Gary Vaynerchuk slams Apple for 'Planet of the Apps' marketing flop

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    The show looked like crap from the very beginning, they probably made a lot of mistakes but from the start the hosts of the show were very weak: Will.i.am - tech entrepreneur with a bunch of failed companies, Jessica Alba - the most boring person on the planet (seriously, look up any recent interview) and Gary Vablahbla - never heard of the guy, but he seems to be a royal asshole. 

Till this day I don't even know where you can watch Planet of the Apps! So yeah a big flop, but definitely not Gary's fault, he was the BEST judge and he could've solely fix all the issues the show had, but Apple clearly didn't let him. 
  • Reply 42 of 47
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    What is Planet of the Apps?!
    What's point of this post? To highlight your ignorance?
  • Reply 43 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    “But but but but but but I thought Apple was JUST a marketing company!”

Seriously, I’m not surprised that Apple’s “offerings” have failed. They’re basically without substance, and trying to appeal to all audiences appeals to no audience.
    Quite right. No point of view in current bland shows indicate their “designed by committee” origins.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    igorsky said:
    What is Planet of the Apps?!
    What's point of this post? To highlight your ignorance?
    Oh no, not at all... it was in the spirit of, "what's a Zune?"

;-)
    electrosoftasdasd
  • Reply 45 of 47
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    “But but but but but but I thought Apple was JUST a marketing company!”

Seriously, I’m not surprised that Apple’s “offerings” have failed. They’re basically without substance, and trying to appeal to all audiences appeals to no audience.
    TS - one of the few times we agree! But, credit were it’s due, you are right on point with this comment. 
  • Reply 46 of 47
    CobraGuyCobraGuy Posts: 76member
    The guy is full of it. That said, the show pretty much sucked though.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    blastdoor said:
    I think Apple's mistake in the video content realm was all the years they spent trying to negotiate a deal with Big Content that would make AppleTV a kind of iTunes for video. They thought they could replicate the kinds of deals they made with the music labels but that didn't work. 

The reason it worked with music was the success of Napster. The music guys were terrified. The video guys, though, were not in nearly as weak a position. I think they just led Apple on, making it seem that a deal was right around the corner, as a way to freeze Apple out of doing anything to really compete 

I still don't think Apple has the right strategy in this space. I suspect they will end up wasting a lot of money to develop mediocre shows. 

Agree 100%. Seems like a complete waste of time, attention, and resources. Especially given how much phenomenal stuff is out there now. 
    Apple just needs to buy Netflix or even maybe Hulu or something, use their far more advanced and proven content creation, production and delivery systems to continue their goals for the future. Also buying AMD would be a great advantage to apple in the near to long term future