Got a new iPhone 5s or earlier? Don't try to activate it on Verizon [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2018
U.S. carrier Verizon has announced that it will stop activating any phone that lacks VoLTE, to help advance the company's network to 5G technologies.

iPhone 4S with iOS 9

The iPhone 4s and anything earlier are no longer supported for new activations, and will be permanently disconnected soon. Verizon is looking to jettison its 3G CDMA network, which will only remain functional through the end of 2019, the carrier explained to CNET.

"To facilitate a smooth transition to 4G LTE capable products and services, we are no longer allowing devices that are not 4G LTE capable with VoLTE [voice over LTE] to be activated on our network," it said.

Verizon has only ever supported two 3G-only iPhones on its network, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. At the time 2G and 3G CDMA devices couldn't run on GSM networks like AT&T, and vice versa, which forced Apple to make CDMA-capable iPhones, Verizon being the first U.S. carrier to get one.

While the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c had support for LTE networks, Apple's iPhone 6 was the first device to support VoLTE. Verizon's original statement is explicit about the support line, and AppleInsider has now confirmed what devices can be activated through Verizon.

LTE has become a relatively universal standard, largely to the benefit of both carriers and the public. It's also scalable in terms of bandwidth, in some cases making it faster than landline internet connections.

The industry is already setting the stage for 5G cellular, often seen as essential to supporting technologies like self-driving cars and augmented or virtual reality. U.S. carriers are engaged in early 5G rollouts.

Apple has been testing 5G for some time, suggesting it wants to be quick to adopt the technology. It may choose to skip Intel 5G modems, at least at first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Now you know why QCOM is going after Apple, once VZ and Sprint Kill off CDMA QCOM really does not have much, they share in the LTE and 5G technologies and QCOM can not force equipment companies like us their tech since VZ required it. Once VZ drops CDMA then Apple and others will have choose in the chips and Apple could design their own Chip and license the require IP verse being force to us QCOM to support VZ.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 25
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    The 5 and 5s have LTE which works for data but they don’t have VoLTE for voice. 
  • Reply 3 of 25
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Who uses iPhone 4 or before? This affects only a tiny percentage of buyers.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    The iPhone 4s or before is crazily old now anyway!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Every other news source is saying iPhone 5 or earlier because while the iPhone 5 supports LTE it does not support VoLTE. So we need some clarification and soon.
    lynnfarley
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lkrupp said:
    Every other news source is saying iPhone 5 or earlier because while the iPhone 5 supports LTE it does not support VoLTE. So we need some clarification and soon.
    Working on it.

Edit - there.
    edited July 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 25
    They didn't want a flood of $50 AT&T prepaid iPhone SE after six month of usage being unlocked and sold as Verizon devices
  • Reply 8 of 25
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    The iPhone SE is supported as it is newer than the 5s and it does have VoLTE, HD voice, and WiFi calling. 
  • Reply 9 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Hmmm, does this mean that my 5s will just suddenly cease making calls one day soon? I haven’t gotten any messages from Verizon about it. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    hexclock said:
    Hmmm, does this mean that my 5s will just suddenly cease making calls one day soon? I haven’t gotten any messages from Verizon about it. 
    Yes, at the end of 2019 when the CDMA network is shut off.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Drats! I was on my way to activate my new iPhone 2G!!!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Planned obsolesce! /s
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Fortunately GSM is the standard for the majority of the world. Apple just gave me a brand new iPhone 5s to replace my original phone 5s which developed the swollen battery problem. I use it as a backup travel phone to pop in local sims.
    rcfa
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    payeco said:
    I wonder what people with flip phones are supposed to do. Some people neither want nor need a smartphone.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 25
    payeco said:
    I wonder what people with flip phones are supposed to do. Some people neither want nor need a smartphone.

When peak smartphone is hit, this will be the new avenue - dumbphones!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    payeco said:
    Both the phones and their owners are too old to be activated...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maestro64 said:
    Now you know why QCOM is going after Apple, once VZ and Sprint Kill off CDMA QCOM really does not have much, they share in the LTE and 5G technologies and QCOM can not force equipment companies like us their tech since VZ required it. Once VZ drops CDMA then Apple and others will have choose in the chips and Apple could design their own Chip and license the require IP verse being force to us QCOM to support VZ.
    Good Point!

Bye-Bye Qualcomm!  It's been nice -- here's your gold watch.  
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Verizon better get to work on updating a lot of their network coverage in rural areas, and pretty quick. I travel monthly through many areas that barely even get 1x or 3G, so that means those would turn into dead zones. T-Mobile's LTE works better in those areas, even maintaining LTE signal in areas that Verizon has no coverage or 1x, Sprint was the same, and AT&T wasn't much better. 
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I have a 5s. Itis a beautful phone. Holding a huge platform up to my face feels ridiculous, so I would never buy a new phone so big it is unmanageable. I use this phone for calls & audio books & programs. It is a classically built tool. Now I need to know if it will be completely obsolescent in The foreseeable future.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    DangDave said:
    The 5 and 5s have LTE which works for data but they don’t have VoLTE for voice.