Rumor says 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will offer 'flash yellow' & 'taupe' colors

Posted:
in iPhone
This year's expected 6.1-inch LCD iPhone may come in white, black, taupe, gold, "flash yellow," "bright orange," and "electronic [sic] blue" colors, a recent report suggests.

An iPhone X mockup in 'blush gold,' a color Apple never actually shipped.
An iPhone X mockup in 'blush gold,' a color Apple never actually shipped.

The shades should be similar to Apple's current leather iPhone cases, said Japan's Macotakara, citing predictions by supply chain sources. The claim is questionable, since the website has a mixed track record and Apple has been mostly conservative with iPhone colors since 2014's iPhone 6.

On the other hand, well-connected TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has proposed that the phone will ship in gray, white, blue, red, and orange. Those mostly align with the Macotakara report, with the exception of red, "flash yellow," and taupe.

The last iPhone to come in a truly diverse set of colors was 2013's iPhone 5c. That product used a plastic shell though, making alternate colors easier to produce, whereas every 2018 iPhone is forecast to use a mix of glass and metal.

Aside from the 6.1-inch phone, which could cost around $600 to $700, the other iPhones in the works for 2018 are believed to be 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, starting at about $800-900 and $999. All three should have edge-to-edge displays, and TrueDepth cameras for Face ID and animoji.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Whatever colors 6.1" LCD iPhone comes in but better reflect the same tech as rest of it's siblings except the OLED part and reasonably priced. If prices(6.1" iphone $600; 5.8" iPhone $800; 6.5" iPhone $999) for the upcoming iPhones are correct than expect Apple will sell lot and reach ONE TRILLION valuation by January 2019. Price do matter because Kantar's research for 2nd quarter suggests IPhone 8/Plus selling well.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 2 of 15
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    Was going to get a 5.8” but the 6.1” has the colors I like!  The 5.8” stale color choice is lame!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Taupe is an interesting choice. I wonder if it’s PMS 453? ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    wood1208 said:
    Whatever colors 6.1" LCD iPhone comes in but better reflect the same tech as rest of it's siblings except the OLED part and reasonably priced. If prices(6.1" iphone $600; 5.8" iPhone $800; 6.5" iPhone $999) for the upcoming iPhones are correct than expect Apple will sell lot and reach ONE TRILLION valuation by January 2019. Price do matter because Kantar's research for 2nd quarter suggests IPhone 8/Plus selling well.
    If the only difference between the 6.1" LCD model and the iPhone X model is OLED display, then I highly doubt OLED is enough of an incentive to pony up the extra cash for the iPhone X.  It needs more than OLED to diffferentiate itself.
    doozydozenAvieshekredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    The rumor mill knows nothing about colors. Why even report on this?
    mac_dogGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 15
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Apple Watch colors. Awesome 
    Avieshekireland
  • Reply 7 of 15
    wood1208 said:
    The 6.1” LCD is the follow-on to this year’s 8/8 Plus, which sell for $699/$799. There’s absolutely no reason to think it would sell for $600, especially after adding the expensive FaceID hardware. I expect $749. I also doubt they’d knock $200 off the X; I think $899 is much more likely, with the X Plus going for $999. 

re: features of the LCD model—single lens rear camera and no 3D Touch are rumored; both seem plausible. There are no rumors on A11 vs A12, or 3GB vs. 4GB RAM but I expect A12 and 3GB. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Taupe? A primary doctor office waiting room color? That sounds awful.
    Danny: "Why do they always paint hallways that color?"
    Rusty: "They say taupe is very soothing."
    Start at 0m:44s...

edited July 2018 tmay
  • Reply 9 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    wood1208 said:
    If the only difference between the 6.1" LCD model and the iPhone X model is OLED display, then I highly doubt OLED is enough of an incentive to pony up the extra cash for the iPhone X.  It needs more than OLED to diffferentiate itself.
    You wish for the price, dude. The OLED series will be ar least $999/$899 for X Plus/X. 6.1” LCD will be at $749-$799 range. I don’t believe it’ll be even below $700.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    If Apple sells that for 600 dollars they will dominate the market.

In other countries 800 dollars, when converted, is too high!

600 will make a big impact on the Brazil market, for example.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Flash yellow seems nice, but my iPhone X is in a case anyway, so I never see its white back. I'm not taking any risks with a glass front/back $1,000 smartphone.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    New, less boring colours would be nice as an option.

It's true that most phones end up in cases but colours still attract. Mustard copper metalic look would look amazing if someone dared run with that combo.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    mazda 3s said:
    Flash yellow seems nice, but my iPhone X is in a case anyway, so I never see its white back. I'm not taking any risks with a glass front/back $1,000 smartphone.
    And that's why I have mine in a clear case.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    calfotocalfoto Posts: 70member
    mac_128 said:
    Taupe is an interesting choice. I wonder if it’s PMS 453? ;-)
    The original Mac color?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    mazda 3s said:
    I take those risks when out with friends, dinner, etc, since it’s very sleek and feels great in the hand, and I have AC on it. But if I’m somewhere like the gym I put a case on it since I’m less careful there. So far so good...has some scratches and nicks but not a problem for the IUP.