Apple design head Jonathan Ive to talk at Wired's 25th anniversary

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2018
Apple's chief design officer, Jonathan Ive, will speak at an October event in San Francisco marking the 25th anniversary of Wired Magazine.

Jony Ive

Ive will go on stage Oct. 15, Wired revealed on Thursday. Starting Oct. 12, the event will also host people like Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, and not one but two Wojcikis -- Anne, the CEO of 23andMe, and Susan, in charge of YouTube.

While the event is another edition of the magazine's annual Business Conference, the special anniversary will add a retrospective focus as well as musings about the future of technology.

A ticket to Ive's part of the event currently costs $993, while an all-access pass is $1,125. Prices will go up after Aug. 20.

Ive has a long history with Apple. After doing consulting with the company, he joined full-time in 1992, and is credited with core design work on many key products such as iPhones and iPads. His role as morphed over the years -- in 2012, for instance, he began handling some of Apple's "human interface" design.

In May 2015 he was promoted to "chief design officer," distancing himself from many day-to-day concerns, which were handed off to Alan Dye and Richard Howarth. Apple reversed course in December 2017 though, giving Ive direct management of the company's design teams.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Jony Ive . I would love to learn things from him.
    JWSC
  • Reply 2 of 54
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Unless he can come up with a user fixable Mac using current technology I can’t hear him.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 54
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Oh crap, more bullshit from Ive.
    SpamSandwichAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 54
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    I love Jony Ive.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    entropys said:
    Unless he can come up with a user fixable Mac using current technology I can’t hear him.
    Those days are loooooonnnnnng gone.

A bit like user fixable cars.

caladanianStrangeDaysmwhiteJWSCfastasleeptmayAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    AI_lias said:
    Oh crap, more bullshit from Ive.
    It’s fun to mock what we don’t understand.
    mwhiteJWSCfastasleepuniscapetmay
  • Reply 7 of 54
    entropys said:
    What kind of DIY repairs do you do to your tablet? Your phone? Your television? Microwave? Car? Ah yeah, none.

Appliance computing is here to stay. DIY tinkering isn’t high on their feature set for the customer base. Get a PC and go crazy.
    edited July 2018 mwhiteJWSCfastasleepRayz2016techprod1gytmayjony0Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

In May 2015 he was promoted to "chief design officer," distancing himself from many day-to-day concerns, which were handed off to Alan Dye and Richard Howarth. Apple reversed course in December 2017 though, giving Ive direct management of the company's design teams.

I think this was a temporary thing so he could focus on personally laser-etching every single fawcett in the new campus. He was always planning to resume his original role once the building finished.
    fastasleepAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Man, I remember WIRED back then. It was so good. Gave up on it long ago tho. 

Shame they let bitrot invalidate their most famous of Webmonkey Javascript tutorials (“Thau’s Javascript Tutorial”)...it was one of the best, and launched many a career, my own included. Was from the late ‘90s but they had updated it for a while:

https://www.wired.com/2010/02/javascript-tutorial/
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The title of his talk is rumored to be "Magazine binding designs: 1993 to today, a retrospective."
    SpamSandwichAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 54
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:
    What kind of DIY repairs do you do to your tablet? Your phone? Your television? Microwave? Car? Ah yeah, none.

Appliance computing is here to stay. DIY tinkering isn’t high on their feature set for the customer base. Get a PC and go crazy.
    A tablet costs a few hundred dollars.  If it breaks you just get a new one.  A high end MBP costs well over AUD$5k. In fact spec it out and it is over $7k.  These should have a decent shelf life because of that, have a degree of upgradability, and minor stuff not require shipping off somewhere to get fixed or replaced. You know, a proper balance between liberal arts and engineering.  

Ive just needs a handler to restore balance to the Mac.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 54
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I’m curious why he gets invited to these things as he’s painfully shy doing public speaking. Unfortunately it makes I’m not a great interview.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    I can't wait to listen to him stumble over his words for 30 minutes.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 54
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:

A tablet costs a few hundred dollars.  If it breaks you just get a new one.  A high end MBP costs well over AUD$5k. In fact spec it out and it is over $7k.  These should have a decent shelf life because of that, have a degree of upgradability, and minor stuff not require shipping off somewhere to get fixed or replaced. You know, a proper balance between liberal arts and engineering.  

Ive doesn’t run hardware engineering. It’s highly doubtful he (or he alone) decides whether Macs will be user upgradeable/repairable. If anything it’s probably product marketing or finance making the decision as Apple makes a ton of money off of RAM and other upgrades.
    JWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 54
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:

I paid more than that for my car and I can't fix it not like back in the 70's so what that's called progress, now you can't fix your so high priced computer so what that's called progress, like StrangeDays said get a pc and fix it all you want......
    JWSCStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 54
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Isn't Wired officially Tired?
    JWSC
  • Reply 17 of 54
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:

Ive doesn’t run hardware engineering. It’s highly doubtful he (or he alone) decides whether Macs will be user upgradeable/repairable. If anything it’s probably product marketing or finance making the decision as Apple makes a ton of money off of RAM and other upgrades.
    Jony Ive's design group is probably the most influential group inside all of Apple. If they wanted user-upgradeable devices, I'm willing to bet they would get it.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    entropys said:

Are you saying that you wouldn't be able to do basic repairs on a late model vehicle? I'm not talking about rebuilding a transmission but just general garden variety repairs.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 19 of 54
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:

Jony Ive's design group is probably the most influential group inside all of Apple. If they wanted user-upgradeable devices, I'm willing to bet they would get it.
      If it wasn't for Johnny they would never have been so thin.

Apple is making more money than ever!
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 20 of 54
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    entropys said:

I have my TV torn apart, replacing the back light, I can attach a picture if you need proof. Microwave? Pretty easy to repair. Car? Maintenance all the time. Repairs from time to time, rarely does it go to the shop unless I am too busy.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N