Leaked 'Amber Lake' Intel processors could be used in 12-inch MacBook refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A leak for an unannounced Dell notebook and a Romanian report may have revealed some details about Intel's "Amber Lake" processors, a collection of chips that could be strong candidates for use in a future MacBook refresh.

A regional website for Dell reveals an upcoming 2-in-1 XPS 13 will sport the 8th-generation Intel Core i5-8200Y and i7-8500Y processors, clocked at up to 3.9GHz and 4.2GHz respectively and equipped with 4 megabytes of cache. The two processors are featured alongside 7th-generation Core i5 and Core i7 processors.

The appearance of the two 8th-generation chips on the product page could be considered a confirmation that Intel will be bringing out the "Amber Lake"-based processors in the third quarter of 2018. So far, Intel has only announced the upcoming chips during Computex, but has yet to provide any details about processors in the line.

A report from Romanian publication NextLab offers up details about three processors under the Amber Lake Y banner. Both the Core i5-8200Y and Core i7-8500Y chips are joined by a third, the Core m3-8100Y, which is seemingly designated as the mobile-oriented option.

The Core i5-8200Y is said to have a base clock of 1.3GHz, rising to 3.9GHz when boosted, while the Core i7-8500Y starts from 1.5GHz and rises to 4.2GHz. The Core m3-8100Y ranges from 1.1GHz as a base clock to 3.4GHz under boost.

All three 14-nanometer chips are dual-core with quad threads, have Intel UHD 625 graphics, and crucially have a low thermal design point of 5 Watts. The low temperature, along with the performance of each chip, gives the processors a good chance of appearing in a refreshed 12-inch MacBook in the future.

Rumors have pointed to an update of the MacBook line, such as the model numbers appearing in Eurasian Economic Commission filings in early July, but it is unknown when such a refresh will occur, nor if there are other changes that will be made to the notebook.

Last week, Apple refreshed its MacBook Pro lineup, adding new six-core processors, options for up to 32GB of RAM, a True-Tone display, and a quieter third-generation keyboard. It is possible that some of the new features, such as the membrane addition to the keyboard, could make an appearance in a new 12-inch MacBook model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I was hoping the next 12" MacBook refresh/update would have an Apple CPU/GPU inside of it. I can see both the Air and the regular 12" MacBook having this, along with the Mac mini, and maybe even a lower end 21.5" iMac model, leaving the mid to high end iMacs, MacBook Pro line, and obviously the Mac Pro on Intel or perhaps even AMD based CPU's. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacmcdave
  • Reply 2 of 29
    IanSIanS Posts: 41member
    I think the MacBook will stick with Intel for a while yet. When Apple finally does release Macs with there own chipset inside they will need a clear branding strategy to separate the two families of computers. They could move the Air moniker to the low end for an even smaller lighter Axx powered laptop. Apple also has a history of bringing back old marketing terms so it we see a Mac that is not much larger than the Apple TV perhaps it cold be the Mac Nano. Will be interesting to see how they brand this transition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    But does this rumored new chip support LPDDR4?  Granted the low end of Apple laptops most likely need 32G memory, but the clock speeds sure indicate graphics/video power, and without the memory will not benefit from the faster clock speeds all that much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    IanS said:
    I think the MacBook will stick with Intel for a while yet. When Apple finally does release Macs with there own chipset inside they will need a clear branding strategy to separate the two families of computers. They could move the Air moniker to the low end for an even smaller lighter Axx powered laptop. Apple also has a history of bringing back old marketing terms so it we see a Mac that is not much larger than the Apple TV perhaps it cold be the Mac Nano. Will be interesting to see how they brand this transition.
    I was thinking along the lines of all consumer Macs (laptops and desktops) would be AppleCPU/GPU's and the Pro products all being Intel or AMD based CPU's. The exception being iMac which a lot of Pros use as well, even if its not the iMac Pro which is why I mentioned Apple doing a lower end 21.5" with an AppleCPU that is maybe sub-$1000 and the rest being Intel based. 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    IanS said:
    I was thinking along the lines of all consumer Macs (laptops and desktops) would be AppleCPU/GPU's and the Pro products all being Intel or AMD based CPU's. The exception being iMac which a lot of Pros use as well, even if its not the iMac Pro which is why I mentioned Apple doing a lower end 21.5" with an AppleCPU that is maybe sub-$1000 and the rest being Intel based. 
    You don't see a 12" MacBook as being a consumer-focused Mac?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why not a 13” and 15” MacBook that focuses on battery, and a 13” and 15” (and 17”) MacBook Pro that focuses on power? And then get rid of the Air.
    toddzrxmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Why not a 13” and 15” MacBook that focuses on battery, and a 13” and 15” (and 17”) MacBook Pro that focuses on power? And then get rid of the Air.
    Or make a 12 or 13" MacBook Air (change the name) with an Apple CPU and make it K-12 only to compete with Google Crapbooks? I think Apple should do this anyways. Kinda like what Apple did back in the day with the eMac (Educational Mac), but just don't give in and start selling it to the public like they did with eMac. Obviously Apple isn't gonna sell it at $299, but if they could get it down to maybe $500 or so its a full blown computer running a modern OS that can support Google Classroom, Office365, as well as Apple SchoolWork which is Apple's version of Google Classroom. 
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    I bet Apple is planning on doing something like this, just not with as large as the display sizes you propose.

Macbook 12”, 5W CPU, $1000
    Macbook 13”, 15W CPU, $1300
    Macbook Pro 13”, 28W CPU, $1800
    Macbook Pro 15”, 45W CPU, $2300

it looks like they are rejiggering the bottom half of their laptop lineup, maybe September. The current lineup of MBA13, MB12, and MBP13 FN is going to be retired and replaced with a new lineup to hit the $900 to $1500 price tiers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29

Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    IanS said:
    You don't see a 12" MacBook as being a consumer-focused Mac?
    Yes of course that was in the list of using an Apple CPU. See my first post (the first post in the thread).  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt there are a lot of Pros using a 12" MacBook today. I'd be very surprised if that was the case. At this point, Apple is probably better off using their own CPU in this product anyways if they can make it a smooth transition with macOS, the apps, and 3rd party apps. 

edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    All three 14-nanometer chips are dual-core with quad threads

When the 10 nm Cannon Lake chips were pushed out to 2019, I was wondering what Intel was going to do. If nothing, Apple had nothing to upgrade the MB12 to until 2019. Looks like Amber Lake is the Coffee Lake equivalent for the Y-series, another 14 nm spin. Hopefully Apple will have more changes to the MB than just a processor upgrade.
    arthurbadoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    macxpress said:
    I was hoping the next 12" MacBook refresh/update would have an Apple CPU/GPU inside of it. I can see both the Air and the regular 12" MacBook having this, along with the Mac mini, and maybe even a lower end 21.5" iMac model, leaving the mid to high end iMacs, MacBook Pro line, and obviously the Mac Pro on Intel or perhaps even AMD based CPU's. 
    Companies would have to recompile/update their apps to use Apple's processor. Apple would have to release a version of XCode at WWDC for developers to recompile.
    wozwozarthurbadoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    macxpress said:
    Companies would have to recompile/update their apps to use Apple's processor. Apple would have to release a version of XCode at WWDC for developers to recompile.
    Apple has been through multiple processor changes that required changes to code and a recompile. I predict this will be the easiest of them.
    edited July 2018 arthurbadoozydozenwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    macxpress said:
    I was hoping the next 12" MacBook refresh/update would have an Apple CPU/GPU inside of it. 
    lol rofl aha aha. A ridiculous concept - a) to lose Intel compatibility, b) for all the heartache,  c) makes no sense: if it is faster, then it not suited to the bottom end;  and if it is slower, who wants it anyway. 
    edited July 2018 arthurba
  • Reply 14 of 29
    wozwoz said:
    macxpress said:
    I was hoping the next 12" MacBook refresh/update would have an Apple CPU/GPU inside of it. 
    lol rofl aha aha. A ridiculous concept - a) to lose Intel compatibility, b) for all the heartache,  c) makes no sense: if it is faster, then it not suited to the bottom end;  and if it is slower, who wants it anyway. 
    With that argument I see no reason to believe that Apple will ever use their expertise in chip design to allow for lower cost with less overhead that results in more power efficient chips for a given performance level. Case closed¡
    pscooter63doozydozenwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 29
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    It'll be interesting to see what Apple actually releases this fall, if anything.  Will they release what is effectively a 13" MBA with a retina screen and drop the Air moniker, and kick the 13" MBP nonTB to the curb?  If so, this new MB would have to use Coffee Lake chips and a fan.  On the other hand, if they put one of these Y series chips in it, will it be fast enough to truly replace the current Air in terms of power?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    wozwoz said:
    macxpress said:
    Do you know the amount of people who use consumer Macs to run Windows? I'm sure its a selling point, but people buy Macs to use it as a Mac, not a Windows PC and there is x86 on ARM in case you didn't know. I don't know what other Intel compatibility you're talking about. 

You can laugh all you want and I'll laugh right back at you all day long when it happens. You can see the writing on the wall...apparently you don't. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 154member
    macxpress said:
    wozwoz said:
    macxpress said:
    You can laugh all you want and I'll laugh right back at you all day long when it happens. You can see the writing on the wall...apparently you don't. 
    I think macxpress makes a good argument, but I agree that the writing is on the wall, and it will happen.  

The point is that it won’t happen yet, and probably not for some time.  I remember when Apple ditched PowerPC for Intel - the new hardware was:
    a) not cheaper
    b) a huge leap forward in power
    c) appealing to more people (those who needed a part-time windows pc/full time Mac who couldn’t work out how to use Connectix VPC)

I predict the same for the ARM switch - it will be:
    a) not cheaper
    b) a huge leap forward in both power and life (like a week long battery life like a kindle)
    c) appealing to more people (eg: an iOS / laptop crossover)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    macxpress said:
    Or make a 12 or 13" MacBook Air (change the name) with an Apple CPU and make it K-12 only to compete with Google Crapbooks? I think Apple should do this anyways. Kinda like what Apple did back in the day with the eMac (Educational Mac), but just don't give in and start selling it to the public like they did with eMac. Obviously Apple isn't gonna sell it at $299, but if they could get it down to maybe $500 or so its a full blown computer running a modern OS that can support Google Classroom, Office365, as well as Apple SchoolWork which is Apple's version of Google Classroom. 
    Apple have already said it won't be a Mac if it's solely powered by ARM Soc.
    So either A) further hybrid of Apple Tx and intel if it carries the Mac brand or B) new name completely.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mattinoz said:
    macxpress said:
    Source?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 29
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    macxpress said:
    Source?
    Speaking of rumors, I think there's one says that Apple hired some Intel guys to their Oregon facility to testing some chips.