Samsung continues attacking iPhone and Apple Stores in ad campaign

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung is continuing to attack the iPhone in its "Ingenious" ad campaign, introducing three more videos ridiculing Apple over the iPhone's removal of the headphone jack, not including a fast-charging adapter in the box, and its photographic abilities.

In all three of the new videos in the campaign, Samsung shows customers asking questions about the iPhone X and the Galaxy S9 at a mock-up Apple Store. The "Ingenious" campaign name plays on the in-store Genius employees, with the actors in those roles giving what could be considered sub-genius responses.

The "Dongle" ad spot attempts to make fun of the iPhone's use of a headphone adapter to enable users to listen to music with wired headphones. The actor playing the customer asks what to do if they need to charge the iPhone at the same time, with an Apple Store employee suggesting the use of another dongle.

"Fast Charger" notes the iPhone X does not ship with a fast charger in the box, while Samsung's Galaxy S9 does. The store employee flatly advises the customer could buy a "fast charging adapter" and the USB-C to Lightning cable separately, with the advice of buying more accessories serving as the punchline for the clip.

Lastly, "Camera" mentions how the Galaxy S9 has a higher DxOMark score than the iPhone X, achieving 99 to the iPhone X's 97 mark.

The three new spots continue the "Ingenious" ad campaign that commenced on Tuesday. The first video, "Speed," makes the claim that the Galaxy S9 is capable of faster download speeds than the iPhone X.

The latest campaign is certainly not the first time Samsung has taken aim at its main rival in the smartphone market. Another ad released in May depicted a user becoming frustrated at the speed of her iPhone 6, poking fun at advice from an Apple Store employee suggesting to disable "performance management" features or to buy a new iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    From Apple: Thanks again for the free advertising! 

Desperate times call for desperate measures!
    kkqd1337racerhomie3nunzyclaire1jeffharrischiawatto_cobralamboaudi4jbdragon[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 56
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    With all the recent quality issues, they should have plenty of material to work with.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Quality issues? How about sending all your pictures to a random contact without warning and without trace? If Apple had done anything like that people would be rioting in the streets, Samsung pulls this stunt and the press doesn't pick it up. WTF?
    anton zuykovracerhomie3muthuk_vanalingampscooter63StrangeDaysmac_dogclaire1crossladdoozydozenchia
  • Reply 4 of 56
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Quality issues? How about sending all your pictures to a random contact without warning and without trace? If Apple had done anything like that people would be rioting in the streets, Samsung pulls this stunt and the press doesn't pick it up. WTF?
    Because Samsung does not stand on the same shelf, comparing to Apple. It is just that simple. You do not put forth the same set of requirements for a 5th grader, as you could for a Ph.D.
    Apple is a better product, which creates much higher expectations for the company and its products.
    Of course, such treatment does confirm that Apple is a leader (for a reason), and Samsung is just one of the players in that market.
    edited July 2018 lkruppclaire1watto_cobralamboaudi4jony0
  • Reply 5 of 56
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    If your stupid enough to buy a Galaxy after watching these ad’s then that’s what you deserve. 
    king editor the gratemwhitelkruppclaire1crossladjeffharrisanton zuykovchiamdriftmeyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 56
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "When they go Low..." - Al Gore, Internet Inventor
    GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Samsung. They are showing their real faces. Samsung,is dying , a slow & painful death. All the love from bought & paid for YouTubers won’t help. They are being killed on both the top by Apple, and at the bottom by cheap Chinese toys. 
    Mock Apple all you want, people already know the truth.
    claire1jeffharriswatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 56
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Youch! Samsung feeling pressure on low end by subsidized China makers and on high end by Apple (not to mention Google initiative). What’s more they face tougher challenges in future, intrinsic disadvantages in AI and AR. (Will try to post on AR report this weekend.)
    racerhomie3claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 56
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Agree with the headphone jack ad: just got off a longer conference call, and I had the dongle connected to not run out of battery while on the call. Removing the headphone jack was not a good move. I don't care who else removed the headphone jack. Talking on the phone with headphones and charging at the same time is a basic use case, not a rare exception. It's an eye-sore and inconvenient. 
    IPD
  • Reply 10 of 56
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Irrelevant 
  • Reply 11 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    AI_lias said:
    Agree with the headphone jack ad: just got off a longer conference call, and I had the dongle connected to not run out of battery while on the call. Removing the headphone jack was not a good move. I don't care who else removed the headphone jack. Talking on the phone with headphones and charging at the same time is a basic use case, not a rare exception. It's an eye-sore and inconvenient. 
    But every Android user was talking about how great wireless charging is before the iPhone had it.  Suddenly they've all lost those wireless charging pads?

edited July 2018 racerhomie3mdriftmeyerwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 12 of 56
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Irrelevant 
    Depends who you talk to if it's irrelevant, I wouldn't want my pictures sent to anyone....
    StrangeDaysclaire1crossladchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    backstabbackstab Posts: 138member
    Can't wait for the new iPhones to be released, with packed Airbuds, standard.
    claire1mdriftmeyerwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 14 of 56
    jmey267jmey267 Posts: 57member
    Maybe they should advertise the great features of their S9, oh wait there are non. All accounts are the S9 is not selling well so they resort to this LOL
    racerhomie3crossladwatto_cobracornchipjbdragonIPD
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Now, Samsung's marketing team was right, they stopped making fun of Apple's customer and began to put it as a victim, directing the criticism of Apple itself that is embodied in commercials by the Genius attendant. It has finally ceased to be a hostile commercial to be a pertinent and even funny criticism.

The only problem however is that Samsung's products are not superior to Apple's.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Man, SS must have a serious crush on Apple.

Does this tactic ever work? They’ve been doing these Apple-obsessed ads for a while now, there MUST be a reason for it. Someone must think they’re working. For me this kind of advertising has caused me to avoid all things SS, which probably isn’t fair to the rest of their businesses.

Some serious self esteem issues there at SS. It’s not an attractive look for a big company in my opinion. 

Then again, I’m also jaded enough that I can’t stand the Subaru ‘Love’ commercials. You had me at ‘zero landfill’ and lost me at ‘love.’ 

muthuk_vanalingamclaire1watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 17 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    AI_lias said:
    Funny, I'm on calls every day with work and have never run into this issue. I tried the in-box wired headphones on my 7 for a while, and never managed to talk for 10 hours straight before need to charge. Later I switched to wireless AirPods and it's never been an issue either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
    racerhomie3king editor the gratecrossladchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AI_lias said:
    Funny, I'm on calls every day with work and have never run into this issue. I tried the in-box wired headphones on my 7 for a while, and never managed to talk for 10 hours straight before need to charge. Later I switched to wireless AirPods and it's never been an issue either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
    Remember when the iPhone was a failure for not having inductive charging? Now that seems to be forgotten and all people can do is complain that you can’t use wired charging and wired headphones at the same time. Soon all other major vendors vendors will catch up with removing the 3.5mm jack and tehy’ll say it was obvious to remove after all. And then the cycle will continue with something else Apple does.
    anantksundaramStrangeDaysclaire1jeffharrischiawatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 19 of 56
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Yes, I did forget about inductive charging, because I have yet to use it. I don't have a wireless charger yet. Will have to invest in one at some point. About talking 10 hours straight: no, people do not talk for 10 hours straight, but your iPhone will not always be fully charged at all times. 
  • Reply 20 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    You think these ads night have something to do with analysts declaring the Galaxy S9 a major flop? The way these ads portray Apple Store employees is telling also. Much like some of the self-anointed tech gods who look down their superior noses at us in AI forums the Samsung neckbeards always have a high opinion of themselves and a low opinion of retail associates. I mean if you think you know it all then I guess everyone else is beneath you, right?
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra