Leak shows alleged front panels for Apple's new 5.8-, 6.1- & 6.5-inch iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2018
On Tuesday a prominent leak source showed off what are claimed to be front panels for all of Apple's 2018 iPhones, which if authentic, reaffirm expected features.

2018 iPhone panels

The panels are sized at 5.8, 6.1, and 6.5 inches, according to Ben Geskin. All three point to edge-to-edge displays, and iPhone X-style notches to accommodate a TrueDepth camera for Face ID and animoji. Significantly the 6.1-inch panel appears to have slightly thicker bezels, which might back indications that it will use LCD technology instead of the OLED built into its companions.

The origin of the panels is unknown, but parts leaks are common ahead of iPhone launches, and Geskin has produced authentic leaks in the past.

Using LCD on the 6.1-inch phone should allow Apple to sell it at a cheaper price, likely between $600 and $700. While the 5.8-inch phone may be cheaper than the iPhone X, it's still expected to cost between $800 and $900, mostly because of the expense of OLED coupled with Apple's desire to keep up profit margins.

Besides the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone first rumored in January, Apple is rumored to add two new OLED models to its iPhone lineup this fall including a 5.8-inch iPhone X replacement. A 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" is also supposedly in the works.

All 2018 iPhones are said to boast logic boards built on substrate-like PCB (SLP) technologies first adopted by iPhone X and iPhone 8. The 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhone models will sport stacked board designs like iPhone X, while the 6.1-inch LCD model will stick to a traditional single-layer layout, Kuo said.

Manufacturers will adopt a finer pitch of 28-30 nanometers on the boards, down from the 30-35 nanometers applied to 2017 phones, as part of efforts to reduce PCB size and improve energy efficiency.

Current price predictions put the 6.1-inch LCD phone pricing at between $600 and $700.

Moving up the product line, the 5.8-inch OLED model is expected top be between $800 to $900 and the 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" will be priced around $900 to $1000.

All the two OLED models will likely ship in quantity in September and early October. One report claims that the 6.1-inch model will be pushed to November because of difficulties cutting an iPhone X-like "notch" out of a LCD panel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I'm still confused about this lineup. I don't understand how they're going to market the mid-sized LCD model in comparison to the other two. It appears that it'll have slightly thicker bezels, but what other differentiating factors will there be that separates it from the OLED models to the average consumer? I don't think most people are going to know or care about the difference between LCD and OLED. Plastic body like the 5c? :)
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 41
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    I'm still confused about this lineup. I don't understand how they're going to market the mid-sized LCD model in comparison to the other two. It appears that it'll have slightly thicker bezels, but what other differentiating factors will there be that separates it from the OLED models to the average consumer? I don't think most people are going to know or care about the difference between LCD and OLED. Plastic body like the 5c? :)
    The LCD model is rumored to have a single back camera, no 3D Touch, aluminum frame instead of steel, the aforementioned larger bezels, and the usual segmentation in storage and maybe SoC. It will look less “pretty” for lack of a better term. 

No 3D Touch stings imo. That maybe implies no Taptic Engine, or a lessor version of it. 
    avon b7netmagecurtis hannahjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 41
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    Might be counting on the fact that there is a large portion of the population that doesn't want their stupid phone to get even bigger.  There is no phone in this lineup that my dad would even consider using and I'll be forced to buy the 5.8" just to have the smaller sized device (and it's slightly bigger than my current 4.7").  It would be nice if they offered more differentiation on screen sizes and came out with a high end phone with a slightly smaller size.

Their designers should be forced to hold a baby and use the phone at the same time for a week or two before releasing a larger screen.  And they have to pay for it every time they drop it...
    freethinkingAI_liaswilliamlondoncurtis hannahmariorandominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 41
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    tomahawk said:
    Might be counting on the fact that there is a large portion of the population that doesn't want their stupid phone to get even bigger.  There is no phone in this lineup that my dad would even consider using and I'll be forced to buy the 5.8" just to have the smaller sized device (and it's slightly bigger than my current 4.7").  It would be nice if they offered more differentiation on screen sizes and came out with a high end phone with a slightly smaller size.

Their designers should be forced to hold a baby and use the phone at the same time for a week or two before releasing a larger screen.  And they have to pay for it every time they drop it…
    It doesn't sound like you're replying to the post you quoted…?
    williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 41
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I'm thinking the 6.4" OLED model will be AT LEAST $1,000.  I don't see Apple offering it for less than $999 and possibly all the way up to $1,149.

At the reported prices I will be in the market for the LCD model as long as it hits the $699 mark.  Now if the 5.8" device can hit $799 I would probably get it instead, but I just don't see that happening.

My prediction is the 5.8" and 6.4" OLED models will have base storage of 128GB and start at $869 and $999 while the 6.1" LCD model will be $699 with 64GB storage.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 6 of 41
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tht said:
    The LCD model is rumored to have a single back camera, no 3D Touch, aluminum frame instead of steel, the aforementioned larger bezels, and the usual segmentation in storage and maybe SoC. It will look less “pretty” for lack of a better term. 

No 3D Touch stings imo. That maybe implies no Taptic Engine, or a lessor version of it. 
    I personally don’t see a single one of those things to be a deal breaker for the average consumer, especially not 3D Touch. The very idea that Apple might leave a next generation iPhone without 3D Touch suggests it’s not such a vital technology. I’d expect more people to make a decision based on the camera technology, but that’s about it from that list.
    williamlondonSoundJudgment
  • Reply 7 of 41
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    mac_128 said:
    tht said:

I personally don’t see a single one of those things to be a deal breaker for the average consumer, especially not 3D Touch. The very idea that Apple might leave a next generation iPhone without 3D Touch suggests it’s not such a vital technology. I’d expect more people to make a decision based on the camera technology, but that’s about it from that list.
    It’s a combination of camera and physical size for me. 256g storage is also on my list. 
  • Reply 8 of 41
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I don't get the sizes. It looks to be Apple going all in with just BIG Phones!!! 6" phones are pretty large and the smallest is 5.8" with it going up to 6.5"? To me that seems crazy.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 9 of 41
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    tomahawk said:

Their designers should be forced to hold a baby and use the phone at the same time for a week or two before releasing a larger screen.  And they have to pay for it every time they drop it...

Bless your dad and his vision. Personally my eyesight welcomes the larger phone. I am also not a small person so my 8 Plus fits my hands just fine and the extra screen is welcome in my use case.

Considering how well the plus models have sold since the iPhone 6 I may have to disagree with the statement "Might be counting on the fact that there is a large portion of the population that doesn't want their stupid phone to get even bigger".  That may be true for some folks here on AI but a large portion of the population feels like a stretch.

If you are holding a baby and trying to text or Facebook or whatever I have no suggestion for that. Maybe put the phone down finish with the baby and then resume what you were doing with the phone?

• Reply 10 of 41

How will they market it? Um...as the cheaper large iphone. Not everyone will want to shell out $1,000 plus for the large OLED iphone.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 11 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    6.5! They're not afraid to make large phones are they? I wish they would take the same attitude with their laptops and give us a 17" again.

Has anyone extrapolated the X and Y dimensions?
    edited July 2018 curtis hannah
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    jcs2305 said:

Bless your dad and his vision. Personally my eyesight welcomes the larger phone. I am also not a small person so my 8 Plus fits my hands just fine and the extra screen is welcome in my use case.

That's weird, given that text is the same size on the larger phones, there's just more of it. Unless you bump up the type size, which the SE can also do.

With the non-release of any kind of SE 2, I was afraid I'd have to bump up a size this fall, but iOS 12 beta is so damned fast on this thing that I'll do just fine for at least another year on the SE. Hopefully by then someone at Apple will remember that the best-selling iPod was the Nano…
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 41
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    It still sounds weird that the mid size will be the lower model. It does sound like they are trying to drop back the prices, hopefully. $1k for the X over the 8 or 8+ is not worth it in my opinion.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jbdragon said:
    I don't get the sizes. It looks to be Apple going all in with just BIG Phones!!! 6" phones are pretty large and the smallest is 5.8" with it going up to 6.5"? To me that seems crazy.
    When you eliminate most of the borders around the screen, size to side, as well as top and bottom, you can put a larger screen in a smaller body. The 5.8” is smaller than what you might think, though not as small as a 5”.

i also didn’t want a big phone, but when both my daughter, and very surprisingly, my wife voted for the 7+, I got one that year as well. For a couple of days it seemed a bit big, but you get used to it quickly, unless you are determined to not like it. Then, you will never get used to it. This year is our upgrade year, and we’ll all be getting the 6.47” models.

in addition, it turns out that the smaller, and cheaper iPhones aren’t selling nearly as well as the bigger, and more expensive models. You think that Apple could be influenced by that, because I do.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 15 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Eric_WVGG said:
    jcs2305 said:

That's weird, given that text is the same size on the larger phones, there's just more of it. Unless you bump up the type size, which the SE can also do.

With the non-release of any kind of SE 2, I was afraid I'd have to bump up a size this fall, but iOS 12 beta is so damned fast on this thing that I'll do just fine for at least another year on the SE. Hopefully by then someone at Apple will remember that the best-selling iPod was the Nano…
    It’s just the opposite for the phones though, the bigger phones are the best sellers, by far.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 16 of 41
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    tht said:

I know it’s there and I hardly ever use it. To each their own but I’ve met very few people that use it. I would imagine it doesn’t impact the average user. If they leave it off, they must think the same thing. 
  • Reply 17 of 41
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Hope they will keep making new phones in 4.7 size and SE as well.  There has to be some Execs at Apple that know many people do not want big screens.  When the 4.7 size came out a few years back a co-worker bounced the new phone up and down in one hand and said “it’s the perfect size!”   it really is a great size and even the total one handed use of the SE phone is awesome
    h4y3s
  • Reply 18 of 41
    seankill said:
    tht said:

I know it’s there and I hardly ever use it. To each their own but I’ve met very few people that use it. I would imagine it doesn’t impact the average user. If they leave it off, they must think the same thing. 
    I've become addicted to the ability to move the insert cursor around in text by doing a force-press-and-drag on the popup keyboard.  I wonder what percentage of users knows that that's available.
    StrangeDaysh4y3sfastasleep
  • Reply 19 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    seankill said:
    tht said:

Not including it on a new phone would signal that Apple doesn’t think it’s important. Wrong signal to send especially if the decision was just a financial one. If Apple no longer thinks 3D Touch is important that’s a shame and shows they didn’t do enough to promote it and make it as useful as it could be.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 20 of 41
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    tomahawk said:

I don't like small phones but believe there is huge demand for them. I'm optimistic that the SE could see an update.