Google's Pixel Android strategy is destroying HTC the same way Moto X gutted Motorola

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:
    In numbers current as of last month, Android owns 78% of the worldwide market. That number pretty much speaks for itself.
    Errrnt, nope. That's just the nonsense of worshipping at the church of market share. Android isn't a company or even a product, it's a splintered code base out in the wild. The vast majority of its market share is provided by cheap chinese knockoffs that nobody even cares about.

Apple owns all the profit of the sector. It sucks it all up. It's feasting on the lion's share of meat while the rest of the android hyenas fight amongst themselves for scraps of leather and bone. "But there are more hyenas than lions!" Uhh yeah, so what??
    Android is a product. No doubt about it.

iOS is also splintered, just not as much.

The vast majority of market share is not taken by your so-called Chinese knock-offs.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/growth-outside-china-pushes-use-chinese-smartphones-47-yoy/

Apple doesn't own all the profit.

Just about 70% of the entire smartphones industries profits, with 50% of the total sales dollars, with Samsung taking up most of the rest of the profits.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 62 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,583member
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:
    In numbers current as of last month, Android owns 78% of the worldwide market. That number pretty much speaks for itself.
    Errrnt, nope. That's just the nonsense of worshipping at the church of market share. Android isn't a company or even a product, it's a splintered code base out in the wild. The vast majority of its market share is provided by cheap chinese knockoffs that nobody even cares about.

Apple owns all the profit of the sector. It sucks it all up. It's feasting on the lion's share of meat while the rest of the android hyenas fight amongst themselves for scraps of leather and bone. "But there are more hyenas than lions!" Uhh yeah, so what??

The vast majority of market share is not taken by your so-called Chinese knock-offs.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/growth-outside-china-pushes-use-chinese-smartphones-47-yoy/

Just about 70% of the entire smartphones industries profits, with 50% of the total sales dollars, with Samsung taking up most of the rest of the profits.
    Well if accurate that's certainly substantially better than Apple claiming 103% of all smartphone profits just a couple years ago. It's apparently improving quickly. 
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/03/apple-captures-more-than-103-of-smartphone-profits-in-q3-despite-shrinking-shipments
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 63 of 112
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,964member
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

That's far more realistic.

July through September last year it went down to 60%. After X it went up to around 86% for a short period. I think your guesstimate could be on or around the sweet spot right now.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:
    The reason Google fails is because they see no value in the hardware, this company is run by a bunch of software types and they see hardware only a means to the end like using a pencil to write on paper.
    I don’t think that’s true. The Pixel and Nexus phones have consistently had the best or near-best hardware of the whole Android ecosystem, surpassed only (occasionally) by Samsung. Nest hardware happens to be great too.

But despite being reasonably good at software, Android itself sucks. Java turned out to be a lousy platform upon which to build mobile devices and it’s gotten bad enough that they’re starting over with a clean slate (Fuchsia).

And their consumer experience also sucks. Lousy marketing, and no equivalent to the Apple Stores and Genius Bars. Going back to my story about my physical therapist earlier: If he were having these problems with an iPhone, I’d tell him to just walk down the street to the Apple Store (it's eight streets away). There's no Genius Bar for Nexus phones; his emails to Google support go into a black hole. 

Ironically, I think hardware is the only problem Android phones don’t have.

Trust me they have lots of hardware issues, and Google does not respect the value that Hardware has in the overall strategy. If google really saw value in hardware they would not allow outside companies design their hardware.

...and thus the HTC engineering group acquisition. By the time the 2019 models roll around (considering 24 month leads) it should be a Google engineered and Google designed smartphone top to bottom. 

Do you really believe HTC engineers are of the caliber of those employed by Apple. Apple engineers are not cut and paste engineers. I am familiar with HTC engineering efforts and they okay when you turn over a design to them and they just have to figure out how to build it but making something from start to finish is totally another story. Motorola has some of the best engineers in the cell phone industry and Google could not turn a product out with their engineering staff. Again is comes down to Google lack the hardware engineering and system design knowledge it requires to make a phone work well. They think hardware should be able to run any software.
    I wouldn’t say it’s engineering talent, per se. it’s management. It’s always management. Management causes a company to be successful, and it causes it to fail. Management decides on products, it decides on QC, it decides on marketing. It does all the hires. Remember the problem Apple had with maps? Scott was considered to be one of the most brilliant people in the industry, but he made major mistakes, and didn’t tell his colleagues about all the problems before release.

a problem like that would have killed a smaller company.

HTC was out of its depth, once it began to market its own named brand products. For a while it went well enough, then it fell apart. That began long before they made products for Google.
    edited July 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 65 of 112

gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:
    The reason Google fails is because they see no value in the hardware, this company is run by a bunch of software types and they see hardware only a means to the end like using a pencil to write on paper.
    I don’t think that’s true. The Pixel and Nexus phones have consistently had the best or near-best hardware of the whole Android ecosystem, surpassed only (occasionally) by Samsung. Nest hardware happens to be great too.

But despite being reasonably good at software, Android itself sucks. Java turned out to be a lousy platform upon which to build mobile devices and it’s gotten bad enough that they’re starting over with a clean slate (Fuchsia).

And their consumer experience also sucks. Lousy marketing, and no equivalent to the Apple Stores and Genius Bars. Going back to my story about my physical therapist earlier: If he were having these problems with an iPhone, I’d tell him to just walk down the street to the Apple Store (it's eight streets away). There's no Genius Bar for Nexus phones; his emails to Google support go into a black hole. 

Trust me they have lots of hardware issues, and Google does not respect the value that Hardware has in the overall strategy. If google really saw value in hardware they would not allow outside companies design their hardware.

...and thus the HTC engineering group acquisition. By the time the 2019 models roll around (considering 24 month leads) it should be a Google engineered and Google designed smartphone top to bottom. 

Do you really believe HTC engineers are of the caliber of those employed by Apple. Apple engineers are not cut and paste engineers. I am familiar with HTC engineering efforts and they okay when you turn over a design to them and they just have to figure out how to build it but making something from start to finish is totally another story. Motorola has some of the best engineers in the cell phone industry and Google could not turn a product out with their engineering staff. Again is comes down to Google lack the hardware engineering and system design knowledge it requires to make a phone work well. They think hardware should be able to run any software.
    Well then you are obviously intimately involved with HTC engineering and can speak with more authority than I could. I'll defer to your expertise on the subject. 
    Still answers your criteria for proving Google "saw the value in hardware" by now designing their own hardware with their own design engineers, and reportedly using the same contractors as Apple does to build 'em. 

Since there's zero chance they could acqui-hire the Apple iPhone engineering team... :)
    Im not sure if it’s going to make much of a difference. We see that Google want to make its own chips ala Apple. But so does Facebook, Microsoft, and others. It’s going to get crowded soon. But it will take a couple of years, at least, before we see anything.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:

Well then you are obviously intimately involved with HTC engineering and can speak with more authority than I could. I'll defer to your expertise on the subject. 
    Still answers your criteria for proving Google "saw the value in hardware" by now designing their own hardware with their own design engineers, and reportedly using the same contractors as Apple does to build 'em. 

Since there's zero chance they could acqui-hire the Apple iPhone engineering team... :)
    Im not sure if it’s going to make much of a difference. We see that Google want to make its own chips ala Apple. But so does Facebook, Microsoft, and others. It’s going to get crowded soon. But it will take a couple of years, at least, before we see anything.
    Agreed. Still, it's obvious Google has recognized the value of hardware and going about their smartphone strategy differently. 
  • Reply 67 of 112

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

Well if accurate that's certainly substantially better than Apple claiming 103% of all smartphone profits just a couple years ago. It's apparently improving quickly. 
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/03/apple-captures-more-than-103-of-smartphone-profits-in-q3-despite-shrinking-shipments
    I’m not sure what you mean by “claim” as it wasn’t Apple saying that, unless they quoted some industry source from IDC or Gardner as they often do. But at the time, Samsung was losing money on their smartphone operations, as was everyone else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

That's far more realistic.

July through September last year it went down to 60%. After X it went up to around 86% for a short period. I think your guesstimate could be on or around the sweet spot right now.
    It’s what I read somewhere, supposedly authoritative.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “claim” as it wasn’t Apple saying that, unless they quoted some industry source from IDC or Gardner as they often do. But at the time, Samsung was losing money on their smartphone operations, as was everyone else.
    I don't mean Apple making the claim, but that reports were saying Apple was laying claim to 103% of the industry profits. 
  • Reply 70 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    cropr said:

Google not being able to copy Apple's hardware business model (despite a decade of desperately trying, with the support of the Verge and people like you making great brags and then great excuses and then saying its all part of the plan for Google to be burning through hundreds of millions of dollars in failures year after year for a decade) is a pretty serious problem, but losing control of the rest of Android (that's not already lost in China) is also a problem. Google fans fantasize about Chinese companies competing against iPhone, but what happens when Chinese service providers take over outside of China? Where is Google left? How does it compete with an easy copy of search ads? It's already losing to Facebook.

Where did you get the false idea that Google is trying to copy the business model of Apple?  Apple is the business of selling devices, Google is in the business of selling services.

While Apple has some successful service business as well, these services are directly linked to and integrated with the devices Apple is selling.   If Apple would not have a hugely successful iPhone, the interest in Apple Music would be low.

Google Search, Android and Google Cloud Platform are strategic products for Google, the Pixel hardware is not.   The main issue for Pixel is not the technical part, but the marketing and sales.  Google has no physical stores, no Genius Bar, no great marketing campaigns, no great designs,... things that are vital to sell physical goods to the consumer market.  Only if Google would set up all of this, Google will have the intention to copy the Apple hardware business model
    Yeah, if only Apple didn't have the successful iPod, for music downloads, prior to the super successful iPhone, leading to ever increasing interest in Apple Music.

You almost acknowledge that Apple knows what it is doing in music. 

Next up Audio...
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 112

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

Uhm, you are aware that Apple will be supporting iOS 12 all the way back to the iPhone 5s which arrived in September 2013; essentially every 64 bit iPhone model. Not much "splintered" there compared to all of the unique models, UX's and UI's, forks, and bundled spyware, that as a generalization, defines Android OS devices.

Certainly, specific device makers do better than others as far as Android OS "splintering".

No one ever stated that Apple owns ALL the profit, but it is certainly true that Apple retains most of the profits of hardware device makers. What you don't like to acknowledge, much anyway, is the acquisition costs that those same Chinese device makers have to sink in order to increase unit sales. 

But, yeah, I'm not supposed to talk about ASP 'cause it hurts the consumer.
    edited July 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 112
    w8ng4uw8ng4u Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:

You talk as if you are an expert on Android devices, but in reality you are just another Apple fan that assumes a lot more than you know. I say Apple fan because of how you trash talked the Pixel, without acknowledging that iPhones do the same thing. And your assumptions on Nexus/Pixel hardware is far from fact. Nexus devices were built with B-grade parts. ie. Hardware that wasn't good enough to go into flagships. The only Nexus device that I am not sure of on that is the 6p. And if the parts weren't B-grade, they were the cheapest that could be put into a phone. Cept for the screens, and that is up for debate. The Pixels....have decent hardware at best. The screens are kinda meh and the camera sensors are just about the worst your can find in a flagship.
    As for your all other Android phones are trash comment above... You should get out more. And you really shouldn't be giving buying advice to others if that is what you truly believe.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    w8ng4u said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    maestro64 said:

You talk as if you are an expert on Android devices, but in reality you are just another Apple fan that assumes a lot more than you know. I say Apple fan because of how you trash talked the Pixel, without acknowledging that iPhones do the same thing. And your assumptions on Nexus/Pixel hardware is far from fact. Nexus devices were built with B-grade parts. ie. Hardware that wasn't good enough to go into flagships. The only Nexus device that I am not sure of on that is the 6p. And if the parts weren't B-grade, they were the cheapest that could be put into a phone. Cept for the screens, and that is up for debate. The Pixels....have decent hardware at best. The screens are kinda meh and the camera sensors are just about the worst your can find in a flagship.
    As for your all other Android phones are trash comment above... You should get out more. And you really shouldn't be giving buying advice to others if that is what you truly believe.

Hold on, I am an Android fan too and I somewhat agree with his comments than yours. Most of the Android phones offer good hardware for the money that they charge. The biggest problem in Android world is - Heavy Custom skins which degrade performance AND in some cases spyware/malware. And some of them shamelessly make the UI look similar to iOS (including the limitations which do not make any sense for an Android phone) just so that they can look like cheap knockoffs of iPhone. Once trust is lost with the software, there is no point talking about the devices themselves, right?
    tmayradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 112
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

Uhm, you are aware that Apple will be supporting iOS 12 all the way back to the iPhone 5s which arrived in September 2013; essentially every 64 bit iPhone model. Not much "splintered" there compared to all of the unique models, UX's and UI's, forks, and bundled spyware, that as a generalization, defines Android OS devices.

Certainly, specific device makers do better than others as far as Android OS "splintering".

No one ever stated that Apple owns ALL the profit, but it is certainly true that Apple retains most of the profits of hardware device makers. What you don't like to acknowledge, much anyway, is the acquisition costs that those same Chinese device makers have to sink in order to increase unit sales. 

Uhm, yes I'm aware of that. It won't change what I said. 

"No one ever stated that Apple owns ALL the profit"

But they did, and it is one of the reasons I commented. You quoted it yourself. If you click on 'show previous quotes'  you will see this:

"Apple owns all the profit of the sector. It sucks it all up"

You are correct, though. 

ASP (you're talking specifically about high ASP) doesn't hurt (beyond burning a bigger hole in the pocket) the consumer. It is simply irrevelant to the consumer.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

gatorguy said:
    melgross said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

I don't mean Apple making the claim, but that reports were saying Apple was laying claim to 103% of the industry profits. 
    Yeah, that’s right.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

But they did, and it is one of the reasons I commented. You quoted it yourself. If you click on 'show previous quotes'  you will see this:

You are correct, though. 

ASP (you're talking specifically about high ASP) doesn't hurt (beyond burning a bigger hole in the pocket) the consumer. It is simply irrevelant to the consumer.
    Lack of enough ASP for a device maker forces them to cobble up and install a heck of a lot of crap (malware, spyware, adware, sketchy services) on a device in order to generate a bit of revenue. Wouldn't you agree  that might lead to a lesser user experience compared to, say, a Pixel 2?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 112
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

You are correct, though. 

Lack of enough ASP for a device maker forces them to cobble up and install a heck of a lot of crap (malware, spyware, adware, sketchy services) on a device in order to generate a bit of revenue. Wouldn't you agree  that might lead to a lesser user experience compared to, say, a Pixel 2?
    I have said it many times. Most companies exist to make money. Very, very few aspire to make the most money.

The same applies to ASP.

You have people right here claiming 'but Apple makes the most money', 'Apple has the highest ASP', etc

My reply is 'and...?'

In the past I have given examples of companies that just want to provide a decent product at a decent price and do it profitably.

This particular industry has reached saturation point in the developed world, has seen slight contraction and consolidation. That is putting a squeeze on the smaller fish in the pond but there are still hundreds of companies making a profit even though some go out of business. 

At the other end you have companies producing far better phones than even the iPhone X, at far lower prices, on much lower ASPs. Huawei invests 10% of its revenues each year in R&D and has more than 80,000 employees working in R&D around the globe. It counts profits in the billions but doesn't have the highest ASP. That R&D investment can lead to patents. Ironically, Apple licences a ton of patents to Apple. All this with a far lower ASP than Apple.

ASP is nice for investors. Consumers don't care. Perhaps they would care more if they were informed of how much of the purchase price went directly into Apple's tax free coffers and sat there for years on end.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 78 of 112
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 972member
    w8ng4u said:
    Eric_WVGG said: [stuff]

sure dude.

Thanks for taking the time to register an account here just to give me a piece of your mind, btw.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:

JimmyZuma said:

You are correct, though. 

I have said it many times. Most companies exist to make money. Very, very few aspire to make the most money.

The same applies to ASP.

You have people right here claiming 'but Apple makes the most money', 'Apple has the highest ASP', etc

My reply is 'and...?'

In the past I have given examples of companies that just want to provide a decent product at a decent price and do it profitably.

This particular industry has reached saturation point in the developed world, has seen slight contraction and consolidation. That is putting a squeeze on the smaller fish in the pond but there are still hundreds of companies making a profit even though some go out of business. 

At the other end you have companies producing far better phones than even the iPhone X, at far lower prices, on much lower ASPs. Huawei invests 10% of its revenues each year in R&D and has more than 80,000 employees working in R&D around the globe. It counts profits in the billions but doesn't have the highest ASP. That R&D investment can lead to patents. Ironically, Apple licences a ton of patents to Apple. All this with a far lower ASP than Apple.

ASP is nice for investors. Consumers don't care. Perhaps they would care more if they were informed of how much of the purchase price went directly into Apple's tax free coffers and sat there for years on end.
    You totally ignored the point of crapware as a substitute for revenue on low ASP models. That certainly has an effect on consumers, who likely care about malware, spyware, and adware, that comes with there "cheap" phone.

I couldn't resist throwing this in:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/23/iphone-x-resale-value/
    edited July 2018 watto_cobra