Hands on with Apple's 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro with i7 processor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    You show a snapshot for disk speed, but don't share any details. Would be nice if this was provided too...
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 62 of 71
    mrcmrc Posts: 10member
    I guess my post was deleted :neutral: 

Let me just repeat: as a Mac app developer of 30 years this is the first keyboard that has given me problems. I type all day every day. It ruins my productivity when a key gets sticky or repeats. Most of these failures don’t get reported to Apple, only the complete failures where the keyboard is replaced, and I know many others with similar experiences, so it’s not just me. 

I expected better from Apple and their premium price tag, but it’s increasingly apparent that Apple don’t really care any more. Only their stock value matters. I used to love Apple. Not any more. 
    mike54
  • Reply 63 of 71
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    mrc said:

Let me just repeat: as a Mac app developer of 30 years this is the first keyboard that has given me problems. I type all day every day. It ruins my productivity when a key gets sticky or repeats. Most of these failures don’t get reported to Apple, only the complete failures where the keyboard is replaced, and I know many others with similar experiences, so it’s not just me. 

I expected better from Apple and their premium price tag, but it’s increasingly apparent that Apple don’t really care any more. Only their stock value matters. I used to love Apple. Not any more. 
    My suggestion; go to an Apple Store (if convenient) or ship your MacBook to Apple to get the keyboard replaced.
    Here are the instructions.

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

But let”s test your claim that Apple & its “premium price tag” meant no design flaws / breakdowns of Apple products until the butterfly keyboard.
    * Basic knowledge of Apple makes one realize that since the Apple I in the 70s & through the 80s/90s Apple has released products with flaws or which can breakdown.
    (See the Apple III, the Macintosh 128K and the Mac G4 Cube for examples.)
    * Does that mean that Apple never cared?
    No.
    - One of Apple’s advantages is superior tech support compared with the competition.
    Using Apple support I’ve replaced iMac screens, a MacBook motherboard, a MacBook swollen battery, iPhone batteries, an iPad screen.
    - Any product can breakdown. Use Apple support. 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 64 of 71
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    entropys said:
    Differences between how software is written for the relevant OS can have massive influence. In that Dave Lee video for example, the actual, real take home is how badly Premiere has been ported by Adobe onto Mac OS. 
    I have been hating that company since, oh, about 1997.
    While I agree that using Adobe Premiere renders on two different platforms is not going to reveal any reliable performance comparison data, I'm curious how you determined that the Mac version of Premiere was ported from the Windows version and not programmed completely independently or actually ported in the opposite direction. Their methodology is not public information as far as I know. I recall a few years ago I received a Mac specific error message while running the Windows version of Premiere. Because Adobe's code is quite proprietary, mostly written in C++, much of it is compatible with both Mac and Windows. The code is reusable to some degree, which is why their desktop titles will likely never show up on the Mac App Store. They are not pure Xcode apps.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    bb-15 said:
    mrc said:

My suggestion; go to an Apple Store (if convenient) or ship your MacBook to Apple to get the keyboard replaced.
    Here are the instructions.

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

But let”s test your claim that Apple & its “premium price tag” meant no design flaws / breakdowns of Apple products until the butterfly keyboard.
    * Basic knowledge of Apple makes one realize that since the Apple I in the 70s & through the 80s/90s Apple has released products with flaws or which can breakdown.
    (See the Apple III, the Macintosh 128K and the Mac G4 Cube for examples.)
    * Does that mean that Apple never cared?
    No.
    - One of Apple’s advantages is superior tech support compared with the competition.
    Using Apple support I’ve replaced iMac screens, a MacBook motherboard, a MacBook swollen battery, iPhone batteries, an iPad screen.
    - Any product can breakdown. Use Apple support. 
    My claim was regarding the keyboard only. I made no mention of any other component or product. 

Of course, anything can break down, but when Apple consistently denies there is a problem with such a basic component to the point of actually lying, I have to wonder where their priorities lie.

In addition, the repair program does not fix the problem, but simply replace with the same poor design. It’s not a solution. 
    edited July 2018 mike54
  • Reply 66 of 71
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    lkrupp said:
    Forget about benchmarks for the moment. Set the MBP next to the XPS, setup a rendering using the same software (Adobe, whatever) and see who finishes first and by how much. That’s a real world test in my book.
    www.laptopmag.com compared the latest MBP 13" with others high end laptops.  Below an extract of their findings

Video Editing

For this rigorous test, we transcode a 4K video clip to 1080p using the Handbrake app, which is available for both Macs and PCs. The 2018 MacBook Pro 13-inch took 16 minutes and 57 seconds. That’s over 4 minutes faster than the average premium laptop and about 2.5 minutes faster than the 2017 MacBook Pro 13-inch.

Video Editing (Handbrake) Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch 16:57 Dell XPS 13 (Core i7) 16:00 Asus ZenBook 13 23:02 Huawei MateBook X Pro 27:18
    We haven’t been running this test for very long, but I can tell you that the XPS 13 is slightly faster at 16 minutes.

• Reply 67 of 71
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mrc said:

Your post was in a different thread, not this one.

edited July 2018 mrc
  • Reply 68 of 71
    This is sweet.   Very, very sweet.   Sort of the Bugatti or Maserati of laptops....
    Or, as AI described its potential audience in the closing comments of the video, it's for "Students, gamers, or video editors" (Excuse the paraphrase).

For [serious] gamers and/or video editors, this laptop (like a Maserati for sports car enthusiasts) is impressive and a good fit because they want/need performance and are willing and able to pay for it.

But:  "Students"?   Bullshit.  Unless they are more interested in gaming or impressing other students than taking notes or typing a term paper...
    For mainstream professionals (Lawyers, Accountants, Business executives, etc...), it is over kill.  A waste of money.  They could do their job equally well on a laptop with far less power and costing far, far less.
    And, for general users who need a laptop for general web browsing, social media, etc. it, like a Maserati, is a waste of money.

So, Apple, for the 90-95% of us who are not serious gamers or video editors, What have you done for me lately?
    Your $329 iPad is sweet, but it lacks a cursor for regular laptop type work.  So? 

This MBP mostly feeds the Apple trolls who claim Apple simply feeds its cult looking to impress with its elitism....

[Qualifier:  Yes, I am aware that Apple seems to be working on plugging the hole it has left with 'the common man'.   But the hole is clearly still there and I look to the future for Apple to plug that hole.]
    serious gamers don't use macs.......... because most AAA titles don't run on Mac OS, and if you don't need Mac OS and you don't need a laptop you get better bang for your money with a bespoke PC gaming rig so "no" this is not for any serious gamer either.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Seems like the Appleinsider forums have become a mirror of US society at the moment. No middle ground, just extremes of which both seem to have little grasp on reality.

Received my 15" 2.9 Ghz 32 GB Ram and 2 TB SSD today. Im not a "pro" user, whatever that is. Just an engineer in the oil industry, do a  bit of Autocad LT Mac, Lightroom for photographs, Final Cut Pro for editing drone videos of our drilling rigs, bit of engineering software that I write myself plus the usual office and project apps. So far I see Autocad rendering about 30% faster than my 15" 2017 3.1GHz Quad 16 GB 1TB SSD, Lightroom applying some batch processing about 50% faster. FCP about 70% faster, compiling with Xcode +/- 60% faster plus the computer seems much more responsive than even a 2017 15" MBP CTO doing boring old documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

You can argue about benchmarks and their accuracy or what software is optimised or not. The only thing that does matter to me (and I might add the absolutely overwhelming majority of computer users) is that I have upgraded to a much faster machine......oh and I was one of the minority (so the general press would have you believe) that never had a problem with a chiclet keyboard.. Wouldn't want to knock the people that have, in my case I just keep it clean, don't eat over it and give it a blast of compressed air once in a while when I am cleaning my camera. Not the best keyboard in the world but allows me to type as fast as any other keyboard I have used.......Thanks Apple, a nice upgrade. Found a buyer for my old 2017 CTO, fortunately he read and watched too much exagerated hype/trashing to want to splash out on a new 6 core..........

edited July 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 70 of 71
    mrc said:

Ah, I’m sorry. Got lost somehow. Thanks!
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mrc said:
    mrc said:

Ah, I’m sorry. Got lost somehow. Thanks!
    Not a problem, there's a lot going on these days.
    mrc