Samsung continues attacking iPhone and Apple Stores in ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    With all the recent quality issues, they should have plenty of material to work with.
    Yet the S9 is a flop and the iPhone X isn’t. Explain yourself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 56
    The use of the Apple logo is ballsy.  Pretty sure Apple could nail them in court on that one.  

The detailing of specific tech specs is a cheap shot. The entire holistic experience of an iPhone is far superior to any Android.  Samsung has touted all these ridiculous features that no one uses because they do not work.  Their facial recognition was horrific especially compared to FaceID.  Samsung has a lot of quality control issues with high failure rates.  The Snapdragon was smoked by the A11 Bionic CPU.  Yes, the Intel radios suck compared to the Qualcomm and perhaps the S9 is slightly better on LTE but most people don't hit max speed anyway.  Yes, there is no headphone jack but if you use the AirPods they are remarkably excellent.  If you must use wired headphones use the lightning dongle, big deal.  So what if you have to charge the iPhone and who cares if need to buy an iPad charger to quick charge and a 2.1 amp car USB adapter.  Already got them.  

Samsung ads, meh... 
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 56
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    I have to admit, "double-dongle" made me giggle.  I feel the iPhone user's pain, my MBP 2017 looks like a plate of spaghetti on my desk.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    In all these commercials, they use the Apple logo. I’m surprised they are allowed to do that. 
    watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 25 of 56
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    AI_lias said:
    Agree with the headphone jack ad: just got off a longer conference call, and I had the dongle connected to not run out of battery while on the call. Removing the headphone jack was not a good move. I don't care who else removed the headphone jack. Talking on the phone with headphones and charging at the same time is a basic use case, not a rare exception. It's an eye-sore and inconvenient. 
    Funny, I'm on calls every day with work and have never run into this issue. I tried the in-box wired headphones on my 7 for a while, and never managed to talk for 10 hours straight before need to charge. Later I switched to wireless AirPods and it's never been an issue either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
    I just don't get these types of posts either..  Some folks just refuse to change, and will not go wireless for charging or with headphones.   Eventually this change will be unavoidable..

List of Phones Without a 3.5 mm Headphone Jack

StrangeDaysSoliwatto_cobrauniscape
  • Reply 26 of 56
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    AI_lias said:
    Yes, I did forget about inductive charging, because I have yet to use it. I don't have a wireless charger yet. Will have to invest in one at some point. About talking 10 hours straight: no, people do not talk for 10 hours straight, but your iPhone will not always be fully charged at all times. 
    My X gets charged at bedtime, used during the day, and has about 40+ % left at bedtime again. I work from home and have no other phone, so it gets used for every call and meeting.

The problem you're describing may exist, but it's not nearly as bad as a problem for most people as you make it sound. If you're such a phone jockey surely you have a Lightning cable nearby that you can top off with between calls?
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Samsung makes the same incorrect assumption that some politicians make, that people are stupid and somehow got duped into making a decision, i.e., buying an iPhone, and are only now discovering their “mistake.” 

The problem with Samsung’s flawed logic is that existing iPhone buyers knew what they bought and understood its features and (to some) limitations. These iPhone buyers aren’t looking for Samsung or any other phone maker to swoop in and rescue them from a thoughtful and informed decision they’ve already committed to. They’re quite happy, thank you. 

Sorry Samsung, you can’t treat Apple buyers like you treat your own customers. Apple buyers are not stupid, they make informed decisions, they know what they like, and don’t mind paying for it. Worry about the low cost, low overhead Chinese and someday Indian android phone builders who are going to eat your lunch. Apple phone buyers don’t eat what you’re selling anyway so it’s time for you to move on. 
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    AI_lias said:
    Agree with the headphone jack ad: just got off a longer conference call, and I had the dongle connected to not run out of battery while on the call. Removing the headphone jack was not a good move. I don't care who else removed the headphone jack. Talking on the phone with headphones and charging at the same time is a basic use case, not a rare exception. It's an eye-sore and inconvenient. 
    Most us use something called "bluetooth headphones".  You might google that.  (Note: I'm surfing AI while on a long telecon...)
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    AI_lias said:
    Yes, I did forget about inductive charging, because I have yet to use it. I don't have a wireless charger yet. Will have to invest in one at some point. About talking 10 hours straight: no, people do not talk for 10 hours straight, but your iPhone will not always be fully charged at all times. 
    My X gets charged at bedtime, used during the day, and has about 40+ % left at bedtime again. I work from home and have no other phone, so it gets used for every call and meeting.

The problem you're describing may exist, but it's not nearly as bad as a problem for most people as you make it sound. If you're such a phone jockey surely you have a Lightning cable nearby that you can top off with between calls?
    I'm not a phone jockey and I don't spend all day on the phone. But sometimes I have to be on a call when the battery is low, and I have to use the unwieldy dongle, and I have to use the other set of headphones, not the lightning ones that came with my iPhone 8. Why? Because I need this dongle also for my car, which doesn't have Bluetooth (even if it had it, audio quality would not be good enough). So, I don't want to buy two dongles which can get pricey for good Belkin ones. I'm sure there are other people like this, maybe not too many, but enough to think, was it really worth it to remove that headphone jack? Why? Is battery life dramatically improved? Not in my iPhone 8. Was it necessary for waterproofing? I've heard of water resistant phones with the jack. Was it cost? That cost savings did not go to me, in fact, I had to buy a $40 dongle. So, life goes on, of course, I can make do, but it was not worth it. The question is, how many people had a problem with that jack?
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 30 of 56
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    majorsl said:
    I have to admit, "double-dongle" made me giggle.  I feel the iPhone user's pain, my MBP 2017 looks like a plate of spaghetti on my desk.
    Mine has a single cable on it for power and everything including monitor, external drives, etc.

If I got a EGPU I'd have TWO whole cables attached.
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 31 of 56
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    As a FORMER fan of Samsung TVs, I wouldn't waste a penny on any of their electronics. Of the last 3 of their TVs purchased, 2 needed 3-figure repairs for shoddy workmanship or components. The latter required joining a successful class action suit which revealed Samsung used a purchase of cheapo 10-year-old components someone found in a warehouse...to produce that batch of TV sets.

Add in rotating jail time for family members chosen to run the company.and I'm buying almost any other alternative. They offer nothing to tempt me away from Apple.
    claire1chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    The use of the Apple logo is ballsy.  Pretty sure Apple could nail them in court on that one.  
    Maybe, but Scamdung would get free publicity and the chance to portray it as thin-skinned Apple running scared. Then they changed the logo on the shirts and get a fresh run of ads out of it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Mildly amusing video ads. I doubt they'll make anyone who uses an iPhone convert to a Samsung smartphone. Samsung has to do whatever it needs to do to increase flagship smartphone sales. I don't blame them for trying. No company should just lay back and get rolled over without some response. Samsung is only pointing out what they offer and Apple doesn't. If these are the facts then let Samsung show that they have something Apple doesn't offer consumers.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Marketing 101. Talk about your features and benefits. If you feel the need to disparage your competitor or their customers, you're in a bad place.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    AI_lias said:
    So, you're the perfect candidate for the double-dongle. Lucky you. /s Apple always has their own way of doing things, so it is what it is. Apple is interested in profits so consumers will have to pay for dongles. It is somewhat unfortunate how Apple is being run to gouge individuals. Apple should be gouging enterprise businesses as they might make more money that way. Both Amazon and Microsoft are making money hand over fist with their enterprise cloud businesses so they don't have to squeeze consumers to death.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Why do people make such a big deal about adapters? Just plug and go or use wireless.

AI_lias said:
    Sorry dude, it IS a rare case situation. I always found it funny how when Apple removed the legacy port EVERYONE suddenly charges their iPhone while listening to music. That's so inconvenient to do by the way...

Soli said:
    AI_lias said:
    Funny, I'm on calls every day with work and have never run into this issue. I tried the in-box wired headphones on my 7 for a while, and never managed to talk for 10 hours straight before need to charge. Later I switched to wireless AirPods and it's never been an issue either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
    Remember when the iPhone was a failure for not having inductive charging? Now that seems to be forgotten and all people can do is complain that you can’t use wired charging and wired headphones at the same time. Soon all other major vendors vendors will catch up with removing the 3.5mm jack and tehy’ll say it was obvious to remove after all. And then the cycle will continue with something else Apple does.

Hey I always thought inductive charging sucked, before AND after Apple adopted it. What is VERY common is people using their iPhone while charging and that's a problem inductive charging can't solve.

What I would have preferred is a Watch-style charger that magnetically "clamps" to the back of the iPhone. I suggested it holds on to the Apple logo.
    I'm guessing this will be the solution when Apple removes the lightning port.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    eideard said:
    As a FORMER fan of Samsung TVs, I wouldn't waste a penny on any of their electronics. Of the last 3 of their TVs purchased, 2 needed 3-figure repairs for shoddy workmanship or components. The latter required joining a successful class action suit which revealed Samsung used a purchase of cheapo 10-year-old components someone found in a warehouse...to produce that batch of TV sets.

Add in rotating jail time for family members chosen to run the company.and I'm buying almost any other alternative. They offer nothing to tempt me away from Apple.
    I bought a Samdung TV years ago for $900. Thing lasted about a year and fried itself. Turns out it was a common issue and Sammy didn't care about their customers.
    Kinda like how they skip security updates on purpose. Their motto seems to be "once the suckers buy our crap, our job is done."

AI_lias said:
    So, you're the perfect candidate for the double-dongle. Lucky you. /s Apple always has their own way of doing things, so it is what it is. Apple is interested in profits so consumers will have to pay for dongles. It is somewhat unfortunate how Apple is being run to gouge individuals. Apple should be gouging enterprise businesses as they might make more money that way. Both Amazon and Microsoft are making money hand over fist with their enterprise cloud businesses so they don't have to squeeze consumers to death.
    Please tell me the "/s" tag extends to the rest of your post. Or would you rather Apple spy on its users for profit? Google isn't giving away iKnockoffs for free and Alexa is always listening.
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Reminds me of the PC vs Mac ads. They make fair points. You'll need a dongle to make old headset work. This annoys me at work, where I leave an older pair of headphones. Usually by the afternoon, I have to chose between charging my phone or listening to music. Also found this trouble in my vehicle (doesn't have bluetooth) with I first got my iPhone 7. Prior, I would plug in the phone to charge and plug in the AUX cable for music. Bought a cheap bluetooth adaptor to plug into the headphone jack in my vehicle; not optimal but functional. First world problems. Just ends up meaning I will at some point need to get a pair of bluetooth headphones and keep something else charged, plus the batteries will die and need replacing. Gets to be pretty capital intensive. 
    eideard said:

I get the feeling all TVs are junk. My LG had about 6-8 LEDs burn out on the backlight before it died, ~4,500 hours, wife leaves it on too much. I have it torn apart right now and was able to determine the backlight had one that shorted and broke the circuit. Ordered a replacement backlight for $22. Found about 15/56 LEDs weren't working anyway. Visios TVs tend to have capacitor issues. I stay sub-$1000 on TVs, not sure how well the $2,000 TVs hold up; I have better things to do with my time than watch much TV, so its not worth the investment. My parent's $1100 Samsung broke twice before Samsung (for free, out of warranty) switched it with a pretty decent unit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    mike1 said:
    Marketing 101. Talk about your features and benefits. If you feel the need to disparage your competitor or their customers, you're in a bad place.

Samsung is still taking prerequisits for Marketing 101...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member

The detailing of specific tech specs is a cheap shot. The entire holistic experience of an iPhone is far superior to any Android.  Samsung has touted all these ridiculous features that no one uses because they do not work.  Their facial recognition was horrific especially compared to FaceID.  Samsung has a lot of quality control issues with high failure rates.  The Snapdragon was smoked by the A11 Bionic CPU.  Yes, the Intel radios suck compared to the Qualcomm and perhaps the S9 is slightly better on LTE but most people don't hit max speed anyway.  Yes, there is no headphone jack but if you use the AirPods they are remarkably excellent.  If you must use wired headphones use the lightning dongle, big deal.  So what if you have to charge the iPhone and who cares if need to buy an iPad charger to quick charge and a 2.1 amp car USB adapter.  Already got them.  

Samsung ads, meh... 
    it is not ballsy, but stupid and illegal. Apple has to give a written permission for that.
    watto_cobra