Logitech buys out mic & headphone maker Blue in $117M deal

Posted:
in General Discussion
Accessory maker Logitech this week announced the takeover of Blue, best known for its microphones that have become a staple of recording, particularly in the streaming and podcast industries.

Blue Yeti

The acquisition has a cash value of $117 million, Logitech said, noting that it will allow "additional synergies related to our existing gaming, PC webcam and audio categories." The company already owns several prominent audio brands, namely Astro Gaming, Jaybird, and Ultimate Ears.

Blue is promising that it will "keep creating cool stuff for professional musicians, gamers, podcasters, YouTubers, and streamers."

The outfit's Yeti and Snowball USB microphones are popular for enabling relatively high-quality recording at a reasonable price. Blue also sells XLR mics aimed strictly at professionals, the most expensive of which -- the Bottle -- costs $3,999.99. Others mics like the Raspberry can be used with iPhones and iPads.

Plans for the XLR gear are unknown in light of Logitech's focus on computers, consoles, and mobile devices. It has typically allowed its audio brands to stay on the same track, keeping their names, existing products, and separate websites.

Logitech's resources could make Blue products more ubiquitous, and carry over some technology to other lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    In the professional music creation world they are best known for their condensor mics ranging from $199 to $9999.
    chasm
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Personally I think the best mics are dynamic cardioids with large diaphragms, like the Heil Sound PR-40. Don’t mention condenser mics to me. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Aw, crap. Expect their mics will become shoddy junk now.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    lkrupp said:
    Personally I think the best mics are dynamic cardioids with large diaphragms, like the Heil Sound PR-40. Don’t mention condenser mics to me. 
    The best mic is the one that best suits the particular application. No single mic is the best choice for everything.
    pscooter63ronnchasmSpamSandwichurahara
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    In addition to a great range of USB mics ideal for podcasting, Blue also makes some terrific headphones. I hope Logitech will keep them as a separate division; if so, then Blue is essentially just adding Logitech's wider distribution network, and that would be a big plus for the existing team.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    lkrupp said:
    What a bizarre contention. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    A little off topic but I've been thinking Apple should acquire Propellerheads and add in all the Reason goodness to Logic Pro along with VST support.
    This would push them to market leader easily.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    claire1 said:
    A little off topic but I've been thinking Apple should acquire Propellerheads and add in all the Reason goodness to Logic Pro along with VST support.
    This would push them to market leader easily.
    The marriage would probably produce a great baby, but I dunno about it becoming market leader. About a year-and-a-half ago I was feeling like I didn't want to keep paying Avid USD$400 per year and started shopping around for a new DAW. The more I looked, the more resigned I became to paying for Pro Tools. All the others have their strengths, but none are as comprehensive and complete as PT. Especially for post. Most of the others haven't figured out that there's more to audio than beats and bands, or even that there are formats with more than two channels.