Hands on: Mophie's Powerstation Plus XL stands out from the battery pack with built-in Lig...

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2018
If you're a power-hungry iOS user who's all-in on Apple's mobile ecosystem, the new Mophie Powerstation Plus XL may very well prove itself to be a must-have accessory, as its integrated Lightning male plug and female recharging port make it a truly unique mobile battery for iPhone and iPad users.

The Powerstation Plus XL boasts an integrated cable with male Lightning connector at the end, ensuring you can charge an iPhone, iPad, AirPods, or anything else in Apple's ecosystem that recharges via Lightning, without the need to bring a cable with you.

When they're not in use, the cable and plug tuck neatly into the perimeter of the battery case, giving it a clean aesthetic and preventing damage when tossed in a bag.

We've seen portable batteries with integrated Lightning plugs before, but the Mophie Powerstation Plus XL goes above and beyond. For one, it actually recharges via a built-in Lightning port, eschewing the need for Micro USB frequently found on other batteries, including Mophie's own products.

In the past, bringing a Micro USB cable just for a portable battery was superfluous for any dedicated Apple user, as no products made by the company recharge via that connector. By switching to a female Lightning port, that's no longer a problem.

But with an integrated Lightning cable on the battery itself, you might want to ditch separate cables entirely -- and here again Mophie has you covered. The battery pack can be charged at up at 5W on the same Qi charging pads you already use for your iPhone X or iPhone 8 series.

The Powerstation Plus XL also includes a full-size USB port, which can be used for anything from a second Lightning cable, to an Apple Watch magnetic charger, to even -- yes -- a Micro USB cable, if you so desire.

Inside, the new Mophie product has a 10,000 mAh battery, which the company says can add 34 hours of uptime to the premium iPhone X, or 9 hours to a 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

The exterior of the accessory also has a fabric finish on the sides, while the edges are plastic. It has an on-off button, and four white lights to show the current charge level.

Priced at $99.95, it's on the pricey side for a portable battery. But the inclusion of both male and female Lightning plugs, as well as wireless charging, make this Apple MFi-certified battery truly one-of-a-kind on the current market.

AppleInsider was provided a Powerstation Plus XL from Mophie in Heather grey. It also comes in black, slate, and deep blue.

Where to buy

The Mophie Powerstation Plus XL with an Apple Lightning connector retails for $99.95. Although the Powerstation Plus XL is an Apple Store exclusive, it can also be purchased directly from Mophie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    There is no mention of size or a picture of the battery next to an iphone for comparison. For me personally if it's too big, bulky and heavy then it's not worth carrying around. Also at $99.95 for a 10,000 mAh battery even with the cable built in or wireless charging seems a bit steep when you can get a regular battery from Anker for 1/3 of the price.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wow, VERY pricey.

I use an Aukey 20,000mAh battery pack which has lightning IN & OUT and fast charging - it's only missing the QI charging but at a fifth of the price of this and double the battery size, it's not even an issue.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183K0GZC

• Reply 3 of 13
    So it could be charged by a Qi charger, can we use the same circuit to let the battery charge an iPhone X/8/8+ wirelessly? 
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    CocoaBob said:
    So it could be charged by a Qi charger, can we use the same circuit to let the battery charge an iPhone X/8/8+ wirelessly? 
    No. The Qi spec does not allow for one coil to provide both functions. Anything selling you that feature is violating the Qi spec.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Great charger but still hanging on to USB A.  To bad it doesn’t use USB C
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    adm1 said:
    wow, VERY pricey.

I use an Aukey 20,000mAh battery pack which has lightning IN & OUT and fast charging - it's only missing the QI charging but at a fifth of the price of this and double the battery size, it's not even an issue.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183K0GZC

At that price, I'm guessing it's not MFi certified.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    The price:capacity is way low for me. It drops even more if that cable isn't user replaceable. Built-in cables are nice, until they break. Most are not user replaceable, if replaceable at all.

Otherwise, it's a nice bit of kit.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 13
    In a review, I'd expect to learn if it's possible to do pass through charging, where as the power pack is plugged in or wirelessly charging, do usb devices plugged into the battery charge at the same time? My EasyACC battery pack does this and this is why I bought it. Please provide more in depth reviews.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    In a review, I'd expect to learn if it's possible to do pass through charging, where as the power pack is plugged in or wirelessly charging, do usb devices plugged into the battery charge at the same time? My EasyACC battery pack does this and this is why I bought it. Please provide more in depth reviews.
    The headline clearly says hands-on. I opened the box and took pics of the item. Nowhere does it claim to be a review.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    Will the lightning (female) port charge an  Pencil directly (in case you managed to loose the tiny male/female adaptor)?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    CocoaBob said:
    No. The Qi spec does not allow for one coil to provide both functions. Anything selling you that feature is violating the Qi spec.
    ah what!? I assumed the QI feature was to charge an iPhone X or 8, it's to charge the battery pack? seems a bit of a waste - a phone benefits from "wireless" charging in that you will be picking it up frequently, a battery pack when needing charged is typically left to charge to full so no real benefit over using a wire? bizarre.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nhughes said:
    The headline clearly says hands-on. I opened the box and took pics of the item. Nowhere does it claim to be a review.
    Oh come on.  Semantics.  Wouldn't it have been easier to just answer his question?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    henrybayhenrybay Posts: 144member
    I recently bought one of these Mophie Powerstation XLs for regular long distance travel between London and Sydney (I live in Australia). It is a fabulous device and  is capable of charging my iPhone multiple times. The soft fabric feel also makes it really comfortable to use too. Highly recommended.