New Samsung ad attacks iPhone X download speed, ignores performance benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    My iPhone X downloads at over 300 Mbps....plenty fast enough for me....besides I would not own a thing samdung makes....
    claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Samsung used to make the iPhone CPUs for Apple, and at the same time the Galaxy was the iPhone's main competitor. Then Apple moved production of their CPUs away from Samsung (to TSMC) and suddenly Samsung is out of ideas, the Galaxy S8 and S9 both lacklustre. Hmmmmmm...
    claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Why is Apple so skimpy when it comes to system RAM? Are they really saving that much money? Would it really be a waste for Apple to provide 4GB of system RAM? Meaning it wouldn't help performance very much more except on certain benchmark tests. I realize benchmarks shouldn't necessarily drive most consumers to make a decision about a smartphone, so I suppose Apple shouldn't be blamed if some benchmarks are weaker on the iPhone than some other high-end Android smartphone.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Why is Apple so skimpy when it comes to system RAM? Are they really saving that much money? Would it really be a waste for Apple to provide 4GB of system RAM? Meaning it wouldn't help performance very much more except on certain benchmark tests. I realize benchmarks shouldn't necessarily drive most consumers to make a decision about a smartphone, so I suppose Apple shouldn't be blamed if some benchmarks are weaker on the iPhone than some other high-end Android smartphone.
    How does RAM affect download speeds, which is what this commercial is about.? Please list the specific benchmarks that Apple posts weak scores on because of lack of RAM.
    ronn
  • Reply 25 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    You know you're losing when all your ads have to focus on a competitor so much that you have their devices and logos plastered on screen for most of it.

I doubt that Samsung is really expecting to convert iPhone users with this ad. I'd say it's more geared toward those that already hate Apple—for whatever reason—and aren't certain what Android-based smartphone to buy.
    TRUE!
    You know you're a loser when you sell yourself by denigrating the competition -- particularly by twisting, distorting or cherry picking facts...

Pittsburgh Steeler:   "We're the best because the Patriots can't run the ball"....
    (Which is a bad example because a the Rooney's would never let a Steeler say something so stupid).

We are in a post-truth world where the truth is whatever you want to be -- as long as you can back it up with some claim (no matter how ridiculous the claim!).
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 42
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Samsung is like school at 3am in the morning - no class...
    claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netrox said:
    Did anyone actually think, "My data speed is too slow, time for me to switch to Samsung!" I have NEVER once think about the data speed on my iPhone. They provide plenty of speed. 
    Well, when that’s all you got I guess.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hilarious how the haters here drag out those Mac vs PC ads from 2006 (12 years ago). By the way... In 2010, Adweek declared “ Get a Mac” to be the best advertising campaign of the first decade of the new century.

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/apples-get-mac-complete-campaign-130552/

Let us know when these Samsung ads are lauded by the industry. Apple’s ads were hysterically funny. Samsung’s ads are mean and condescending, attacking the very customers it is trying to lure away from Apple. And to add insult to injury, these ads are not working... at all. Apple has recently overtaken Samsung in the U.S. market.

ronnclaire1Alex1N
  • Reply 29 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    This is a clear case of cherry picking and revisionism, but that's par for the course with most advertising, politics, and recorded history. Always has been and always will be. If these techniques didn't work or gain any traction with at least a portion of the intended audience they wouldn't keep doing it. It's not that people are universally gullible or stupid, they're not, it's simply an inherent limitation of human cognition that once served a useful purpose for human survival but is now an easily exploitable weakness. Unfortunately, the ill effects caused by these vestigial cognitive weaknesses cannot be surgically removed like an inflamed appendix can be. It's an ongoing struggle, even for people who are somewhat aware of their own vulnerability to exploitation. 

As far as the "I'm a Mac" commercials are concerned, they were quite effective. A friend of mine who works for MSFT admitted to me that those commercials created a major butt hurt sentiment within the company. The bigger question is whether they've gotten over it? Under Balmer, I'd say no, and I think it clouded his thinking and crippled his effectiveness. He never moved on. Under Nadella I think Microsoft has truly moved on. IMHO of course... 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    How does RAM affect download speeds, which is what this commercial is about.? Please list the specific benchmarks that Apple posts weak scores on because of lack of RAM.
    I think it's about the cellular (and WiFi) radios in the device. I think that Samsung sells the device in at least one region with a CAT 18 LTE radio, which means it's capable of a theoretical 1.2 Gibps download speeds.

They don't mention in the ad that those speeds aren't actually possible anywhere outside of a lab, but why would they when their claim is that it's faster than an iPhone. In terms of a raw speed test it probably is, but what matters is usability. How fast can Safari load pages or connected apps send and receive data? Those are the benchmarks that are important. Even without knowing that I think the average user knows there's something hinky with Samsung's ad without being able to define what it is.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 31 of 42
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Soli said:
    You know you're losing when all your ads have to focus on a competitor so much that you have their devices and logos plastered on screen for most of it.

I doubt that Samsung is really expecting to convert iPhone users with this ad. I'd say it's more geared toward those that already hate Apple—for whatever reason—and aren't certain what Android-based smartphone to buy.
    So when Apple do the same "Hello I'm a Mac and I'm a .." it is funny and classy adds!!! But when somebody do the same with Apple then you are a loser. Not that I think the add is funny as this type of adds was fun 10+ years ago. I think it says more about the lack creativity of the advertising company than Samsung. I have both an Samsung phone and iPhone (3 to X) and they are all sort of buggy. Only reason why I have an iPhone is because it connects with my MBP (most of the time)

You really have to DIG for a old ad. A ad for Mac's. The simple fact is Apple hasn't done anything like that with any of their other products that I know of. No iPhone ad's, Apple Watch ad's, AppleTV ad's, etc have ever compared to anyone else. Apple only focuses on their own product. Generally showing off a couple of key features.

Samesung, is always copying Apple and then running ad's where they're bashing Apple and their users. How they expect to get any Apple users to buy their products after insulting them? They do it all the time. This is just the latest. Really though, it's free advertising for Apple. Look at that Apple Logo up on screen the whole time. Why they think any of these commercials work? I think they do it to get all the Apple haters on their side and to buy their phones.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    Soli said:

So when Apple do the same "Hello I'm a Mac and I'm a .." it is funny and classy adds!!! But when somebody do the same with Apple then you are a loser. Not that I think the add is funny as this type of adds was fun 10+ years ago. I think it says more about the lack creativity of the advertising company than Samsung. I have both an Samsung phone and iPhone (3 to X) and they are all sort of buggy. Only reason why I have an iPhone is because it connects with my MBP (most of the time)
    You really have to DIG for a old ad. A ad for Mac's. The simple fact is Apple hasn't done anything like that with any of their other products that I know of. No iPhone ad's, Apple Watch ad's, AppleTV ad's, etc have ever compared to anyone else. Apple only focuses on their own product. Generally showing off a couple of key features.

Samesung, is always copying Apple and then running ad's where they're bashing Apple and their users. How they expect to get any Apple users to buy their products after insulting them? They do it all the time. This is just the latest. Really though, it's free advertising for Apple. Look at that Apple Logo up on screen the whole time. Why they think any of these commercials work? I think they do it to get all the Apple haters on their side and to buy their phones.
    They have one ad that infamously did worse than directly attacking a competitor… they attacked the very consumer base they were trying to convert. It wasn't in any way a humorous ad, either. Who thought this ad was a good idea?

Alex1N
  • Reply 33 of 42
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    If I were in a bar and this ad played on TV, with no sound or without seeing the beginning or end of it, I would have guessed it was some weird Apple ad. 

And download speeds? Like, is that an actually the main concern these days when picking out a smartphone?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Soli said:

Yeah I was just gonna say why don't they focus on their phone and stop giving Apple free ads? Do you ever see Apple doing these pointless comparison ads? Why doesn't Samsung creatively display what their phone does and not this my phone does this and their phone doesn't crap. You know...like current Apple ads. Basically, its like a pointless pissing match for Samsung where they're always the winner no matter what. 
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Because iOS doesn't need tons of RAM to function efficiently unlike an Android device which is a RAM sucking hog as are most apps? Plain and simple!
    edited July 2018 claire1Alex1N
  • Reply 36 of 42

jbdragon said:
    Soli said:

The last time Apple did something similar was maybe the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC ads but those ads actually worked really well for Apple, but of course Microsoft helped Apple by releasing a shitty OS (Vista) so Apple was basically rubbing salt into the wound with each ad. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Anachr0nAnachr0n Posts: 37member
    When everybody in a particular marketplace compare themselves to brand X. I tend to buy brand X. 

It’s the same with cars. Chevy once claimed they had better cargo capacity than the Honda Pilot. Chrysler claimed better highway mileage (not even combined mileage)  than Honda Pilot. Which would I buy?  
    Soli
  • Reply 38 of 42
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:

Not even close.... Apples and Oranges.

Apple was speaking truth about the events of an entire market.
    Sammy is directly going for one company, one logo and cherry picking factoids that are irrelevant.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 39 of 42
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Soli said:
    jcs2305 said:
    I think it's about the cellular (and WiFi) radios in the device. I think that Samsung sells the device in at least one region with a CAT 18 LTE radio, which means it's capable of a theoretical 1.2 Gibps download speeds.

They don't mention in the ad that those speeds aren't actually possible anywhere outside of a lab, but why would they when their claim is that it's faster than an iPhone. In terms of a raw speed test it probably is, but what matters is usability. How fast can Safari load pages or connected apps send and receive data? Those are the benchmarks that are important. Even without knowing that I think the average user knows there's something hinky with Samsung's ad without being able to define what it is.
    Thanks. I was asking the OP how his rant about Apple was “skimpy” when it comes to system RAM .. haha. I asked the OP what that had to do with the article about a commercial about download speeds. 

When someone decides to rant,  or make a comment  that has really nothing to do with the article, acting like they are a fan .... but... blah blah blah .. I like to ask questions. 😎
    Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 42
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Ah, samsung.

If every major corporations are scumbags, they can take the crown being the scumbag of scumbags.
    Alex1N