You are the product if you use a Roku streamer, says company CEO

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Notsofast said:
    gatorguy said:

...and you might truly think you HAVE "studied it in depth". Based on your reply I suggest you haven't studied it nearly enough. Follow a few of the links from my edit grasshopper.
    You're not getting it. 
       What you don't seem to understand is that not one of them has access to the all data that Google has collected... Of course, no one but Google. And something else you should read up on is your TOS.  Google has the right to sell all of that data to any successor companies or give access to any of it's corporate entities.  
    Read Apple's TOS. It says the same thing. It's standard boilerplate wording for a privacy policy. 

Transferring data to a new owner? Well of course. Almost all companies would do so as a matter of being bought out. Oracle and Samsung and Microsoft and IBM, large companies, small companies, most companies on the planet. So yeah I get that part but since you think I did not I'll quote it for you once again from the prior post:
    "Now you might worry about Google simply possessing so much data to more accurately target those ads, and for that you have a valid concern. Worry about Google selling it is not one of them. All the huge techs have massive collections of our data that they have accepted the task of protecting, and we all hope they do".

Yes, simply having the data is a valid concern. We both agree on that. 
    ...and turning data over on legal demand? Apple and China is the current poster child for that.

But now you can't claim not to know better when you blame Google for all your privacy problems. If you looked at even one or two of the sources I linked for you it should begin clicking where the real dangers reside. Don't play into the FUD like the power brokers want you to. 
    edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 62 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    Google ain't selling 'ya, not even making "you" and your data available to anyone else unless request it or under legal orders to do so (like Apple is). Google is far from the top dog. Unlike everyone I listed above they don't "sell you". They sell ads. Worry about Google selling it is not one of them.
    How much are you paid per post? Just curious.
    Are you reading what he's posting? Do you really think AppleInsider knows my name, email address, physical address, age, sex, gender, etc. simply because they use Google AdWords?

Google doesn't sell your personal data! How that can be more clear? It would be foolish for them to do that and they wouldn't exist today if that was their business mode. The long money is keeping the data for themselves. Google is profitable because they have collected data about you that no one else has.

Apple also collects data in much the same way that Google does, just through different avenues. The key difference is that Apple isn't selling ads as their primary source of income. They had 6 years of doing the same thing as Google with iAds because closing up shop 2 years ago.

Do you also think Apple sold your personal data to their iAd partners? Of course you don't because it doesn't fit your Google is evil and Apple is good narrative, and yet it's the same model. Even now you deny that Apple uses all this data about their consumer base to both create targeted ads and create products that lead to increased spending.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    irnchriz said:
    What are the adverts for on the Roku? Are they TV shows or just general product adverts? I like the Apple TV because there are no ads for any products and the amazon and Netflix apps only show ads for their own programming.  Having adverts for anything else would be unacceptable.
    On the right side of the home screen 
  • Reply 64 of 66
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Google ain't selling 'ya, not even making "you" and your data available to anyone else unless request it or under legal orders to do so (like Apple is). Google is far from the top dog. Unlike everyone I listed above they don't "sell you". They sell ads. Worry about Google selling it is not one of them.
    Are you reading what he's posting? Do you really think AppleInsider knows my name, email address, physical address, age, sex, gender, etc. simply because they use Google AdWords?

Google doesn't sell your personal data! How that can be more clear? It would be foolish for them to do that and they wouldn't exist today if that was their business mode. The long money is keeping the data for themselves. Google is profitable because they have collected data about you that no one else has.

Apple also collects data in much the same way that Google does, just through different avenues. The key difference is that Apple isn't selling ads as their primary source of income. They had 6 years of doing the same thing as Google with iAds because closing up shop 2 years ago.

Do you also think Apple sold your personal data to their iAd partners? Of course you don't because it doesn't fit your Google is evil and Apple is good narrative, and yet it's the same model. Even now you deny that Apple uses all this data about their consumer base to both create targeted ads and create products that lead to increased spending.
    Please stop the fake news.  People can't take you seriously when you make comments like Apple and Google are the same when it comes to your privacy.  Not even the most ardent Android Boy would make such a silly statement.   Apple does not collect data like Google.  Apple has no need for your personal data and doesn't want it.  Google couldn't exist without your personal data and vacuums up every intimate detail of  your life. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Notsofast said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:

Please stop the fake news.  People can't take you seriously when you make comments like Apple and Google are the same when it comes to your privacy.  Not even the most ardent Android Boy would make such a silly statement.   Apple does not collect data like Google.  Apple has no need for your personal data and doesn't want it.  Google couldn't exist without your personal data and vacuums up every intimate detail of  your life. 
    I mentioned nothing about privacy, except in terms of wanting to keep your personal data private in order to profit off it. I addressed what data Google sells, but if you want to actually know some of the data Apple has on you go ahead and manage your Apple ID and then try to tell me that "Apple has no need for your personal data and doesn't want it" when you're looking right at it.

• Reply 66 of 66
    claire1 said:
    Bravo for admitting it! Now to get Google to admit this along with how much they don't care about their customers.

You’d think someone would buy Roku (the company)...

Roku gets good reviews, and I’ve heard it’s a superior device.

I wonder what Disney + Roku would look like...  Disney has tons of content, and old content that they could throw in for free; while monetizing new movies and shows.  They also has ESPN, which they have not transitioned very well to the digital age.

Superior to what? The crappy android tv streamers? It's not a great device and is just another "me too" device following Apple's lead.

I'll admit, even with Fire Sticks and an Apple TV, our 4 y/o Roku is still our go-to device. Simple to navigate, easy to search, great little remote (even though I use a Harmony more often), and the ability to connect headphones to the remote is pure genius. I am more than happy to be a product so they can be profitable. Any advertising they do on the system isn't intrusive at all.

Not even close. I had to deal with a Roku while house sitting and you'd have to pay ME to use it. I'm used to the futuristic Apple TV Siri Remote and its simplicity so searching on Roku was a PAIN. It would take me about 45 seconds with latency and clicking buttons just to move over a letter where it would take me maybe 5 seconds using voice on Siri or 15 seconds swiping. Roku was such a pain I stopped using search.

Also so many ADS.
    I have a Roku stick with voice search (imported from US) and it works well and very quickly, clicking across a keyboard is easier and quicker (more intuitive?) imho than swiping along one. It certainly boots up quicker than my old atv did - I don't have an atv4k to compare with but I could have bought at least 5 of the rokus for the price of one atv4k and at the time it was the only device to get all the apps I need. Apple TV now has Prime Video so it finally matches the roku on content. Also, we rarely see ADS, just the single banner on the homepage, hardly even noticable.