Autodesk dropping support for Alias and VRED in macOS Mojave over OpenGL deprecation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    macxpress said:
    elijahg said:
    Oh great, as predicted Apple's abandonment of OpenGL is causing developers to drop macOS support even before Mojave is out. Maybe a few more of these announcements will cause them to change course, though Apple's not really known for listening to its customers on things like this. But of course, this is good for Apple customers and Apple knows best..! 
    Autodesk has always be lazy to support the Mac. They don't bother to keep it current even when they do support the Mac. Everyone is dropping OpenGL and it's subpar performance. Eventually they'll have no choice but to update their outdated software. They've never really been relevant to the Mac, so I'm not sure it matters all that much.

It's also important to remember that Windows has Direct X. Apple cannot produce the same or better performance with a generic API for their own silicon, Metal + A Series chips will give them an advantage that no one else has in the market. Give it time.
    Seems more like the Mac is irrelevant to the industry they serve.
    Then why did they get into the Mac platform in the first place?
    I don’t use Autodesk software so I’m not familiar with it but the EM simulation software I use is usually cross platform: Windows, Linux and Mac. There is a layer of abstraction between the application and the hardware it is running on. So the software isn’t written specifically to run on a Mac. It relies on that middle layer to work.
    That’s the kind of software that Apple does not want on their platform. If they can’t differentiate, the platform will become commodity and will join the race to the bottom.

By doubling down and focusing on their own graphics API, Apple will be Apple to provide differentiated software experiences. Those that don’t come along will be fine, for a while...
  • Reply 22 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Time for Apple to buy Autodesk... 

/s
    Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 71
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    METAL has a bigger purpose. Apple must have some serious AR proof of concepts in their labs. 

It is apparent from Apple’s recent quality slips that they have their best engineers working on something other than the current product line.

Mass transportation and AR are Apple’s focal points. Apple AR glasses could be game changers.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 24 of 71
    borpsborps Posts: 28member
    I really think this announcement from Autodesk it entirely dishonest. They've decided to discontinue macOS support and now they want to make it look as if it was Apple's fault, which is nonsense.

macOS Mojave will ship with OpenGL, just the same outdated 5-year-old version that we've been using on High Sierra. So nothing will change for Autodesk's apps. Deprecate means "we'll phase this out, try to port your apps to newer technology in the future". So them saying it'll stop working simply means "we can't bother to update our apps for macOS Mojave, and we don't want to look bad for it, so we're just making shit up to blame it all on Apple". OpenGL based apps and games will still run on macOS for years to come. They'll just be hopelessly outperformed by any competitor who has the brains to optimise their apps for Metal.
    StrangeDaysdysamoriapscooter63Alex1N
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    elijahg said:
    Oh great, as predicted Apple's abandonment of OpenGL is causing developers to drop macOS support even before Mojave is out. Maybe a few more of these announcements will cause them to change course, though Apple's not really known for listening to its customers on things like this. But of course, this is good for Apple customers and Apple knows best..! 
    Autodesk has always be lazy to support the Mac. They don't bother to keep it current even when they do support the Mac. Everyone is dropping OpenGL and it's subpar performance. Eventually they'll have no choice but to update their outdated software. They've never really been relevant to the Mac, so I'm not sure it matters all that much.

It's also important to remember that Windows has Direct X. Apple cannot produce the same or better performance with a generic API for their own silicon, Metal + A Series chips will give them an advantage that no one else has in the market. Give it time.
    Then why did they get into the Mac platform in the first place?
    I don’t use Autodesk software so I’m not familiar with it but the EM simulation software I use is usually cross platform: Windows, Linux and Mac. There is a layer of abstraction between the application and the hardware it is running on. So the software isn’t written specifically to run on a Mac. It relies on that middle layer to work.
    This is the worst possible way to write software for any platform. It is bloated, slow and can't support any advantageous features of the target platform. All you get is a lowest-common-denominator implementation designed to keep costs down rather than serve the customer. If the software is written specifically for the Mac then Apple's probably not going to show a lot of interest in it.

Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 71

elijahg said:
    The problem is that Metal isn’t being given the credit it’s due. The people here bemoaning the dropping of OpenGL aren’t giving Metal a chance because they seem to have a prejudice against the fact that it started on iOS but they’re dumb because they’ve not actually looked at how awesome Metal actually is on iOS.
    So how do you know it's any use for scientific and engineering work? Apple has repeatedly shown off Metal's impressive use in games, but hasn't once mentioned anything about its use for getting work done. Some people have to do actual work, y'know, and would rather use a Mac to do it.

Now macOS has Metal it means that a high powered games can easily be ported to the Mac which will show Metal’s true power on greater specced machines and not just mobile devices.
    "High powered games" ported from iOS to Mac? Haha, ok. What about the actual "high powered" games from Windows, that require a beefy desktop GPU rather than a tiny mobile one? You really think developers are going to say "oh wow, Apple has released Metal for Mac, we'll spend 20% of our time releasing a game for the 0.1% of gamers that are on Macs"?
    The problem is that programmers are being lazy and not even writing games for the Mac properly anyway so their opinion is about as worthless as a festering ball of dog snot. Start porting games directly for Metal instead of wrapping DirectX games for OpenGL and then we’ll take you seriously.
    You can write code can you? You know how much effort is required to rewrite a game engine for a different API? There's a country mile difference between "programmers are being lazy" and the actual reason, marketshare of the Mac. It's not worth their time, be they working for a company, indie or open source. Plus you'd rather have no software vs software that's not designed specifically for the Mac? You'd best ditch macOS then, because most of it wasn't designed for the Mac. Oh and stop assuming it's all about games, OpenGL is used in a lot more than just games, whereas Metal isn't, and there's no indication it will be suitable for anything but.

mcdave said:
    elijahg said:
    Stow the ‘oppressed 12-year old’ act nobody’s fooled.  Cheap tricks to trigger an imposition with Ballmer-esque ‘my way or the highway’ babble doesn’t wash with Apple users.  Apple decides what it’s products do, we decide if we buy them.

Perhaps the headline should read; “Company that can’t be bothered to update it’s software retroactively blames Apple.”

I was hoping Autodesk would come to the Metal-party mainly on iPad but, like Adobe, I guess they’ll just be an also-ran as any developer who puts self-interest before customer experience deserves to be.
    Yep and look what happened to Microsoft under Ballmer. Now Satya is embracing open source and MS has begun to find its rudder once more. Apple is going in the opposite direction, becoming slowly more and more closed and incompatible, as they were in the mid 90's. And we all know how popular the mid-90's Apple was. "Cheap tricks to trigger an imposition" what? 

mcdave said:
    Apple decides what it’s products do, we decide if we buy them.
    Yep and Apple of late seems to doing it's damnedest to make computers with so many compromises people aren't happy with them, buying them begrudgingly because it's the only option with MacOS.

Also preeeeetty sure Autodesk isn't an also-ran. Their software is used in a vast number of industries. The seat you're sat on was probably designed with Autodesk software. Apple likely uses it to model their Macs. So no, they're not becoming irrelevant anytime soon no matter how far you bury your head in the Apple-shaped sand,
    "Apple-shaped sand"?

Is that like a sandcastle shaped like an apple?

edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 71
    slurpy said:
    elijahg said:
    Apple has signaled a long time ago that they will be dropping support for OpenGL. This is on the lazy as fuck developers who don't care enough to update their products, not on Apple. Apple has dropped hundreds of outdated technologies over the years, software and hardware, and ultimately it has made their products better, as well as leading to better experiences for everyone. And is Apple "listened to customers" we'd still have serial ports and optical drives, so no, Apple doesn't need to "listen" when it comes to shit like this, if they did nothing would ever move forward. It has been short term pain for the sake of longer term gain every SINGLE time. 

That sums it up very nicely, actually. If Autodesk doesn't think that the Mac is worth the effort, then I'd rather them leave and make room for sharper, nimbler outfit, which would have less of a chance if Autodesk hung around, churning out the same old boil-in-the-bag Windows ports which their customers hang on to. I'd rather their customers move to Windows, get a better experience, and let the new guys see what they can do with Metal on the Mac. This seems to be working very well for Serif, who are starting to make inroads with their Mac/iOS products. You will always get a nubbly core of users who cannot adapt to change, but I don't see why they should hold back the platform for more adaptable users who seek to improve the way they work.

Apple should start a new website and gather the best complaints from the eternally inflexible:

Waaah! You've removed this!
    Waaah! You've removed that!
    Waaah! It's too expensive!
    Waaah! It's too thin!
    Waah! You've deprecated an API that hasn't seen any real improvements in a decade!
    Waah! Why aren't you doing the same thing as Dell?
    Waah! Why can't I change the processor whenever I want?

Well, if you don't like it

THENFCKOFF.COM
    edited July 2018 tmayStrangeDayspscooter63Alex1N
  • Reply 28 of 71
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Autodesk always does what is easiest for them and enables the maximum licensing fees from locked-in customers.

I have run Autocad for 30!years, this has always been the case.

Since a majority of their market is now Windows (except some architects and product designers) expect them to do the minimum to support MacOS.

Complaining is futile. Accept what they offer or go elsewhere.
    StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 29 of 71
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    But Apple isn't dropping support per se. It's still there. I imagine it's simply the fact that they don't have enough mac customers using it? Or they can't find programmers capable of doing the work?
    It is but there's no point in developing for a deprecated API, Apple can and will ditch it at the drop of a hat, rendering anything OpenGL-based useless.

elijahg said:

They aways have I agree, but I fear it's just the start of a deluge of abandoned Mac software by others too - and especially open source projects. Open source isn't really dropping OpenGL because they don't have the manpower to convert to anything else. And even if they did drop OpenGL, they'll support Vulkan instead with is comparatively gigantic installed base. It's not worth them supporting Metal.

I've posted similar before, but to paraphrase: with iOS Apple has such a huge and potentially high-spending customer base. Apple has a huge amount of leverage and can do pretty much as it likes and as iOS is such a valuable market, it's absolutely worth developers switching to Metal. In contrast, Apple has almost no leverage in the desktop OS market. Macs have barely any market share so it's not worth most developers spending disproportionate time supporting it. So instead they just abandon it. Especially with open source software, Mac support is just a tickbox; no effort required.

Even if Apple were to guarantee to maintain OpenGL for a few MacOS versions it'd give developers time to switch to something else, and for MoltenVK (a Vulkan to Metal shim) to mature. It remains to be seen what the performance of Vulkan/Metal is like with scientific and engineering software, early evidence appears to be it's worse than OpenGL.

As per usual the apparent march of "progress" to the detriment of Apple's customers.
    What looks like detriment today will look like advantage tomorrow.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 30 of 71
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    roake said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    But Apple isn't dropping support per se. It's still there. I imagine it's simply the fact that they don't have enough mac customers using it? Or they can't find programmers capable of doing the work?
    It is but there's no point in developing for a deprecated API, Apple can and will ditch it at the drop of a hat, rendering anything OpenGL-based useless.

elijahg said:

They aways have I agree, but I fear it's just the start of a deluge of abandoned Mac software by others too - and especially open source projects. Open source isn't really dropping OpenGL because they don't have the manpower to convert to anything else. And even if they did drop OpenGL, they'll support Vulkan instead with is comparatively gigantic installed base. It's not worth them supporting Metal.

I've posted similar before, but to paraphrase: with iOS Apple has such a huge and potentially high-spending customer base. Apple has a huge amount of leverage and can do pretty much as it likes and as iOS is such a valuable market, it's absolutely worth developers switching to Metal. In contrast, Apple has almost no leverage in the desktop OS market. Macs have barely any market share so it's not worth most developers spending disproportionate time supporting it. So instead they just abandon it. Especially with open source software, Mac support is just a tickbox; no effort required.

Even if Apple were to guarantee to maintain OpenGL for a few MacOS versions it'd give developers time to switch to something else, and for MoltenVK (a Vulkan to Metal shim) to mature. It remains to be seen what the performance of Vulkan/Metal is like with scientific and engineering software, early evidence appears to be it's worse than OpenGL.

As per usual the apparent march of "progress" to the detriment of Apple's customers.
    Not if the end result is that whole classes of software disappears from the platform. 

In SJ's time the company was fighting tooth and nail to keep as many users as possible on, or attracted to the platform. Now management seem to be content with user migrating off to Windows or Linux. That or they delude themselves the iPad Pro can fill the gap. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 31 of 71
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This sounds like opportunism. As in, an easy way to excuse doing what they already wanted to do anyway: abandon this product on this platform and blame it on Apple.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 32 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:

elijahg said:

Wrong. The vast, vast majority of Apple customers don’t use either of these programs. Nor do you. 

“but I fear”

...yes, that’s the problem with your stance. It’s based on fear, not facts. 
    edited July 2018 kruegdudemacxpresspscooter63tmayAlex1N
  • Reply 33 of 71
    elijahg said:
    mcdave said:
    Apple decides what it’s products do, we decide if we buy them.
    Yep and Apple of late seems to doing it's damnedest to make computers with so many compromises people aren't happy with them, buying them begrudgingly because it's the only option with MacOS.

Also preeeeetty sure Autodesk isn't an also-ran. Their software is used in a vast number of industries. The seat you're sat on was probably designed with Autodesk software. Apple likely uses it to model their Macs. So no, they're not becoming irrelevant anytime soon no matter how far you bury your head in the Apple-shaped sand,
    So much ignorance, so little time. 

Macs are selling very well, they continue to grow even while the PC industry trends down. So much for your nonsense. People are happy with the compromises Apple, like all companies, make. You’ve just been spending too much time in the hater echo chamber. 

Try reading the article. This isn’t AutoCAD, it’s Alias and VRED, which are two niche programs. That the company is Autodesk isn’t the same as saying AutoCAD left Mac, no matter how mich you wish it did. 
    edited July 2018 macxpressAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 71
    ElCapitan said:
    roake said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:

elijahg said:

Not if the end result is that whole classes of software disappears from the platform. 

In SJ's time the company was fighting tooth and nail to keep as many users as possible on, or attracted to the platform. Now management seem to be content with user migrating off to Windows or Linux. That or they delude themselves the iPad Pro can fill the gap. do
    What whole classes of software are disappearing? Alias and VRED are niche products. And AutoCAD, which hasn’t left, has many competitors who are quite commented to Mac. So what are you talking about?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 35 of 71
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    xiao-zhi said:
    Complaining is futile. Accept what they offer or go elsewhere.
    But there is no elsewhere to go. If you want to be in show business you have to go to Hollywood. If you want to be in advertising, you need to go to New York. If you want to be in architecture/mechanical engineering you go with Autodesk in order to be compatible with your industry peers. Mac enthusiasts sometimes pay a price for their platform preference. You have to decide if you want to be a professional architect/engineer or do you want to be Mac exclusive, because the two are for the most part mutually exclusive. Sure you can struggle along as a Mac loner in a Windows centric industry but is that what you really want to do? Even with AutoCad 2018 for Mac it was missing several features and toolsets which were available only on Windows due to underlying Windows only technologies that have no equivalent in MacOS. Forget about Autodesk not supporting Mac in AutoCad 2019. They barely supported it in AutoCad 2018.
    edited July 2018 elijahgAlex1NcgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 71
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    mcdave said:
    elijahg said:
    Stow the ‘oppressed 12-year old’ act nobody’s fooled.  Cheap tricks to trigger an imposition with Ballmer-esque ‘my way or the highway’ babble doesn’t wash with Apple users.  Apple decides what it’s products do, we decide if we buy them.

Perhaps the headline should read; “Company that can’t be bothered to update it’s software retroactively blames Apple.”

I was hoping Autodesk would come to the Metal-party mainly on iPad but, like Adobe, I guess they’ll just be an also-ran as any developer who puts self-interest before customer experience deserves to be.
    Stow the ‘oppressed 12-year old’ act nobody’s fooled”. Fits like a glove, thanks! That ones going in my list for future use. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 37 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I agree with Volcan above.  Horses for courses I guess, if folks want to use Autodesk products get a PC, Windows 10 is a great OS as is macOS.  I have PCs and Macs and use whichever is best for the use I need.  The nice thing for me is I if GPU performance isn't required  I can run all my PCs from my Mac's screens using either Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac or sometimes from within VMWare Fusion again using Remote Desktop with the PC version that's built in.  The only caveat for my set up is all client machines have to run Windows 10 Pro as for some stupid reason MS chose to prevent RDT functionality on Home versions.  There is a hack but very iffy.
    edited July 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 38 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Didn’t used to be. Thanks, Apple.
    elijahg
  • Reply 39 of 71
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mcdave said:
    elijahg said:

Adobe an also-ran? They have the industry they serve by the balls! I don’t know, is Apple forcing developers to drop the Mac? Metal is all well and good, but keep good compatibility with older industry standards until it’s better established. Giving Mac users a larger choice. Just another nail in the coffin of MacOS. And when you’re able to run iOS apps on the Mac, what’s going to be the incentive then to develop new ones that make the most out of what a Mac can offer over the underpowered and under featured non-pro versions coming over from iOS.
    elijahg
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Let's face it, Apple does not give a ____ about professional users. It does not matter if Metal is the greatest thing in the world if there is no professional software development company that uses it. If Apple were serious about Metal, they would have released it on Windows and Linux. If Apple were serious about professional users, they would have supported the latest versions of OpenGL, OpenCl and Vulkan. Apple is only serious about selling beautiful but obsolete computers to people who don't know the difference.
    elijahg