Gary Vaynerchuk slams Apple for 'Planet of the Apps' marketing flop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    "You're also there with Jimmy Iovine, and he's like I got it, I got it,' and I knew he wasn't in the trenches, I know Jimmy's no dope, clearly, but I was like, F— this.'" What a typical millennial asswipe. He might even be right, but who wants to listen to a self-important JAMF like this guy? Somebody should take a dump on his avocado toast or key his Tesla.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Planet of the Apps was insipid garbage. Even harder to watch with Jade-egg Paltrow as one of the stars. Apple can do better. Random cat GIFS would be better.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Planet of the Apps was insipid garbage. Even harder to watch with Jade-egg Paltrow as one of the stars. Apple can do better. Random cat GIFS would be better.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Gary is a great marketer, but “Planet of the Apps” is super niche show. I am a programmer my self an I like “Silicone Valley” on HBO and “Big Bang Theory”, because they are funny, interesting and fun to watch. And that is the exact demographic Apple should have advertised to through social media, Garry knows that. Apple failed to reach their target demographic and also show was super dull. Apple will learn and will produce better shows, I have faith! 
    claire1randominternetpersonigorsky
  • Reply 25 of 47
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Apple is no different than the big networks. Sometimes a perceived good idea turns out to be terrible. The producers of most shows that get canceled usually hold their tongues so they don't burn their bridges.  They're upset, but they usually end up thanking the networks for the opportunity. 

This next go around, Apple has hired some
    pretty good talent to produce some good content. Let's hope that everyone is receptive to each others contributions in order to make the programming successful. 

I think Apple has learned that not everyone enjoys what they think is entertainment.
    igorsky
  • Reply 26 of 47
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    sergioz said:
    Gary is a great marketer, but “Planet of the Apps” is super niche show. I am a programmer my self an I like “Silicone Valley” on HBO and “Big Bang Theory”, because they are funny, interesting and fun to watch. And that is the exact demographic Apple should have advertised to through social media, Garry knows that. Apple failed to reach their target demographic and also show was super dull. Apple will learn and will produce better shows, I have faith! 
    True the show wasn't THAT bad but I still can't believe how much google was praised in a paid by Apple show. Immediately afterward I knew it was poorly directed.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple is no different than the big networks. Sometimes a perceived good idea turns out to be terrible. The producers of most shows that get canceled usually hold their tongues so they don't burn their bridges.  They're upset, but they usually end up thanking the networks for the opportunity. 

This next go around, Apple has hired some
    pretty good talent to produce some good content. Let's hope that everyone is receptive to each others contributions in order to make the programming successful. 

I think Apple has learned that not everyone enjoys what they think is entertainment.
    I liked the concept, but then I’m a developer. I guess the “Masterchef” format didn’t work for the target audience. But one thing did trouble me: if you only show it on Apple Music the how’re developers going to see it?

Apple’s senior management knew they couldn’t launch a successful music service, so they bought one. Not sure why they thought they could launch a tv network without buying in expertise beforehand. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This guy sounds like he's so into himself, he probably wakes up in the morning, looks in the mirror and goes "Everyone is shit, except me", can't stand people like this!
    He’s determined to own some basketball team, perhaps the Knicks, or whatever. And it seems he’s going to shit on everyone till he gets into that position. Which is sad.

He’s a good self-promotor and an enthusiastic guy, and he took whatever talent he had a long way with his Wine Library business and podcast, but I think he’s let those successes convince himself he’s talented in more areas than he is. Just because you can become a success, that does not mean you know how to teach others to become successful. It may only work for you and how you do what you do. He’s overstretching himself. He needs to calm down. I think he’s going to make himself physically sick if he keeps going as he’s going—he already looks kind of sick (pre-cancer?).

As for the show. It was perhaps not a good enough idea, and was also very badly and overproduced. It had the wrong hosts as well. The
    hosts/judges should not have been celebrities, even if they are all successful entrepreneurs in their own right. This marks another aspect of how the show was badly produced and made. Many off decisions were made. And the main stage and set design and the escalator thing was awful looking and really terrible. The whole thing should have been more low key. But then I’m not sure if there’s a show in this idea in the first place. If there was a show in it (probably not) the judges (unknown successful app experts) needed to be the kinds of people who were good at encouraging the best ideas out of the contestants, not those who would push their own ideas onto the contestants—because that’s the judges app, not the contestants. So teaching people too much about making a good app means you’ve chosen either the wrong judges, the wrong developers, or both.

In short, from where I see it the issues were production, set design, overproduction, wrong casting, bad choices, lack of clear thinking and good ideas as to what would be best for show and perhaps the very concept itself.

Many show concepts perhaps sound great on paper: Project Greenlight is a good example. In reality the show wasn’t good at capitalising on the potential the idea had. POTA is the same, and even worse.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 29 of 47
    blastdoor said:
    I think Apple's mistake in the video content realm was all the years they spent trying to negotiate a deal with Big Content that would make AppleTV a kind of iTunes for video. They thought they could replicate the kinds of deals they made with the music labels but that didn't work. 

The reason it worked with music was the success of Napster. The music guys were terrified. The video guys, though, were not in nearly as weak a position. I think they just led Apple on, making it seem that a deal was right around the corner, as a way to freeze Apple out of doing anything to really compete 

I still don't think Apple has the right strategy in this space. I suspect they will end up wasting a lot of money to develop mediocre shows. 
    Interesting comment about them leading Apple on. You could be right about that. But in that case isn’t making your own shows one of the few remaining options? One of the ways you can be different? Spending billions of dollars and hiring all those they have hired I think is very different from POTA, a small reality tv effort.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 30 of 47
    anome said:
    nunzy said:
     Maybe he should maybe he should look in the mirror to see where the blame lies. He is biting the hand that feeds him. Apple should cancel the show and fire him.
    The show should've been canceled because it's no good. That's not Gary's fault.
    It might not be his fault, but if that's the case, then it isn't Apple's fault either, and Gary going on about it reflects badly on him. As I said above, I don't know why it failed, but I would say it was lack of an interesting premise.
    That would be Apple’s fault in that case. Even hiring the wrong cast would be Apple’s fault.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 47
    The company [...] will clearly be bringing its full marketing power to bear on its upcoming shows in a way it didn't for "Planet of the Apps."
    If you're going to make a statement like that, please provide us evidence or at least indicators that lead to the assertion. While Apple's hiring of content production executives might lead one to assume that there will be more promotion in the future, so far we haven't seen any, nor any signs of a developing strategy on that front. If you're assuming because it seems logical, please say so. If you know something we don't, please share.
    randominternetpersonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 47
    I'm not familiar with Gary Vaynerchuk. Wikipedia suggests he has some credibility as a social media marketing expert (though I suppose he or his staff probably wrote the entry, so I take it with a grain of salt), but after reading his comments I just can't imagine how he got there. Maybe his employees are better at dealing with clients than he is. The impression I got from this article is that he's trying to market himself as a narcissist.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    anome said:
    nunzy said:
     Maybe he should maybe he should look in the mirror to see where the blame lies. He is biting the hand that feeds him. Apple should cancel the show and fire him.
    The show should've been canceled because it's no good. That's not Gary's fault.
    It might not be his fault, but if that's the case, then it isn't Apple's fault either, and Gary going on about it reflects badly on him. As I said above, I don't know why it failed, but I would say it was lack of an interesting premise.
    Apple approved the show that you claim had the "lack of an interesting premise" Who is to blame then? John Scully? Google? Facebooks's privacy policy? Steve Balmer? Windows 8? Haha. 
  • Reply 34 of 47
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Well, he's just ... wrong. More or different marketing would not have saved the show. It was a terrible show. Period, full stop.

You try stuff, you learn things, hopefully you do better in the future. I like that Apple takes risks, but that show was nearly unwatchable (to me). What should have been a documentary series about how apps get made was turned into a game show. The entire concept was flawed, not the "marketing."
    edited July 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 47
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    big kc said:
    "You're also there with Jimmy Iovine, and he's like I got it, I got it,' and I knew he wasn't in the trenches, I know Jimmy's no dope, clearly, but I was like, F— this.'" What a typical millennial asswipe. He might even be right, but who wants to listen to a self-important JAMF like this guy? Somebody should take a dump on his avocado toast or key his Tesla.
    Well, that was an appropriate and mature response. Not.
    igorsky
  • Reply 36 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It was a bad idea, but I think Apple were just testing the waters. Can we produce this on our own? I think they found out that they couldn't really, not with the existing staff, hence the new hirings. 

Totally different realms I suppose. To people working in a tech company, the idea of a dragon's den for apps might sound superficially appealing but in fact there are very few apps pitched as just apps ( any proper project has to come with a lot of backend infrastructure), and when pitching to real investors you need that team in place, or an ability to prove you can hire, and a great idea as well as a preferably proven team of executives. And something patentable. In fact you are better of with a Proof of concept. 

To take 4 famous people who don't know anything about this business was never going to work. 

Dragon's Den is different, since that is a much larger pool of ideas, and the dragons do have experience in some of the products being produced, or in retail. And they have time to spend on these projects as well, thats part of the deal. And they can help with networking, and getting products into channels, as well as general business plans. 

these four adjudicators were asked to judge something technical they couldn't understand, something they couldn't really market, a business plan they couldn't really get, and a business they didn't really grok.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I saw 1 episode of Planet of the Apps. I thought it was just completely DUMB. First off, who the F is Vaynerchuk? I had never heard of him and could still care less about him now. Some wine guy? Who cares!!!!

Who didn't heard about this show? The #1 issue was the show sucked. #2, it's in Apple's Music service. A TV show in what people think of as a Music Service. #3 It's the first Apple TV show and all alone.

I've watched a little Carpool Karaoke, and it just drags on and on. I just don't get them. It's not my thing. Apple is not picking out good shows. Or shows people really would want to pay to watch.
    edited July 2018 randominternetperson
  • Reply 38 of 47
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    If Apple want people to watch their shows they are going to have to let people know they exist and where to find them. After all not everyone is a youtube junkie. Half the population still watches cable and over the air tv. A little advertising couldn't hurt. 
  • Reply 39 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    “But but but but but but I thought Apple was JUST a marketing company!”

Seriously, I’m not surprised that Apple’s “offerings” have failed. They’re basically without substance, and trying to appeal to all audiences appeals to no audience.
    SpamSandwichbulk001
  • Reply 40 of 47
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    mac_dog said:
    “My cheeks were bleeding profusely out of every meeting because I was biting them, my tongue fell completely out of my mouth,"

This is an all to familiar scenario. In my last corporate job, we would have upper level management drop but a meeting (late), talk for minutes about something they know nothing about, then leave. Welcome to the wonderful world of corporate America. While I love Apple, they should forego personal feelings and egos and put together the right teams for the job. 
    You realize you're making this determination having only one side of the story.  Disgruntled people aren't a reliable source, generally speaking.
    edited July 2018