New rumor claims 2018 iPad Pros will be smaller, drop headphone jacks

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's anticipated iPad Pro refresh will see both the 10.5- and 12.9-inch models shrink in some dimensions, but also lose their headphone jacks, a report claimed on Friday.

A mockup of a 2018 iPad Pro design.
A mockup of a 2018 iPad Pro design.

The 10.5-inch model will go from 250.6 x 174.1 x 6.1 millimeters to 247.5 x 178.7 x 6, according to Japanese site Macotakara. The 12.9-inch device will allegedly switch from 305.7 x 220.6 x 6.9 millimeters to 280 x 215 x 6.4.

Those specifications would be consistent with multiple rumors that Apple is planning to bring the Pro line closer to an edge-to-edge display, akin to the iPhone X. The absence of a headphone jack hasn't been strongly hinted at however, and Macotakara further says that Apple won't bundle Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters, which might make for an abrupt transition.

Another potentially dubious claim in the report is that while the new Pros will adopt Face ID -- something that has been asserted repeatedly -- they won't support recognition in landscape mode. That would cause trouble, since many people use iPads primarily or exclusively in that orientation, especially if they own a keyboard.

Finally, Macotakara indicates that Smart Connectors will move to the "lower rear side" of iPads, near their Lightning connectors.

Apple is expected to ship its new Pro models sometime this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The iPad design tends to follow the iPhone design (but more powerful) so not to hard to make predictions after the release of the corresponding iPhone generation.
    lamboaudi4AvieshekJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 83
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    ascii said:
    The iPad design tends to follow the iPhone design (but more powerful) so not to hard to make predictions after the release of the corresponding iPhone generation.
    This is all based on purported specs coming from a supplier, they're not guessing based on an iPhone design.
    lamboaudi4
  • Reply 3 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:
    This is all based on purported specs coming from a supplier, they're not guessing based on an iPhone design.
    Yup and good on them for getting that source. But we all know the iPhone is 70% of Apple's business, and that the iPad and Mac just get hand-me-down software and hardware features from that. So its just confirmation of what people would have guessed anyway, nice to have but not a surprise.

However with recent reports that the cellphone market is finally becoming "saturated" this is where it gets interesting! Will Apple move primary focus to wearables now? All companies want growth. Will computer, tablet, phone all get hand-me-down from wearables? I actually think wearables are very cool and want them to be the primary focus of one company at least.
    AvieshekJWSCAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 83
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    AppleInsider said:
    Finally, Macotakara indicates that Smart Connectors will move to the "lower rear side" of iPads, near their Lightning connectors. 
    That's similar to the reports that the Smart Connector would be in that position on the iPhone for the past few years. Doesn't work, since the keyboard cover would still need to attach on the left edge of the device. The design of the Smart Connector means having it anywhere other than an edge makes it less useful as a connector. Putting it near the Lightning Connector leaves you wondering why you don't just use that, since it has more functionality.
    caladaniannetmageAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 83
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    New Mini, please...
    dewmeireland
  • Reply 6 of 83
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    ike17055 said:
    New Mini, please...
    Not worth the effort by Apple.

If you need it small, a new 9.7” without the bezel would be about the same size.
    Avieshek1983caladanianlkruppnetmagelamboaudi4
  • Reply 7 of 83
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Should the home button be removed from the iPad, I hope they tweak how the home bar functions. On the phone it makes sense to leave it at the bottom, but given in our house every family member that uses one of our two iPads holds / carries it landscape 99% of the time.  It would make more sense to have that home bar closest to a thumb that’s available to swipe it.  Not shipping the 3.5mm dongle seems odd, unless they intend to pack in cheap AirPods (non-wireless charging version). Wouldn’t that be mind blowing?
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 83
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    2019 it is..

I would prefer to wait for LPDDR5 RAM, 5GWPA3 support etc.
    With iPhone X design, the price would be iPhone X too. It's seldom 'm buying an iPad again and again.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 9 of 83
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad.  A notch is just not necessary, especially since you grab the device with your entire hands in a very different way than you do with an iPhone.

There once was a time when Apple knew better than I did about design.  There was time when they knew better what I wanted than I did, and when I saw an Apple product announcement I was filled with joy and excitement.  That joy has not entirely vanished but in recent years I am more annoyed than happy with what Apple kicks out.  It's either Johnny Ive minimalism taken to an extreme (notches, butterfly keyboards, missing SD card slots, etc.), or perhaps it's Johnny Ive apathy.  Maybe it is the lack of fanny-kicking by Steve Jobs.  Or maybe it is all of the above.  But as long as we keep buying their stuff and worshiping all of Apple's design decisions with criticism or question, there is no incentive for them to change course and design something better.  If Apple continues down this path, I shutter to think what kind of designs we'll have 10 years hence.
    smalmfreethinkingbaconstangelijahgdoozydozenkirkgrayAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 83
    The dimensions are weird, aren't they? If we remove the home button, it seems like the iPad would shave off more than just 3mm, no? So maybe the notch for the FaceID cameras will take up more bezel room? Also, why is it slightly wider than the older iPad? Another set of FaceID cameras for landscape mode?
  • Reply 11 of 83
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Wow, that’s a particularly large reduction in size for the 12.9” model...great! That’s the one I’m interested in. Have been putting off getting an iPad for a couple of years now, but the features of this year’s redesign is what I’ve been waiting for. One caveat though, no iPhone X like notch! It’s completely unnecessary on larger devices like iPads.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 12 of 83
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    jdw said:
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad.  A notch is just not necessary, especially since you grab the device with your entire hands in a very different way than you do with an iPhone.

There once was a time when Apple knew better than I did about design.  There was time when they knew better what I wanted than I did, and when I saw an Apple product announcement I was filled with joy and excitement.  That joy has not entirely vanished but in recent years I am more annoyed than happy with what Apple kicks out.  It's either Johnny Ive minimalism taken to an extreme (notches, butterfly keyboards, missing SD card slots, etc.), or perhaps it's Johnny Ive apathy.  Maybe it is the lack of fanny-kicking by Steve Jobs.  Or maybe it is all of the above.  But as long as we keep buying their stuff and worshiping all of Apple's design decisions with criticism or question, there is no incentive for them to change course and design something better.  If Apple continues down this path, I shutter to think what kind of designs we'll have 10 years hence.
    I am betting there will be a notch on iPad. And a notch will become the norm for many devices, not just Apple. Rumors of new Android phones are showing notches as well. 

• Reply 13 of 83
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I don't see how FaceID cannot be done with the landscape orientation. If it senses that it's in landscape, the sensors simply realign and detect your face. 
    caladaniandoozydozenmike1
  • Reply 14 of 83
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    I don’t like the idea on not having a headphone jack. I think of it as a line output. Not a headphone out. There are too many audio/MIDI applications where the Lightning port is needed for MIDI input and it would not be able to simultaneously serve as a line out.
    baconstangelijahgnetmage
  • Reply 15 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

jdw said:

I literally stopped buying Macs from Apple due to the nonsense you described above.  Im actually waiting on the new iPad but if they delete the headphone jack imay reconsider.  

The stupid moves like the headphone jack likely have little to do with Ive.   When Apple puts a custom port in a machine it is there for lock in.   Vendors dont have to sign up to use the analog jack, lighting though is controlled by Apple and thus you have to be in Apples good graces too use it.    Lighting gives Apple the opportunity to screwcover both the consummer and the third party supplier.  

Id like to see Apple switch back to a standard USB port of some variant.  USB-C would be the smart choice.     But even here you have issues trying to charge while the head phones are on.   I pad really needs tdc
    jdwbaconstangelijahg
  • Reply 16 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Frankly I am amazed anything mobile from Apple still has a headphone jack in it.
    caladanianJWSClamboaudi4
  • Reply 17 of 83
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    They should just replace the Lightning port with USB-C which would allow audio, 4K video, MIDI, pHigh-speed ower, etc all from one port. That would be “pro”.
    caladanian
  • Reply 18 of 83
    simbalion said:
     Another set of FaceID cameras for landscape mode?
    I would love to believe this to be possible... but Apple would never double up on costly components just to fulfill the same job..
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 83
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Dropping the conventional headphone jack makes sense to bring the iPad into alignment with the iPhone. The question of whether to pack your dongle or not to pack your dongle to accommodate conventional hookups should apply to all of your iDevices. Consistency is king. Macs should logically be next.

I'm not in love with the notch, but whether you love it or hate it, it has become somewhat of a signature and visual clue to signal that you are driving one of Apple's latest and greatest iDevices. It's almost like the distinctive grill on a BMW, which is why the droidclones are copying it and dressing up their phones in similar looking clothing. Yeah ... pathetic, but what else is new. I'm more concerned about the lack of bezel and fingerprints. However, rumors are that Gorilla Glass 6 may be more fingerprint and smudge resistant, so everything may work out just fine. 

I too would like to see a new iPad mini but I realize it is highly unlikely. If you slim down the bezels on the Mini it starts looking a lot like one of the jumbo sized iPhones. But it would still be bigger than the biggest iPhone. The beauty of such a device would be one-handed operation of a real iPad device, something that some folks like customer service, on the floor sales people, field service techs, rental car return workers, mobile checkout terminals, etc., would find very handy. Being too large for regular pockets but still a very lightweight one-handed device would be awesome but it may exist in a niche of awesomeness that doesn't warrant the kind of investment Apple is willing to make. They like canyon-sized niches that can be filled with lots of money.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 83
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I call BS on this rumor, but, IF Face ID in the 12.9 iPad is portrait only then I won’t be upgrading my iPad as 95% of the time I’m using it in landscape orientation.
    macseekerAlex1N