New rumor claims 2018 iPad Pros will be smaller, drop headphone jacks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    netrox said:
    jdw said:
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad.  A notch is just not necessary, especially since you grab the device with your entire hands in a very different way than you do with an iPhone.

There once was a time when Apple knew better than I did about design.  There was time when they knew better what I wanted than I did, and when I saw an Apple product announcement I was filled with joy and excitement.  That joy has not entirely vanished but in recent years I am more annoyed than happy with what Apple kicks out.  It's either Johnny Ive minimalism taken to an extreme (notches, butterfly keyboards, missing SD card slots, etc.), or perhaps it's Johnny Ive apathy.  Maybe it is the lack of fanny-kicking by Steve Jobs.  Or maybe it is all of the above.  But as long as we keep buying their stuff and worshiping all of Apple's design decisions with criticism or question, there is no incentive for them to change course and design something better.  If Apple continues down this path, I shutter to think what kind of designs we'll have 10 years hence.
    I am betting there will be a notch on iPad. And a notch will become the norm for many devices, not just Apple. Rumors of new Android phones are showing notches as well. 

Why would an iPad need a notch? They could still fit Face ID components in a smaller bezel. The iPad doesn’t need to have an edge to edge screen.
    canukstormbaconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 83
    dewme said:
    Dropping the conventional headphone jack makes sense to bring the iPad into alignment with the iPhone. The question of whether to pack your dongle or not to pack your dongle to accommodate conventional hookups should apply to all of your iDevices. Consistency is king. Macs should logically be next.
    I thought they dropped it from the iPhone for space reasons and to make the device more waterproof. iPad has plenty of space and isn’t likely being used around water so removing it makes no sense. I have some decent JBL wireless earbuds but when I use them while watching video on YouTube for example the audio and video are never synced up. Not a great experience.
    baconstangelijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 83

jdw said:
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad.  A notch is just not necessary, especially since you grab the device with your entire hands in a very different way than you do with an iPhone.

There once was a time when Apple knew better than I did about design.  There was time when they knew better what I wanted than I did, and when I saw an Apple product announcement I was filled with joy and excitement.  That joy has not entirely vanished but in recent years I am more annoyed than happy with what Apple kicks out.  It's either Johnny Ive minimalism taken to an extreme (notches, butterfly keyboards, missing SD card slots, etc.), or perhaps it's Johnny Ive apathy.  Maybe it is the lack of fanny-kicking by Steve Jobs.  Or maybe it is all of the above.  But as long as we keep buying their stuff and worshiping all of Apple's design decisions with criticism or question, there is no incentive for them to change course and design something better.  If Apple continues down this path, I shutter to think what kind of designs we'll have 10 years hence.
    There is nothing minimalist about the notch. It’s there because it has to be, because Apple didn’t want to create a fake bezel on the bottom just so they wouldn’t need a notch. Seems to me those most bothered by the notch don’t own an X. I do and never even notice the notch.
    StrangeDaysJWSCbb-15Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    dewme said:
    Dropping the conventional headphone jack makes sense to bring the iPad into alignment with the iPhone. The question of whether to pack your dongle or not to pack your dongle to accommodate conventional hookups should apply to all of your iDevices. Consistency is king. Macs should logically be next.

I'm not in love with the notch, but whether you love it or hate it, it has become somewhat of a signature and visual clue to signal that you are driving one of Apple's latest and greatest iDevices. It's almost like the distinctive grill on a BMW, which is why the droidclones are copying it and dressing up their phones in similar looking clothing. Yeah ... pathetic, but what else is new. I'm more concerned about the lack of bezel and fingerprints. However, rumors are that Gorilla Glass 6 may be more fingerprint and smudge resistant, so everything may work out just fine. 

I too would like to see a new iPad mini but I realize it is highly unlikely. If you slim down the bezels on the Mini it starts looking a lot like one of the jumbo sized iPhones. But it would still be bigger than the biggest iPhone. The beauty of such a device would be one-handed operation of a real iPad device, something that some folks like customer service, on the floor sales people, field service techs, rental car return workers, mobile checkout terminals, etc., would find very handy. Being too large for regular pockets but still a very lightweight one-handed device would be awesome but it may exist in a niche of awesomeness that doesn't warrant the kind of investment Apple is willing to make. They like canyon-sized niches that can be filled with lots of money.
    Macs need a line out of some kind (if not headphone sockets per se)  for those using the likes of Logic Pro X.  Wifi and Bluetooth connections have lag that's not noticeable for most uses if at all but makes using in studio situations impossible so far.  I say so far as I hope one day the lag is gone on wireless monitoring.
    baconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 83
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member

jdw said:
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad...
    There is nothing minimalist about the notch. It’s there because it has to be, because Apple didn’t want to create a fake bezel on the bottom just so they wouldn’t need a notch. 
    I disagree.  The notch exists BECAUSE of "minimalism" in Apple's design labs.  Minimalism leads Apple to minimize the bezel thickness to such an extent that they cannot fit the cameras inside the bezel anymore.  It's not a matter of a "fake bezel."  A fake bezel would be a digitally created one on the screen.  But a real bezel is the black surround going around all sides of the display.  Again, there's no reason to make that black REAL bezel so slim that the cameras cannot fit inside it when we are talking about an iPad.  Like I said before, you hold an iPad differently than an iPhone, so thicker bezels are actually not a big deal.  And with thicker bezels it can actually look better too because you can hide the cameras within the bezel.

The only way to full address this problem is by putting cameras inside the display, but we lack the tech to do that at this time.
    mike54elijahgnetroxnetmagewilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 83
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Makes no sense to get rid of headphone jack. Unlike for phones, there is plenty of room in this form factor. Further, iPads are ubiquitous as POS devices — Apple needs to maintain and enhance connectivity of these devices. 
    mike54baconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 83
    jkichline said:
    They should just replace the Lightning port with USB-C which would allow audio, 4K video, MIDI, pHigh-speed ower, etc all from one port. That would be “pro”.
    Um... Lightning has offered this since it started with the iPhone 5... 

I HATE USB-C on my MacBook. It's a pain in the ass compared to Lightning. 
    JWSCbb-15netmageAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Personally I would love to see the Dropping of the Lightning connector for a USB-C port or even a Thunderbolt 3 connection.. 
    with the same 80% charge in 30 minutes like other manufactures. And then dropping the lightning connector from everything else
    so its USB-C across every device now. Its more robust , Better Charging, And faster transfers.. Lightning connector does not refer
    to speed in transfer thats for sure.. Unless someone has done a side by side USB 2 - Lighting transfer against a USB C lightning transfer
    to see if there is really a difference in speed between the 2 and would it be only inherent because of the end connector ..
  • Reply 29 of 83
    No headphone jack, cool. That's one more Apple product off my bi-annual shopping list, saving money just keeps getting easier. :)
    mike54baconstangwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 30 of 83
    Vertical only smart keyboards? Face ID not working in landscape mode? No way. LOL. This rumor has to be bogus. That makes absolutely no sense. The ipad is suppose to be a laptop replacement for most people. Not an iphone replacement! Typing & working in landscape mode mimics a laptop. That’s how i use my ipad 99% of the time. I don’t want to have to turn my ipad to portrait mode everytime i wanted to use it or unlock it. That’s ridiculous. And how the heck is a smart keyboard suppose to hold up an ipad in portrait mode?? Calm down people. This can’t be true.

Apple removing the headphone jack on the ipad is something i could live with tho. I am tired of constantly having to buy new headphones because of faulty wires. I am ready to embrace bluetooth headphones on all my iOS devices. However, i hope Apple gives the new ipad pros the same waterproofing they give the iphones. I travel with my ipad a lot and use it outdoors all the time. A waterproofed ipad would be a great feature for me.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 31 of 83
    jdmac29jdmac29 Posts: 42member
    I purchased the 10.5 pro a few months back. I use landscape a lot and I can’t imagine having a new model and having to change it to horizontal just to unlock the device. I have the iPhone 10 but that is not that big of a deal flipping it around to unlock it but a large iPad no way. 

netmage
  • Reply 32 of 83
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Can an iPad Pro be used as a drawing slate like the Wacom Cintiq, linked to a Mac and mirroring on its screen?
  • Reply 33 of 83
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    jdmac29 said:
    I purchased the 10.5 pro a few months back. I use landscape a lot and I can’t imagine having a new model and having to change it to horizontal just to unlock the device. I have the iPhone 10 but that is not that big of a deal flipping it around to unlock it but a large iPad no way. 
    Similar experience with my 10.5 too. Love it as a my personal computer. The only time I use it in portrait is when reading a comic book, otherwise, I use it in landscape, flat on a table, with the software keyboard. Actually, I think Apple should have a fatter aspect ratio, like 5:4, as the current 4:3 feels a little too tall in portrait.

Do like the 11” rumor too. Not big enough to add another full spaced key in the virtual keyboard though. 11.3” would do it though. Man, I have a lot of thoughts on the iPad software keyboard design.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    robin huber said:
    Can an iPad Pro be used as a drawing slate like the Wacom Cintiq, linked to a Mac and mirroring on its screen?

AstroPad
    Duet Pro
    AirDisplay

Lots and lots of apps to do this. There are people who travel with a MBP and iPad, and use the iPad as an external display for the MBP.  Lots of people use iPads as a connected drawing tablet to their Mac.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 35 of 83
    jdw said:

jdw said:
    That notch is quite unsightly on an iPhone X, but on an iPad it's just unthinkably unnecessary.  The quest to shrink bezels to nothingness is driving this insanity, and it is NOT "insanely great" either.  Bezels should be as thick as that notch so there is no notch at all on an iPad...
    There is nothing minimalist about the notch. It’s there because it has to be, because Apple didn’t want to create a fake bezel on the bottom just so they wouldn’t need a notch. 
    I disagree.  The notch exists BECAUSE of "minimalism" in Apple's design labs.  Minimalism leads Apple to minimize the bezel thickness to such an extent that they cannot fit the cameras inside the bezel anymore.  It's not a matter of a "fake bezel."  A fake bezel would be a digitally created one on the screen.  But a real bezel is the black surround going around all sides of the display.  Again, there's no reason to make that black REAL bezel so slim that the cameras cannot fit inside it when we are talking about an iPad.  Like I said before, you hold an iPad differently than an iPhone, so thicker bezels are actually not a big deal.  And with thicker bezels it can actually look better too because you can hide the cameras within the bezel.

The only way to full address this problem is by putting cameras inside the display, but we lack the tech to do that at this time.
    Oh please. Every tech site under the sun was complaining about bezels. Any phone that had larger bezels was panned for it. And yes, Apple would have had to create a fake bottom bezel just to support a top bezel for the cameras. Apple would never release something asymmetrical.
    StrangeDaysbb-15lamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 36 of 83
    I HATE USB-C on my MacBook. It's a pain in the ass compared to Lightning. 
    How so?
  • Reply 37 of 83
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    jdw said:

I do agree, but I still feel there is a very large gap between Apple products and the rest, further enlarged by the compelling software and the whole connectivity between all devices. Well, at least we will have 10 more years...
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 38 of 83
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Idiocy in my view to notch the iPad, which is a preferred device to do reading or viewing. I take 1000s of screen shots on my iPad Pro winnowing content from web, magazines, etc and marking them up. Even though mine is a 12.9 inch model, every bit of that screen rectangle is precious real estate. (Yes, I quickly got use to the notch on my iPhone X, but it makes more sense there for frequent quicker access) Do people expect Apple to notch laptops and the iMac too, as part of its signature move? Come on.
    baconstangelijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 39 of 83
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    jdw said:

Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, it’s clear you don’t have an X or really used one for an extended time because if you did you’d know that 1) the notch fades away into nothingness, and 2) having much fuller screen surface coverage is awesome. 
    elijahgpscooter63Rayz2016netmagewilliamlondonlamboaudi4Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Folio said:
    Idiocy in my view to notch the iPad, which is a preferred device to do reading or viewing. I take 1000s of screen shots on my iPad Pro winnowing content from web, magazines, etc and marking them up. Even though mine is a 12.9 inch model, every bit of that screen rectangle is precious real estate. (Yes, I quickly got use to the notch on my iPhone X, but it makes more sense there for frequent quicker access) Do people expect Apple to notch laptops and the iMac too, as part of its signature move? Come on.
    Totally agree about the possible notch on an ipad. It would not only be Pointless, it’d be a really bad design choice. On the bezel-less iphone X i can see how aesthetically it’s necessary due to space constraints, but there are no space constraints on an ipad. Apple can easily incorporate all the cameras & the face ID into a very thin bezel that goes all the way around the entire ipad. A much better aesthetic choice in my opinion. But who knows what Apple plans to do. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.
    williamlondon