Google's Pixel Android strategy is destroying HTC the same way Moto X gutted Motorola

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    maestro64 said:

One and this still exist battery life, android phones sacrifice battery life (Charge/Discharge cycles) to over all performance. Android phones over clocked the processors to get those few extra benchmark performance points but they over heated the battery in the mean time so batteries died in 6 to 12 months…
    This is due to Android and Java, though not the hardware. The poor performance and battery life are due to Java's CPU-intensive garbage collection system. That’s why Apple bailed on garbage collection in Objective C 2.0 in favor of ARC.
    maestro64 said:

Android phones had memory management issue this is why they have so much DRAM, against marketed as a mush have and apple was doing something wrong since they did not give consumer more DRAM to run apps fast. It was done to cover up short comings in their hardware memory management.
    I agree with all of this, but again, poor memory management is a feature of the Android OS, not caked into the hardware it’s running on. 

If you put Android on an iPhone, you'd still crash into all of these same problems, because the operating system would be power hungry, clunky, and have terrible memory management. If you put iOS on an Android phone, I wager that you’d wind up with something about as good as an iPhone 6S… which is not really bad at all.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 112
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Google beat estimates today. GOOG market cap is approaching one trillion too like AAPL and AMZN. With every easy profit from advertising, Google can afford to throw billions of billions into anything. 
  • Reply 23 of 112
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    techrules said:
    Google will keep iterating and will slowly gain share.  This is typical Google MO.   They took years and years before Chrome became a thing and now completely dominates.   Google alway comes late and when people think the segment is dead and wins the space.

Laptops the same way.  Google Chromebooks in 2018 grew 50% yoy while Mac sales peaked in 2015 and Windows years ago.  Only one growing is Chromeboiks but took years.  Same with K12 for Google and now over 64% share in the US.

Even search took a while as well as Gmail.  The only over night success that comes to mind is the Google WiFi.  It has taken 18 months for the Google home to over take the Alexa devices.

Guess the other they will lead from the beginning and would guess keep it is self driving cars.   But in most cases Google comes late and takes years to domintate.
    Very few outside of education are buying Chromebooks. My kids for example use Chromebooks at school yet when I ask if they want one for personal use they laugh uncontrollably. Same thing with people I know that use them in business. They use them because they are provided but would much rather have a Windows or Mac computer. And now that the prices are rising it is a no brainer to skip the Chromebook train wreck. Also check the latest figures. Both Mac and Windows sales are up this year. Oh, and Google will eventually give up on hardware when they get bored or realize it is not making them any money. Just like they do with most other things.

I don't know anyone who uses Chromebooks in Business.   It's just not a very good business computer.  We got one for work here once by mistake, tried to use it and it just wouldn't connect to our private network right.  They traded it for the Windows Laptop they actually wanted.  Chromebook are popular in schools, U.S. Schools and the rest of the world schools don't seem to be using them.  Personally, I think it's doing a disservice to be giving them out to students in school to use.   Because they're learning how to use a computer, a Chromebook in School, but out int he real world, no one is using them.  Hell just going to college you'll be at a disadvantage because I don't think many are being used in Collage.    I think they should be using Windows Computers, or maybe better yet, Linux computers.  I think that would serve you far more useful in life than a Chromebook.    

I get the Google dropping the Nexus.  There's no money to be made selling low cost phones like the Nexus.  It wouldn't be so bad, but people expect updates.  Updating older hardware costs money and eat into what little profit you made.  Which is a big issue with Android when Apple makes close to 90% in Profits, with Samesung making about 10% and everyone fighting over scaps.  making very little profit, to breaking even, to losing money.  Android was the rush to the bottom in profits.  Android was also advertised as the CHEAP OS phones!!!   So Google trying to be like Apple, turning more and more into Apple.  Selling phones that look almost like iPhone clones, with iPhone prices, and yet getting less ram, and no included Headphone for the same price asana iPhone.  How did they think sales would go?

I like HTC.   They've made a lot of Innovative devices over the years.  They don't go copying Apple like Samesung.   Maybe if they started doing Apple copying, they would be in better shape?  It's worked out well for Samesung.

Google Home?  I don't think it's taken over Alexa.    I have a Google Mini and an Amazon Dot, and recently a Homepod.  So I get to play around with all of them.  The Amazon Echo devices just have far, far more 3rd party support.  Though I'm not a fan of how 3rd part support works and you have to Ask or Tell Alexa and what device,  It's so wordy.  Whereas Siri HomeKit and Google Home kind of work similar.    I have one Home Control device I have to use Alexa on because there's no Siri or Google support at this time for it.  Google Soon, supposedly, Siri?  Who knows.  But I'm a Homekit house otherwise.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 112
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    tmay said:

Fuchsia would almost certainly require a different business model for Google, and frankly, I would go with a walled garden and a cloud translator for Android apps to Fuchsia apps to jumpstart the ecoysystem. Let the existing Android OS device makers continue as is, with forks, custom interfaces and iffy support.
    Nobody knows what the business model is, but the ecosystem is pretty close to what you described. They have made a cross-platform API called Flutter which will compile to Fuchsia, Android, and even iOS (similar in the way to React Native can build out for Android or iOS). 

https://9to5google.com/2018/03/02/fuchsia-friday-first-fuchsia-app/

But I find it inconceivable that Google wouldn’t go with walled-garden and vertical integration; the carriers and Android partners have let them down w/r/t app updates and a healthy ecosystem at every turn. Additionally, the European Union just ruled that offering free Android operating systems that coerce users into the Google information ecosystem breaks antitrust laws, resulting in a $5 billion Euro fine (largest in EU history, I believe?). There's three ways out of this mess for Google: stop building Google services into Android (thus making it useless to them), charge for Android (nobody will pay—manufacturers will just fork the last open source version), or bail on Android altogether and start something new and vertically integrated.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-be-fined-5-billion-by-eu-in-android-case-1531903470
    edited July 2018 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 112
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    From GatorGuy’s comment...

glutted the market with so many phones that it became hard for consumers to tell what was good (the Nexus One) and what wasn’t (the ThunderBolt)...”

Seriously?  This is supposed to be evidence that it was HTC’s fault Google’s phones didn’t sell well?  Because HTC confused users with too many models?  The Nexus was being marketed by Google, just as at that time the iPhone was being marketed by Apple and the Galaxy line was being marketed by Samsung.  Hmm, consumers didn’t seem so confused that they didn’t buy Apple iPhones or Samsung Galaxy phones in meaningful quantities.  Your defense is nothing but apology.

And then GatorGuy wrote this...

”Samsung is hammering with marketing budgets only Apple can match.”  

While this may be true, it’s deceptive and misleading.  Samsung spends a multiple on marketing rheir smartphones of what Apple spends marketing theirs.  I’ve seen it reported, and no, I’m not going to dig back to find the source of that info.  I’m going to play the GatorGuy card and demand he show us the info on how much each company spends on marketing, since it was he who threw out a comment that carries the implication that Apple was spending on par with Samsung to market their phones.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 112

maestro64 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:
    The reason Google fails is because they see no value in the hardware, this company is run by a bunch of software types and they see hardware only a means to the end like using a pencil to write on paper.
    I don’t think that’s true. The Pixel and Nexus phones have consistently had the best or near-best hardware of the whole Android ecosystem, surpassed only (occasionally) by Samsung. Nest hardware happens to be great too.

But despite being reasonably good at software, Android itself sucks. Java turned out to be a lousy platform upon which to build mobile devices and it’s gotten bad enough that they’re starting over with a clean slate (Fuchsia).

And their consumer experience also sucks. Lousy marketing, and no equivalent to the Apple Stores and Genius Bars. Going back to my story about my physical therapist earlier: If he were having these problems with an iPhone, I’d tell him to just walk down the street to the Apple Store (it's eight streets away). There's no Genius Bar for Nexus phones; his emails to Google support go into a black hole. 

Ironically, I think hardware is the only problem Android phones don’t have.

The hardware is junk I used them for 7 yrs because the companies I work for made us use them since they were cheaper while everyone else I knew include my family were on iPhones since day one. I can provide you a long list of issue Android phones had over the years That I never saw on Apple products. I am not saying Apple did not have it share of issue, but most had nothing to do with Apple not caring about hardware design.

One and this still exist battery life, android phones sacrifice battery life (Charge/Discharge cycles) to over all performance. Android phones over clocked the processors to get those few extra benchmark performance points but they over heated the battery in the mean time so batteries died in 6 to 12 months. This is why Android phones had replaceable batteries for so long, but they market as a much have feature verse a necessity due to the fact they knew battery would have an early life failure. Samsung had battery fires due in part to charging the battery incorrectly and damaging the battery cell.

Android phones had memory management issue this is why they have so much DRAM, against marketed as a mush have and apple was doing something wrong since they did not give consumer more DRAM to run apps fast. It was done to cover up short comings in their hardware memory management.

Why of you think Android phone have very low resale value because they are not work much after a yr or two old. Most end up being recycled, Apple has the opposite problem, thus the reason the sales have tops our in the 70M range their phones last a long time through multiply software updates. Part of the reason Google has not solved the software update product is due to hardware limitation that exist in the Android world.

Trust me they have lots of hardware issues, and Google does not respect the value that Hardware has in the overall strategy. If google really saw value in hardware they would not allow outside companies design their hardware.

This!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 112
    tzeshan said:
    Google beat estimates today. GOOG market cap is approaching one trillion too like AAPL and AMZN. With every easy profit from advertising, Google can afford to throw billions of billions into anything. 
    Yup, like maybe $5 billion to the EU.  Lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 112
    Nova WolfNova Wolf Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    HTC dieing isn't completely Google's falt , the past 4 HTC phones have been racked with issues. 1 HTC U that phone was so bad that mkbhd called it out. 2 HTC U11 it's specks and performance was good especially it's fancy changing colors but jerryrig everything broke it in seconds proving it's poor build quality. 3 HTC U 11+ fantastic phone but was barely marketed and didn't even come to the USA . 4 HTC U12 + it's good but it's sticker buttons can fall off and when they do you can't turn the phone on. Also it's plagued with software issues and the cameras aren't as good as the one plus 6 wich is significantly cheaper.

Shure Google has done damage to HTC.
     But ultimately it's HTC's falt that they are losing money year over year by selling bad phones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 112
    KJM33KJM33 Posts: 1member
    Lol where do people come up with these Articles!... HTC killed itself with just bad designs. I always found it weird how so many Apple iphone users live in the past as far as their misguided information regarding Android...And so many Android users stubbornly deny Apples great execution. 

I own both a Pixel 2XL and an iPhone 6S and I prefer the Pixel/Android (with the exception of imessage). I have actually never had a Pixel phone crash or slow down in anyway. Both phones get fast updates, etc but I find the Pixel 2XL to actually be simpler at doing task. iPhone is simple but it's because it's so restricted. My wife prefers her iPhone and praises it in comparison to Andriod phones yet she hasn't had an Android phone in years to compare it to.

It's crazy how this Article makes it appear that the Pixel phones aren't good but just about all users and tech reviewers praise the phone. Apple idle battery life generally is better but overall battery life goes to the Pixel and Android phones in general due to Apple supplying smaller batteries in their phones.

The Pixel phones kind of set the standard for Android in terms of being  seamless, smooth and simple with swift updates. This was needed as Samsung kind of took over Android in the since that it became the standard of what people considered "Andriod" which is why people felt Andriod lags, isn't easy to use etc. Many people who dislike Android generally have not used one in years but to me it far surpasses IOS. Look at the Google assistant in relation to Siri...  When Google started the Pixel Line they started setting standards for the operating system across different brands/phones in effort to reduce the fragmentation that has plagued it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nunzy said:
    Google tried to kill iPhone. But instead it killed HTC.
    It probably was Google's shortsightedness...aand the fact that HTC started looking more like iPhones is what killed HTC.
    Sad story, as HTC would be a far better competitor to Apple, comparing to horrible UX that Samsung offered.
    Wasn't looking like iPhones was what made Samsung successful? Now you want us to believe that HTC is in dire straits because their phones looked like iPhones? If it worked for one why shouldn't it work for the other? 
  • Reply 31 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tzeshan said:
    Yup, like maybe $5 billion to the EU.  Lol
    What's crazy about the massive amounts of money our big techs are making is Google actually gave that entire $5B fine is own line item expense against just this quarters revenues and still managed $B's more in profit. Yes $5Billion is a lot of money but more akin to you or me having to pay for a new water heater this month as far as impact on our finances. We don't necessarily like it but can pretty easily afford it. Really hard for us normals to fathom when techs talk $B's like it's pocket change. 
    edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 112
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Another iKnockoff bites the dust!! Sammy is next when Apple cuts those contracts. Can't wait to see them become Sony!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 112
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    This actually saddens me. I really have a disliking of Samsung, and I had quite a few HTC phones in the past. I had the first ever 4G phone with Sprint and WiMax, The Evo 4G, but man that was a mess and a half. Sprint charged everyone and extra 10.00 for it, even if you did not have access to WiMax. I also had the Thunderbolt, and I actually liked it, but at the time I was still rather new with Android. Also in the list was the M7, M8, Touch Pro, and the TyTn, to go that far back 

HTC was always my go to phone for quality, and they were not afraid to push the envelope, so to speak. But after the M8, I went with Nexus devices, then back to the iPhone. I would love nothing more then to see them mop the floor with Samsung, but that is never going to happen :( 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 112
    Frankly I don't think the Pixel 2 XL is that bad. Battery life is great, I can go a day and a half with heavy usage. The camera is phenomenal. All my iPhone 10 friends are so jealous when the pictures I take like way better than theirs. Android has gotten better over the years. It's fast too. Maybe the CPU isn't as great as Apple's, but I never see any lag on my Pixel 2 XL. My only complaint is that the XL's display is really mediocre, but the rest of the hardware is great. It's water resistant, has a fingerprint sensor that's super fast, it has haptics, stereo speakers. It may not be as cutting edge as the iPhone 10 and Galaxy devices, but whatever Google did just works. This is seriously the best phone I ever owned and I'm excited for the launch of the Pixel 3. 
  • Reply 35 of 112
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The error is in thinking that iPhone-like success is available in the premium handset market. It's not - there isn't a lot of premium market share to go around once you remove Apple from the data. Those which are happy to pay the premium price also aren't switching platforms with any frequency, they're on the platform because they are happy with it, competing platforms need not just be similar - but significantly and obviously better to encourage a switch, that's just not the reality of the industry.

Instead the primary driver of users to the Android platform appears to be the very low entry cost. This is why the Windows phones didn't fare well, but also why the software/3rd party stores on the Android platform perform poorly in comparison to their iOS counterparts.

Producing a premium handset for Android is an exercise in fashion "thin end of the wedge" marketing: it's presenting a high end device as a means to be relevant, while the majority of sales come from low-end devices. This isn't Apple's business model - their premium handset is their highest selling device: the iPhone-buyer is high engagement, that's not only hard to switch, but also very hard to compete against when seeking out new premium users, as they will be attracted to Apple's low friction ecosystem, possibly from exposure to other Apple devices such as computers and AirPods/etc.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 112
    Eric_WVGG said:
    My physical therapist knows I’m a “tech guy” and asked for my assistance with picking out a new Android phone. He’s got one of those weird anti-Apple biases that I didn’t feel like arguing, so I told him that I would definitely get a Pixel 2, given that it’s free of Samsung’s shitty, untrustworthy shovelware, and every other Android is cheap garbage.

What a debacle. SMS messages often go unsent, chronic app crashes. His OS is up-to-date with the latest Android release, he runs almost nothing beyond the "stock" software, but it’s still just a mess. The crashes are unpredictable so I can’t even say “okay, show me where the bad man touched you  a common operation that will donk out your email.” 

Android is a lost cause, for folks who think buying $10 boots that wear out in a month is more economical than a $200 pair that will last a lifetime, people who didn’t even want smartphones in the first place, and anti-Apple partisans who will make excuses for anything. It’s truly the Windows of smartphones. I get why Project Fuchsia is such a big deal to Google now. 

Android has its faults but calling the  Stock Android a debacle is far from the truth. In fact, Android crashes as much as iOS, sometimes less frequent. There are many things the Pixel does better than the iPhone X.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    SynplexSynplex Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Well that's a lot of incorrect info you have there. Google's Nexus/Pixel did not help kill HTC. Try again.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    tzeshan said:
    That doesn't explain why Google brought in a cost cutter to slash out of control spending.

Also, the whole, "Google makes all of its money on ads so it can lose it elsewhere on frivolous spending, and that's fine" is so different from "Apple makes almost all of its money from iPhones, which is really bad because it makes only tens of billions of dollars from iPad, Mac, Services, etc. It is in a perilous situation."

Percentage of the way to a 1T valuation:

83%
    87%
    94%

Google gets a B-
    Amazon gets a B+
    Apple gets an A

And that's with Apple's extremely low earnings/valuation, versus Google and Amazon with extremely high valuations vs. actual results.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 112
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Android has its faults but calling the  Stock Android a debacle is far from the truth. In fact, Android crashes as much as iOS, sometimes less frequent. There are many things the Pixel does better than the iPhone X.
    The main thing iPhone does better than Pixel is sell, at a sustainable profit.

Pixel has cost Google billions of dollars to develop and market, and it has only lost money on it. That strategy isn't going to start working just because Google keeps at it. Look also at Chromebook Pixel, a decade of Google tablets, Microsoft's Zune, etc. Pixel isn't gaining momentum. It is losing, and Google is destroying partners and salting its own supply chain.  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra