Apple Pay on the Web rolling out to eBay customers starting in 2018

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2018
As it continues the move away from a Paypal-only service, Ebay will begin allowing sellers to accept Apple Pay as a payment option before the end of the year.

"Apple Pay is one of the most ubiquitous forms of payments and provides users with an easy, fast and secure way to pay," said eBay Senior Vice Presidents of Payments Steve Fisher a the annual eBay Open seller conference. "Offering Apple Pay as a form of payment on eBay is the first step in providing more choice and flexibility in payment options to our tens of millions of buyers."

The rollout will be gradual. At launch, it will only be available to select Marketplace customers, and not for every item. More customers will be added gradually over time The system will be fully deployed across the entire eBay system before the end of 2021.

Paypal, eBay's own service, is now an independent company. It will be offered as a payment option for eBay customers until 2023 at the least, and likely for long afterwards, given the company's nearly two-decade business history with the online auction giant.

Apple's services business is credited for smoothing out concerns about seasonality in iPhone, Mac, and iPad sales. Having even a small percentage of eBay's sales processed certainly wont hurt.

Apple doesn't share Apple Pay's contribution to services revenue.

"We had all time record revenue from the App Store, from Apple Music, from iCloud, from Apple Pay and more," said Apple CEO Tim Cook during the most recent earnings announcement. "All of which are a powerful illustration of the importance of our huge active installed base of devices and the loyalty and engagement of our customers."

Also from the earnings report, Apple shared that Apple Pay doubled active users and tripled transactions year-over-year, driven by expanded transit access in some Chinese and Japanese markets -- and a branded credit card would only serve to increase awareness of the digital payment service that would be associated with it. Norway, Poland and Ukraine will get Apple Pay next.

In January, Apple Pay Vice President Jennifer Bailey said that the Apple Pay service was available in 50 percent of retail stores in the U.S., an increase of only 3 percent when the service launched in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    About time.
    jbdragonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It seems big win.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I hope this spurs more retailers into adding Apple Pay on the Web. It’s very convenient.

Is there a good reason the rollout will take so long? Three and a half years seems like a long time to implement, to me. 
  • Reply 4 of 26
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    I for one would be happy for this.  I hate PayPal and the massive fees they charge to process payments, especially for eBay auctions.  If I can set my auction to only accept ApplePay, I'd gladly trade to pool of buyers that don't have it for reduced fees for payment processing.
    randominternetpersonlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    This is an awesome addition. Now if we can just get Amazon on board...
  • Reply 6 of 26
    MacWyznawcaMacWyznawca Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple Pay has been available in Poland since June 19 and has been a huge success. Over 210,000 cards added within 10 days!
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    this is great. I buy a lot of stuff on eBay. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    PayPal is terrible and deserves to disappear, so I see this as a bid by eBay to remain relevant. Long overdue.
    edited July 2018 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While I am an avid ApplePay user I will NOT use it on EBay.   I use it everywhere else.  In fact I avoid stores that don't offer it -- except EBay.

The reason is:  EBay protects the buyer through PayPal where, if he shows that he received something that was misrepresented by the seller in any way, EBay will step in, issue a return label and reverse the payment to refund his money through PayPal.

As a seller and a buyer that has worked both ways for me:
    When I tried to sell my first iPhone, the buyer complained that there was dust inside the camera lens that affected the pictures.   I refused the return because I believed that it didn't.  But, EBay stepped in and forced the return & refund.  And, when I got the phone back and looked closely, the buyer was correct.   (It probably happened when Apple replaced the battery).

Conversely, when I bought my first AppleWatch I saw scratches on it that the buyer had not reported.  When I asked for a return, he refused.  So, I appealed to EBay who forced him to accept the return and refund.

EBay could theoretically do that with ApplePay.  But, because it is essentially just a credit card transaction, I doubt that they will be able to offer that level of protection to the buyer if ApplePay is used.  For buyers that would be a major downgrade to the platform.
    darren mccoylostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    While I am an avid ApplePay user I will NOT use it on EBay.   I use it everywhere else.  In fact I avoid stores that don't offer it -- except EBay.

The reason is:  EBay protects the buyer through PayPal where, if he shows that he received something that was misrepresented by the seller in any way, EBay will step in, issue a return label and reverse the payment to refund his money through PayPal.

When I tried to sell my first iPhone, the buyer complained that there was dust inside the camera lens that affected the pictures.   I refused the return because I believed that it didn't.  But, EBay stepped in and forced the return & refund.  And, when I got the phone back and looked closely, the buyer was correct.   (It probably happened when Apple replaced the battery).

Conversely, when I bought my first AppleWatch I saw scratches on it that the buyer had not reported.  When I asked for a return, he refused.  So, I appealed to EBay who forced him to accept the return and refund.

EBay could theoretically do that with ApplePay.  But, because it is essentially just a credit card transaction, I doubt that they will be able to offer that level of protection to the buyer if ApplePay is used.  For buyers that would be a major downgrade to the platform.

I wouldn't assume something like that.  eBay could have the same policy's paying by Apple Pay.  Who knows, maybe it works even better.
    Notsofastwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26

And I know people who have had major problems with eBay. Both ways. I see no reason why, since eBay hasn’t owned PayPal for years, they wouldn’t offer the same protections through Apple Pay. After all, it’s ebay that’s giving that guarantee, not PayPal. I’ve never had a problem, though I’ve been on eBay since 2002, and have bought a LOT of stuff over the years there.

a lot of people dislike PayPal, because they can be hard to reach when you have a problem, and often, they do nothing about it. I’m looking forward to having Apple Pay on eBay.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member

This isn't 100% accurate. eBay's protection is separate from Paypal.  In fact, eBay only requires the use of an approved electronic payment method (of which PayPal is one).  From eBay's Purchase protection page:

To qualify for eBay Money Back Guarantee, you must meet these requirements:
    • Use an approved electronic payment method to pay for your purchases, such as PayPal, Moneybookers, ProPay or Paymate.
    • Pay for the full amount of your purchase with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments, e.g. with a deposit followed by a final payment, are not eligible.
    • Send the payment to the seller through:
      • The eBay "Pay Now" button or
      • An eBay invoice
      • Once logged in to PayPal, click the "Send Money" tab, and then "eBay Items", under the "Purchase" tab.
    The rub is that most sellers only offer PayPal as their electronic payment method.  This is no doubt thanks to the tight relationship the two companies have had over the years.  At one time you were even obligated by eBay to accept PayPal as a seller.
    melgross said:

I see no reason why ... they wouldn’t offer the same protections through Apple Pay. After all, it’s ebay that’s giving that guarantee, not PayPal. 
    This is absolutely correct and I for one hope that this is where eBay is headed.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    melgross said:

And I know people who have had major problems with eBay. Both ways. I see no reason why, since eBay hasn’t owned PayPal for years, they wouldn’t offer the same protections through Apple Pay. After all, it’s ebay that’s giving that guarantee, not PayPal. I’ve never had a problem, though I’ve been on eBay since 2002, and have bought a LOT of stuff over the years there.

a lot of people dislike PayPal, because they can be hard to reach when you have a problem, and often, they do nothing about it. I’m looking forward to having Apple Pay on eBay.
    Actually, I've had VERY few problems buying through EBay.   It's why I use them almost exclusively.   I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mbenz1962 said:

This isn't 100% accurate. eBay's protection is separate from Paypal.  In fact, eBay only requires the use of an approved electronic payment method (of which PayPal is one).  From eBay's Purchase protection page:

• Use an approved electronic payment method to pay for your purchases, such as PayPal, Moneybookers, ProPay or Paymate.
    • Pay for the full amount of your purchase with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments, e.g. with a deposit followed by a final payment, are not eligible.
      • An eBay invoice
      • Once logged in to PayPal, click the "Send Money" tab, and then "eBay Items", under the "Purchase" tab.
    The rub is that most sellers only offer PayPal as their electronic payment method.  This is no doubt thanks to the tight relationship the two companies have had over the years.  At one time you were even obligated by eBay to accept PayPal as a seller.
    melgross said:

I see no reason why ... they wouldn’t offer the same protections through Apple Pay. After all, it’s ebay that’s giving that guarantee, not PayPal. 
    This is absolutely correct and I for one hope that this is where eBay is headed.
    Yes, the guarantee & backing is EBay's not PayPal's.   But EBay works through PayPal.  If you use a credit card (which is essentially what ApplePay is), you do not get that protection.

Yes, as I mentioned, it is theoretically possible that EBay will offer the same protection through ApplePay.   But I have seen nothing to indicate that they will.   Hopefully they will.  I have no particular love (nor hate) for PayPal.  I have never (knock on wood) had any problems with them.  So, unless ApplePay can at least match the service I get from going through PayPal, I will stick to PayPal.   Currently, I do not see any indication that ApplePay will do that. 

After thought added:   One of the key factors is that EBay holds the PayPal payment until the transaction is settled (Yeh, I know that's not technically accurate, but that's the general idea).   But, with ApplePay, they can't do that.  The transaction is completed almost immediately.   That messes up EBay's control of the transaction.
    edited July 2018 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Yes, the guarantee & backing is EBay's not PayPal's.   But EBay works through PayPal.  If you use a credit card (which is essentially what ApplePay is), you do not get that protection.
    How do you use a credit card on eBay without PayPal? The last time I did that was before eBay bought PayPal. Those were risky days back then, before we even had user names.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mbenz1962 said:

• An eBay invoice
    melgross said:

Yes, as I mentioned, it is theoretically possible that EBay will offer the same protection through ApplePay.   But I have seen nothing to indicate that they will.   Hopefully they will.  I have no particular love (nor hate) for PayPal.  I have never (knock on wood) had any problems with them.  So, unless ApplePay can at least match the service I get from going through PayPal, I will stick to PayPal.   Currently, I do not see any indication that ApplePay will do that. 

After thought added:   One of the key factors is that EBay holds the PayPal payment until the transaction is settled (Yeh, I know that's not technically accurate, but that's the general idea).   But, with ApplePay, they can't do that.  The transaction is completed almost immediately.   That messes up EBay's control of the transaction.
    Well, I think it’s very different when using a credit card on eBay than when going through a pay service such as PayPal. A credit card is an individual transaction, through companies that do no business directly with eBay. A service is specifically authorized by eBay, and gives some advantages since eBay can work with one entity, rather than the hundreds, or even thousands, around the world, as with credit cards.

with a credit card company, you must contact them over a problem. When eBay deals with a service, that covers possibly millions of customers, so eBay can much more easily (and far more cheaply, let’s not forget that!) be the middleman for you.

if eBay is going to register Apple Pay as a payment service, they could do the same thing as with PayPal. Apple does allow for contention with retailers. I’m sure that with what could be such a large customer as in eBay, something will be worked out. 
  • Reply 17 of 26
    melgross said:
    mbenz1962 said:

• An eBay invoice
    melgross said:

Well, I think it’s very different when using a credit card on eBay than when going through a pay service such as PayPal. A credit card is an individual transaction, through companies that do no business directly with eBay. A service is specifically authorized by eBay, and gives some advantages since eBay can work with one entity, rather than the hundreds, or even thousands, around the world, as with credit cards.

with a credit card company, you must contact them over a problem. When eBay deals with a service, that covers possibly millions of customers, so eBay can much more easily (and far more cheaply, let’s not forget that!) be the middleman for you.

if eBay is going to register Apple Pay as a payment service, they could do the same thing as with PayPal. Apple does allow for contention with retailers. I’m sure that with what could be such a large customer as in eBay, something will be worked out. 
    Yeh, there are ways it could be made to work.  But I have not seen any evidence that they are being implemented.  Hopefully they are.  

EBay and PayPal have always been a tightly integrated process.   It might be difficult to duplicate that unless EBay steps into the middle of the process -- say by holding the payment until the item is received by the buyer -- which would make them another PayPal.

I would want to see assurances from EBay that I am protected just like I am with PayPal before switching over to ApplePay.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    melgross said:
    mbenz1962 said:

• An eBay invoice
    melgross said:

Yeh, there are ways it could be made to work.  But I have not seen any evidence that they are being implemented.  Hopefully they are.  

EBay and PayPal have always been a tightly integrated process.   It might be difficult to duplicate that unless EBay steps into the middle of the process -- say by holding the payment until the item is received by the buyer -- which would make them another PayPal.

I would want to see assurances from EBay that I am protected just like I am with PayPal before switching over to ApplePay.
    How could you see evidence of something that hasn’t been even started yet? This move will only just begin in the fall, and completely roll out, as it’s being said, by 2021. There’s no reason any of this would be known by anyone outside those making this work. If anything, this will be proprietary information. But somehow, it will work. Have no doubt about that. I would imagine that a fair percentage of ebay’s users use iOS and Macs, or they would not be doing this, and they won’t alienate a large group of customers by not having the same services and recourse. It would make no sense from any business perspective.

A reason is that a large percentage of,eBay sellers have accounts on Amazon as well. Sometimes I buy something from an eBay seller, and it comes in an Amazon box, with a different sellers name. It’s the same seller with different names for eBay and Amazon. Because of this, buyers would leave eBay for those purchases that can be done on either, and go to Amazon. And yes, while Amazon doesn’t yet allow Apple Pay, they do have Touch ID and faceid sign-in. So, we’ll see.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 19 of 26
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    mbenz1962 said:

• An eBay invoice
    melgross said:

How could you see evidence of something that hasn’t been even started yet? This move will only just begin in the fall, and completely roll out, as it’s being said, by 2021. There’s no reason any of this would be known by anyone outside those making this work. If anything, this will be proprietary information. But somehow, it will work. Have no doubt about that. I would imagine that a fair percentage of ebay’s users use iOS and Macs, or they would not be doing this, and they won’t alienate a large group of customers by not having the same services and recourse. It would make no sense from any business perspective.

A reason is that a large percentage of,eBay sellers have accounts on Amazon as well. Sometimes I buy something from an eBay seller, and it comes in an Amazon box, with a different sellers name. It’s the same seller with different names for eBay and Amazon. Because of this, buyers would leave eBay for those purchases that can be done on either, and go to Amazon. And yes, while Amazon doesn’t yet allow Apple Pay, they do have Touch ID and faceid sign-in. So, we’ll see.
    I hope that your assumptions prove to be true.  For myself, I'll wait till EBay spells out the details.   If it's simply touting the speed, ease and efficiency of making or receiving payment I will assume the worst.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    jbdragon said:

I wouldn't assume something like that.  eBay could have the same policy's paying by Apple Pay.  Who knows, maybe it works even better.
    Not only that, but you can challenge any transaction made by credit card in US.