iPhone 8 & 8 Plus help boost Apple to 38.7 percent of US smartphone market

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Although most media attention has been focused on the state-of-the-art iPhone X, it's the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus that have helped push Apple to 38.7 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, according to June-quarter estimates published this week.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus

The company is up 5.9 points year-over-year, claimed Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. Together, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus represented almost a fifth of all smartphones sold in the quarter.

The iPhone X ranked as the fourth-best selling device, despite its $999 entry cost. In all iPhones represented eight out of 10 top models, with Kantar remarking that a "lack of depth in the mid-high tier is allowing Apple to find a new avenue for growth."

The X continued to hold onto first place in China, a spot it has controlled since the phone's November launch. Its 5.3-percent share wasn't enough to offset a 2.1-point drop in Apple's overall Chinese marketshare, though -- the company fell to 19.4 percent, while Android devices collectively grew 2 points to 80.4 percent.

Apple's U.S. performance is significant, since Android simultaneously slid 4.5 points there to 61 percent. The Chinese market is larger, but Americans typically have more disposable income and can often afford more expensive phones. For many Chinese, an iPhone 8 would consume a whole month's salary.

Elsewhere in the world Apple made modest gains in countries like Australia, France, Germany, and Spain, but declines in Italy, Japan, and the U.K.

The company could change up trends with this fall's new iPhones. Rumors have pointed to 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, as well as a 6.1-inch LCD device. All three should have edge-to-edge displays, and TrueDepth cameras for Face ID, but the 5.8- and 6.1-inch phones may come in cheaper than the iPhone X with prices around $800-900 and $600-700, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dix99dix99 Posts: 12member
    With deals like BoGo free, it made me upgrade. I switched from AT&T, who I’ve been with since the 1st iPhone, to T-Mobile. The service for my area is just as good, it’s cheaper & I get free Netflix. Deals like these probably account for most sales. 
    78Bandit
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I wouldn't say most sales. Next fall I plan on getting my dad an iPhone 8. He likes his gadgets but he doesn't love learning new things. I'll probably avoid getting either of my parents anything without Touch ID for as long as I can.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    dix99 said:
    With deals like BoGo free, it made me upgrade. I switched from AT&T, who I’ve been with since the 1st iPhone, to T-Mobile. The service for my area is just as good, it’s cheaper & I get free Netflix. Deals like these probably account for most sales. 
    Ever since T-Mobile reported the merger with Sprint my service has gone to 💩 

The speed has been cut in half, and I frequently loose data connections.

Also take a look at their website, they’ve buried all the live human support options.

T-Mobile is becoming Sprint, and that’s a terrible thing for customers.

The world would be a better place if Sprint didn’t exist.  T-Mobile you were great. RIP
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This means iPhone with TouchID will continue to be loved/bought by reluctant to adopt new tech iPhone users. That puts pressure on upcoming trio FaceID iPhones.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    wood1208 said:
    This means iPhone with TouchID will continue to be loved/bought by reluctant to adopt new tech iPhone users. That puts pressure on upcoming trio FaceID iPhones.
    TouchID works great.  Long live TouchID   !!!!
    canukstorm
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    You’re assuming the reason they’re buying the phone is TouchID; but they could be buying it because it’s cheaper. 
    PickUrPoisonbestkeptsecretcaladanianmike1tmay
  • Reply 7 of 15
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    TouchID & iOS 11 has made an excellent combination.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    TouchID does work great. But FaceID is faster, easier, and more secure. This is like saying "I was perfectly happy with hard drives! Why did you change it, there was nothing wrong with them!"

Also, the phrase "reluctant to adopt new tech" is a perfect description of the customers Apple doesn't really want or aim for, to be blunt. Every single new model of anything Apple (or Samsung/MS/Google/et al) makes offers "new tech" and new software. If you haven't gotten used to that after 40+ years of constant changes (which are actually more minor now than say 10 years ago, and 98 percent of them improvements on what went before), you're not really quite grasping the whole "tech" thing.

I've made a little cottage industry out of converting seniors to iPads and keyboards from (mostly) Windows systems -- it's simpler, more reliable, less wires, does what they want, has great universal access controls, and now you can even draw on them. For $329, or the price of a really poor and underpowered Windows box.
    edited July 2018 caladanianmike1Rayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 15
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    wood1208 said:
    Such a strange assumption.  For example I’d imagine people who bought 8+ bought it because they love bigger screen, and many if not a majority who bought 8 bought it because it’s cheaper yet on par on X. (& they might not like being on the cutting edge with the good and the bad that comes with it)

Your assumption will make sense if people willing to pay ‘more’ for TouchID than FaceID but that isn’t the case. 
    edited July 2018 mike1Rayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What?   No come back and deflection post from gatorguy?
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacPro said:
    What?   No come back and deflection post from gatorguy?

I think you are reading the wrong forum then. It may help if you can go back and re-read what gatorguy posts in this forum.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    dix99 said:
    This. All four major carriers consistently ran BOGO deals throughout the year, but almost always on the 8’s. We caught one of verizon’s BOGO X deals and upgraded, but would have been perfectly content with our 7 Pluses if they hadn’t run that promo.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple doesn't care about market share. They make more money with each phone than all the Androids put together.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    wood1208 said:
    This statement is as ridiculous as saying that most people who buy Android phones do so because they run Android instead of iOS. That percentage is absolutely negligible. The vast majority will get an 8 instead of a X because of the price, and same with an iPhone vs Android. If money was no object to people, you'd probably see 90%+ marketshare of Apple products worldwide. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    slurpy said:
    wood1208 said:
    This statement is as ridiculous as saying that most people who buy Android phones do so because they run Android instead of iOS. That percentage is absolutely negligible. The vast majority will get an 8 instead of a X because of the price, and same with an iPhone vs Android. If money was no object to people, you'd probably see 90%+ marketshare of Apple products worldwide. 
      Apple doesn't care about market share. They would deal exclusively with the one percenters if that's how they could maximize their profits.