Corning reveals Gorilla Glass 6 likely destined for Apple devices

Posted:
in iPhone
Corning's newest glass technology is claimed to survive higher drops, or at least more drops at lower altitudes, and could potentially make its way into iPhones shipping this fall.

Gorilla Glass 6 uses "an entirely new material" to make it more resistant to multiple falls, Corning said on Wednesday. Under internal lab testing, it survived an average of 15 drops onto rough surfaces from a height of 1 meter (about 3.3 feet), allegedly making it "up to two times better" than Gorilla Glass 5.

The new technology is "currently being evaluated by multiple customers," and should come to market "in the next several months," Corning indicated.

While it's uncertain that Apple is one of those clients, the company has long used Gorilla Glass in products like iPhones, looking to reduce the inherent fragility of glass backs and displays. Cracked screens are one of the most common problems with iPhones, despite Corning's efforts.

The iPhone X uses an all-glass back as well as an edge-to-edge OLED display. Vulnerability may only be exacerbated with this fall's iPhones, since in addition to an updated 5.8-inch model, Apple is also expected to ship 6.1- and 6.5-inch devices.

Apple has sometimes been criticized as emphasizing form over function, preferring to make devices look slick rather than tough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    But the current glass can already survive a 1000 foot fall from an airplane - how are they going to top that?
    JaiOh81jony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    MplsP said:
    But the current glass can already survive a 1000 foot fall from an airplane - how are they going to top that?
    They need to test it from Space. Fly to the edge of the Earth's atmosphere and drop a device, if it cracks upon impact, back to the drawing board. it if it survives, well, that's it they've finally developed glass tech that will withstand anything.

curtis hannahJaiOh81muthuk_vanalingamdamn_its_hot
  • Reply 3 of 19
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    Has it ever been confirmed that Apple uses GG?
    I've heard / read back and forth that it is, and that it isn't.
    ksec
  • Reply 4 of 19
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    Historically, has Apple used Gorilla glass within a few months of announcement of said glass? Or do they leave it for the following year’s phone?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    backstab said:
    I believe it’s confirmed in the first iPhone and possibly the new few after that, but it’s possible that Apple would start to look at alternatives like Dragontrail.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    This is where Apple has done a great job. When they went from the iPhone 4-style design to the 5, they made the screen the first component to come off, not one of the last. I changed the screen on my iPhone 4, talk about a mess. It was a great design change with the end user in mind (and their repair centers).

Plus the iPhone does a good job of protecting the screen. The Samsung edge screen breaks crazy easy from what my two friends tell me. 2 phones, one shattered, one cracked while both were in cases. Both were normal drops.
    edited July 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 19
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    backstab said:
    They used it from the beginning, IMHO, just did not call it GG, instead preferring "ion-X glass" name. But it is the same as Porsche having active suspension management system (PASM (r)) that is just a system from a company that manufactures adjustable shocks... It is essentially, rebranding of a product.
    jbdragonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 19
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    backstab said:
    They used it from the beginning, IMHO, just did not call it GG, instead preferring "ion-X glass" name. But it is the same as Porsche having active suspension management system (PASM (r)) that is just a system from a company that manufactures adjustable shocks... It is essentially, rebranding of a product.
    The funny thing is when iKnockoff users claim "but the Apple screens break faster!!!123"

*FACEPALM*
  • Reply 9 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    dr. x said:
    MplsP said:
    They need to test it from Space. Fly to the edge of the Earth's atmosphere and drop a device, if it cracks upon impact, back to the drawing board. it if it survives, well, that's it they've finally developed glass tech that will withstand anything.

Unless the test drop distance is measured in multiple astronomical units, at least 5 AU or so, I'm slapping a big chunky case on it and breaking Jony's heart. 
    Soli
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    weird that we got to OLED screens before sapphire 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    weird that we got to OLED screens before sapphire 
    In what way?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    simply258 said:
    backstab said:
    I believe it’s confirmed in the first iPhone and possibly the new few after that, but it’s possible that Apple would start to look at alternatives like Dragontrail.
    There's the story that Jobs called Corning to see if they had anything they could use, to which their CEO said yes but that there was no way to rejigger production to get it ready for the iPhone launch in time. Jobs said he could do it and Corning did it.

It's  well worn story but I don't know how true it is. You can find Corning as one of Apple's suppliers on their website, but I eon't think you'll find the GG branding.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 19
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    claire1 said:
    backstab said:
    The funny thing is when iKnockoff users claim "but the Apple screens break faster!!!123"

*FACEPALM*
    Formulation of the glass might not be the same, tho. Apple can ask the manufacturer to change hardness, for example, to meet their cost/material property requirements. 
    edited July 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    dr. x said:
    MplsP said:

You do know that above a couple of hundred feet it doesn't make a difference what the starting altitude is? 
    igohmmm
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    flydog said:
    You do know that above a couple of hundred feet it doesn't make a difference what the starting altitude is? 
    Until you get to a couple hundred miles, at which point thermal ablating matters.
    igohmmm
  • Reply 16 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    “The iPhone X uses an all-glass back as well as an edge-to-edge OLED display.“

The iPhone I’m holding in my hand has an all glass back.  And it’s not an X.  Why leave out mention of the 8 and 8+?   All three 2017 flagship models have glass backs (it’s for wireless charging, remember?).
    edited July 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    backstab said:
    Apple hasn't been using Gorilla Glass for all model for some time. Not sure if they will use it again though. I remember there was a Chinese and Japanese partner in glass. 

Another point worth mentioning again, no one can built leading edge technology that produce 80M unit every year or more. iPhone X was suppose solve this problem.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 18 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The discussion reminds of a hair coloring commercial from my youth:  "Only Her Hairdresser Knows For Sure...."
  • Reply 19 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    simply258 said:
    backstab said:
    There's the story that Jobs called Corning to see if they had anything they could use, to which their CEO said yes but that there was no way to rejigger production to get it ready for the iPhone launch in time. Jobs said he could do it and Corning did it.

It's  well worn story but I don't know how true it is. You can find Corning as one of Apple's suppliers on their website, but I eon't think you'll find the GG branding.
    Apple has also invested over I think $150 Million into Corning Glass. As someone who literally works down the road from where GG is developed in the Southern Tier of Upstate NY, I think its great that Apple invests and continues to use them. 
    edited July 2018