Apple releases fourth developer betas of iOS 12, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has rolled out new developer betas for its milestone operating systems, with fourth beta builds of iOS 12, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5 available for testing one day after the newest beta of macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Developers enrolled into the testing program can acquire the new builds from the Apple Developer Center, or as over-the-air updates for devices using previous beta versions. Public beta versions usually ship within a few days of the developer betas, and will be downloadable from the Apple Beta Software Program website.

The fourth beta of iOS 12 is build number 16A5327f, replacing the third beta with build number 16A5318d.

Performance improvements are being included in iOS 12 to make it more useful for those with older iPhones and iPads, not just for newer models. As part of the same update, iPhone X-inspired gestures and notification grouping will be introduced for iPad users, giving them some of the same comfort features as the premium smartphone.

A new focus on digital health is also apparent in iOS 12, including Screen Time allowing users to monitor their app usage and introduce restrictions to help reduce their dependency on certain types of apps.

New versions of stock apps, including Stocks, News, Weather, and Voice Memos are being included, while a new first-party app Measure will take advantage of ARKit to measure objects in 3D space, using the rear camera. Siri Shortcuts, Group FaceTime, MeMoji, and third-party map support in CarPlay are also included.

The fourth tvOS 12 beta is replacing the third beta, which had build number 16J5313d. At the time of writing, the download page shows the fourth beta to have the same build number as the third, but this is likely to update later today.

Arguably the biggest change for tvOS 12 is support for Dolby Atmos surround sound, which is capable of locating sounds in 3D space, without relying on discrete channels. There are also more home control systems that will link their remotes to the Apple TV and include Siri support as part of the release.

Cross-device Autofill aims to make it easier for user to sign into apps on the Apple TV if they have already logged in on an iOS device. For cable users, more cable services have said they will use the Apple TV as an alternate to the cable box, including Charter Spectrum later in 2018, France's Canal+, and Switzerland's Salt. Single Sign-On will become Zero Sign-On in some cases, with the Apple TV automatically signing the user into channel apps after detecting what provider's network is being used.

The Aerial screensaver will also get a boost, with extra details about photographed locations able to be brought onscreen by a swipe and a tap. A new Aerial view called "Earth" will show the planet, filmed from the International Space Station.

Apple's fourth beta for watchOS 5 has build number 16R5322d, up from the third build's 16R5313d.

The key addition to watchOS 5 is the Walkie Talkie app, which offers push-to-talk communications with a contact's Apple Watch. Pressing the on-screen button immediately opens the line, playing what the transmitting user is saying through the receiving Apple Watch's speaker.

The Siri watch face can now accept third-party apps, including some provided by Nike. Siri has been updated to be activated by a raise of the wrist, instead of requiring the user to state "Hey Siri" as a prompt.

Users can sign up for seven-day activity competitions against their contacts, with progress updates shared between participants, and the potential to win awards. Specific types of workouts are allowed in the mode, including yoga, hiking, and 12 others, along with running outdoors with pace alerts.

Automatic workout detection is also included, along with stress detection if it determines the user has stopped exercising.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly advise against installing beta releases on mission-critical hardware, due to the potential for data loss. Those interested in testing the betas out should use secondary devices, and to keep backups of any important data before installing or performing updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kipowskykipowsky Posts: 31member
    Public Beta, please oh please.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    It seems Toyota, Subaru, and other car makers are not releasing their 2019 cars now with new CarPlay feature because they are waiting for the official release of iOS 12. iOS 12 must have some brand new features for CarPlay. 
  • Reply 3 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tzeshan said:
    It seems Toyota, Subaru, and other car makers are not releasing their 2019 cars now with new CarPlay feature because they are waiting for the official release of iOS 12. iOS 12 must have some brand new features for CarPlay. 
    Why does that matter since CarPlay resides on the iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    CarPlay is different from AirPlay? How? 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    I'm not following your flow from talking about CarPlay into wondering how AirPlay works. If your'e assuming they are the same thing under different names, they aren't.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    I'm not following your flow from talking about CarPlay into wondering how AirPlay works. If your'e assuming they are the same thing under different names, they aren't.
    CarPlay is a specialized form of AirPlay. But iOS won't allow an external display to have touch capability. Auto display must have some special built in thing to allow CarPlay to function. For example, iOS 12 will allow Google Map to work. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    CarPlay is a specialized form of AirPlay. But iOS won't allow an external display to have touch capability. Auto display must have some special built in thing to allow CarPlay to function. For example, iOS 12 will allow Google Map to work. 
    When you use CarPlay in a suitably equipped vehicle, the vehicles touch screen does in deed function. You dont even need to remove iPhone from your pocket.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    1) Do you have any data to back up your assertion that "CarPlay is a specialized form of AirPlay"? I've never heard it described that way. I can see how some of the same protocols for AirPlay might be used for wireless CarPlay, but it sure seems like a great deal of CarPlay has nothing to do with Airplay at all.

Wikipedia states that "
    AirPlay is a proprietary protocol stack/suite developed by Apple Inc. that allows wireless streaming between devices of audio, video, device screens, and photos, together with related metadata." That sounds right to me.

For CarPlay it says it's "an Apple standard that enables a car radio or head unit to be a display and also act as a controller for an iPhone." That also sounds correct to me.

2) IOS for the iPhone will absolutely "allow an external display to have touch capability." That's one of the core features of CarPlay. The CarPlay UI being pushed from an iPhone, as well as the physical button setup, and how that data is then packaged to be received by the iPhone is the standard Apple created to allow automobile and headunit manufactures a way to connect with the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I have not experienced a single crash or glitch with iOS12 beta since I installed it on either iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV, all of which are used heavily. I'm beyond impressed, never seen anything like this before.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 10 of 14
    crabbycrabby Posts: 38member
    re tvOS12 beta: "Arguably the biggest change for tvOS 12 is support for Dolby Atmos surround sound,.." while this article talks about the developer betas, I have, as many of you, installed the Public beta OS12. While all the switches and notes are present, I have not yet had any program with ATMOS play. Has anybody listened to a program with ATMOS actually working?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    slurpy said:
    I have not experienced a single crash or glitch with iOS12 beta since I installed it on either iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV, all of which are used heavily. I'm beyond impressed, never seen anything like this before.
    These really are amazing betas across the board.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    I’m on public beta 2 on a mini 2 and an iPad 5. I would not guess this was a beta version if I didn’t know. It runs circles around 11.4.1 or any earlier version.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 13 of 14
    zhtwayzhtway Posts: 17member
    slurpy said:
    For me, there are several crashes b4 this current beta. 1) Phone app frozen 2) Office 365 held up syncing/receiving all emails in Email App 3) App switcher crashed several times randomly 4) Feedback app also crashed. lol. 5) missed call voice mail were not there 6) News, Message, Camera, Photo app also crashed random and occasionally. But it is much more stable than other releases :smiley: .
  • Reply 14 of 14
    kipowskykipowsky Posts: 31member
    I run second public (third dev) iOS beta and at first glance it’s run smoother and better than any previous new iOS betas. But I’ve had issues with Messages (new messages shows in notification, but not in app), Photos (long download times from iCloud) and memory issues (slower as time progress). Also some issues with Keychain (slow, uneven) and lot’s of wifi / cellular connection issues (that in part could be the apps are made for iOS 11 and not updated to iOS 12 standards and protocol). But mostly it’s pretty fine!