New Samsung ad attacks iPhone X download speed, ignores performance benchmarks

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2018
Samsung's latest ad attacking the iPhone compares the download speeds of iPhone X to that of the Galaxy S9 while at the same time poking fun at Apple Store employees.

The ad, titled "Ingenious: Speed," is set within a bright retail environment clearly meant to reflect an Apple store. It starts off with a woman waiting to be helped by an employee. Quickly, the worker, complete with an Apple logo t-shirt, approaches to make a sale.

When asked about iPhone X's download speeds, the employee boasts they are faster than those of iPhone 8. She responds with apprehension, looking for confirmation that iPhone X is not as fast at downloading data as the Galaxy S9. Her query renders the employee speechless, with his only response being an unending, "Ummmm..."

Samsung touts data obtained from Ookla's Speedtest Intelligence Data obtained February through April of 2018 as the basis for the claim. Weighted average download speeds of all major LTE carriers were compared.

In our own testing of the S9+ vs iPhone X, we saw no such numbers, largely due to the actual speeds we were able to achieve in our area. Others out there, where faster speeds were available, were able to achieve some pretty remarkable download results on the S9 and S9+.

Regardless, the ad clearly doesn't step into other, arguably more crucial, areas of phone performance where our tests had iPhone X in a clear lead. Looking at the Geekbench results, iPhone X completely destroys the S9+, especially in single core performance. The iPhone came in with single- and multi-core scores of 4,243 and 10,433, respectively, while the S9+ managed scores of 2,007 and 8,307.

Graphics-wise, iPhone X still outpaced the S9+. The S9+ scored 14,308, very close to, but not topping, iPhone's 15,177. In all our testing, there were a couple tests where the S9+ won out, but by-and-large the iPhone X was the more powerful device.

Next year, Samsung is expected to release the Galaxy S10 and S10+, which will most likely attempt to more evenly compete with Face ID. Currently, the S9 and S9+ use a 2D scanner when validating a face and is much less accurate than Apple's 3D infrared TrueDepth camera system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Different worlds:
    When unable to produce a charger, what priority would 1.3% faster downloads have.
    Anyway, everybody his favorite thing.
    Happy claiming at the Apple servicedesk...
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 2 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    You know you're losing when all your ads have to focus on a competitor so much that you have their devices and logos plastered on screen for most of it.

I doubt that Samsung is really expecting to convert iPhone users with this ad. I'd say it's more geared toward those that already hate Apple—for whatever reason—and aren't certain what Android-based smartphone to buy.
    edited July 2018 randominternetpersonracerhomie3lostkiwifotoformatRayz2016anton zuykovAlex1Nwatto_cobraairnerdGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Latko said:
    ...what priority would 1.3% faster downloads have.
    I don't think it comes to that. Even if the Samsung device has faster theoretical throughput for cellular and/or WiFi, it's a moot point if your connection to the tower, WiFi Router, and/or ISP backbone can't begin to handle that capacity. That's why I'm fine with Apple using Intel chips over Qualcomm, even if Qualcomm's chips allow for better Tx/Rx speeds.

edit: So the Galaxy S9+ has a CAT 18 LTE modem which has a theoretical download speed of 1.2Gibps. So what does that mean in real world use for loading a website? Or uploading a video to Dropbox?
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Don’t even give them the extra view. It’s pathetic .
    lostkiwimwhiteAlex1Nwatto_cobrajahblademagman1979StrangeDaysclaire1
  • Reply 5 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    My first thought was someone at Samesung decided, "lets make an ad that includes an Apple trademark and other representations of their IP and see if their lawyers sue us so we get free publicity."
    mwhiteAvieshekAlex1Nwatto_cobraairnerdjahbladeronnjbdragonmagman1979jony0
  • Reply 6 of 42
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I  personally think they’re doing this because the S9 has been such a flop . 50% sales down over last 2 years.
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobraSoundJudgmentjahbladejbdragonmagman1979claire1
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow. 

This is absolutely reeks of desperation. 

Surely things can’t be that bad  

I  personally think they’re doing this because the S9 has been such a flop . 50% sales down over last 2 years.
    Oh, okay, so maybe they are. 

The really odd thing is that their problem isn’t being caused by Apple, which makes this all the more desperate. 
    edited July 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobraronnjbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 42
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Dear Samsung.
    How about making a product that does no need to be compered to the cometition and that sets you aside. However you keep what you are doing best is to copy and in some minuscule aspect of your product performs better than the device of the competition and you boast about it.
    Try a little harder coming up with a real innovation that is a game changer...
    watto_cobraradarthekatjbdragonclaire1
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Soli said:
    You know you're losing when all your ads have to focus on a competitor so much that you have their devices and logos plastered on screen for most of it.

I doubt that Samsung is really expecting to convert iPhone users with this ad. I'd say it's more geared toward those that already hate Apple—for whatever reason—and aren't certain what Android-based smartphone to buy.
    So when Apple do the same "Hello I'm a Mac and I'm a .." it is funny and classy adds!!! But when somebody do the same with Apple then you are a loser. Not that I think the add is funny as this type of adds was fun 10+ years ago. I think it says more about the lack creativity of the advertising company than Samsung. I have both an Samsung phone and iPhone (3 to X) and they are all sort of buggy. Only reason why I have an iPhone is because it connects with my MBP (most of the time)
    Avieshekradarthekatclaire1
  • Reply 10 of 42
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Did anyone actually think, "My data speed is too slow, time for me to switch to Samsung!" I have NEVER once think about the data speed on my iPhone. They provide plenty of speed. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraradarthekatSoundJudgmentronn
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Soli said:

So when Apple do the same "Hello I'm a Mac and I'm a .." it is funny and classy adds!!! But when somebody do the same with Apple then you are a loser. Not that I think the add is funny as this type of adds was fun 10+ years ago. I think it says more about the lack creativity of the advertising company than Samsung. I have both an Samsung phone and iPhone (3 to X) and they are all sort of buggy. Only reason why I have an iPhone is because it connects with my MBP (most of the time)
    1) Not classy. What's classy about them? Classic, sure, but not classy. Funny? Absolutely.

2) If you took a good look at the Get a Mac" campaign you'll see that it's not the same kind of ad. They aren't even close. For starters, Apple didn't specifically ever mention an actual competitor until several years into the "Get a Mac" campaign after Windows Vista had been a huge dud. There were several of those ads, but most of them were just a generic, boring business guy (played by John Hodgman in the US and David Mitchell in the UK) pretending to be a generic, brining PC.

Remember, Apple's Macs compete against all PC vendors, and Windows is a given so while not ideal to mention their competing OS, it was a kick em when they're down moment, but they aren't mentioning any specific PC vendor. This isn't by accident. The primary focus is on all the things that all those generic WinPCs have in common. That's who Hodgman and Mitchell pretended to be.

Do you really not see the difference when they refer to all things under the umbrella as "PC", which technically would include Macs, except that Apple specifically makes a point to set itself apart as being unique from "PCs." The focus of Apple's attack ads v Samsung's couldn't be more obvious to me.
    edited July 2018 racerhomie3mwhiteAlex1Nwatto_cobraentropysbrucemcronnclaire1
  • Reply 12 of 42
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Why are people complaining, in the end, it's the consumers. Americans consumers are emotional idiots.
    prismatics
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 130member
    Humph. I posted this when there was no-one else about - but it didn't show up.

What I said was - more or less:

Samsung are either smarting at the loss of part of their OLED iPhone screen contract and are taking it out on Apple (as only they, Samsung, know how), or they want to lose even more of said contract.

Maybe I pressed the wrong button in my haste (I was almost out the door when I did it).
    edited July 2018 watto_cobraronnclaire1
  • Reply 14 of 42
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    I don’t understand why they’re so obsessed with Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

Er … no, "I'm a Mac…" wasn't a great line of ads either in my opinion. They ran them in the UK, but not for long.

And it says just as much about Samsung as the advertising company because Samsung saw it and thought it was okay. The advertising company will also take its steer from Samsung in what type of advertising they're aiming for. Looking at the result, the brief was something along the lines of "We got nothin', so come up with an ad that's a deflection from that."

And in that regard, the advertising company probably did the best they could.
    edited July 2018 watto_cobraradarthekatAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 42
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Isn't this Samsung vs Apple, Mac vs PC thing getting old? At this point I think most consumers are smarter than that.

This Samsung ad is just boring and a little bit embarrassing.
    SoliAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 42
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    IreneW said:
    Isn't this Samsung vs Apple, Mac vs PC thing getting old? At this point I think most consumers are smarter than that.

This Samsung ad is just boring and a little bit embarrassing.

I think you are misinterpreting the motivation of the average consumer.
    I would bet that price point is the largest deciding factor & buy-one-get-one deals drive sales far more than an ad like this. 
  • Reply 18 of 42
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    What you really need is fast upload speeds. Then when your S9 randomly decides to send out all your photos to your contacts by Samsung Message, it can send them quickly and use all your data too. /s 
    lkruppAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 42
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I had lunch with a friend here in Cebu, Philippines yesterday.  His Samsung S8 is locked to AT&T back in the states until March of next year, so he can use it only on WiFi here. But he carries a Pocket WiFi router (1000 pesos, about $20/month for unlimited data) so he’s been using it with that to connect, but that doesn’t allow phone calls to local numbers/other cell phones here or texts to same.  So after we had lunch he determined to go buy a new phone that he could load a local SIM into.  He wanted 4g and a decent-sized screen.  We looked at Oppo, Vivo, Huewei, Asus Zenphone amd Samsung.  He picked up a Huewei.  You know why?  Because it had the cheapest price.  Pricessor speed, memory, camera resolution, all printed on the displays in the stores, didn’t even enter the equation for him.  He bought the cheapest one, 6000p, about $120.  This an American friend.  I’ve also shopped with several Filipinas and they decide exactly the same way.  It’s price, price, price once you get down to a certain economic status.  Most of the Android buying market, I’d say, shop the same way.  4g, decent sized screen (just looking at the phones, not reading the diagonal screen size; they eyeball it to see if it feels big enough) and then... which one among those is lowest price?  Sold!

What do they then experience?  Sluggish scrolling, poor capacitive touch screen performance and processor performance that causes them attempt pinching to zoom a pic several times before the pic actually zooms, and phones that die within a year, quickly fill up with pics and apps, distorted images when taking a pic (Oppos tend to elongate selfie images), malfunctioning charging ports, scratched screens, etc.  You get what you pay for.  
    edited July 2018 caladanianronnclaire1Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 42
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Kudos for AI fleshing this out. Samsung promoting ad prime time eg Major League Baseball All Star game. Ad Hominem attack on symbolic Apple employee a low blow. Distinct from prior ads by either company. No shame. Top boys in Seoul acting like wounded animals.
    Alex1N