iPhone X maintains position as most popular model, Apple says

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The iPhone X once again held onto its spot as the most popular iPhone model worldwide during the June quarter, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during a Tuesday results call, helping drive iPhone average selling price to new heights.

iPhone X

The executive didn't reveal precise numbers. The company did however ship 41.3 million iPhones in all, slightly more than the 41 million iPhones rolled out during the June 2017 quarter.

Cook has repeatedly claimed that the iPhone X has topped sales since its November 2017 launch. This is despite the device starting at $999, making it one of the most expensive smartphones ever, and substantially more costly than the iPhone 8 and even the 8 Plus. ASP hit $724 for the quarter, up from $606 during the year ago quarter.

Indeed Kantar Worldpanel ComTech recently claimed that the X was just the fourth-best selling device in the U.S. during the last quarter, outdone by the iPhone 8 series. The X did however cling to first place in China, and has done reasonably well in other markets.

Apple is expected to launch three successors to the X this fall. These include 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a 6.1-inch LCD device, all of which should have edge-to-edge displays and Face ID. The 6.1-inch hardware should be the cheapest at $600-700, but limited to a single-lens camera. The 5.8-inch phone may cost $800-900, while the 6.5-inch hardware could replace the X at the $999 price point.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    This year, if the cheaper iPhone comes to fruition, Apple exceed all of their records, for sure.

xamaxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Do analysts hate being proven wrong yet?
    lamboaudi4andrewj5790[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If iPhone X is popular enough than September announcement could be run away train. Though, key will be price especially 6.1" LCD iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    If Apple makes the  X Plus per rumor and price it at $999, no doubt it will be another blockbuster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    jungmark said:
    To be fair, they are right sometimes but usually by sheer luck. It’s also good for analysts to set realistic numbers. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jungmark said:
    To be honest, they don’t care one way or the other I would think.
    andrewj5790[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jungmark said:

You make the common mistake in believing that they've been proven wrong. Sure, they didn't get the numbers, or even the direction, of Apple's performance correct, but they know that Apple is on its way to a big fail. Just because it didn't happen this time, just means it's going to be worse when it does happen, sometime in the next 20 years.

Basically, in this kind of punditry, there's wrong, and there's anticipative of future developments.

edited July 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Whoa.. very surprised. Didn’t think anyone will buy it this close to the update. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Is it me? I found the 4 and 4s and 5c 'heavy.'

The 5, 5s and SE are super light! 

I find the iPhone X heavy. :)

Best.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    anome said:
    jungmark said:

You make the common mistake in believing that they've been proven wrong. Sure, they didn't get the numbers, or even the direction, of Apple's performance correct, but they know that Apple is on its way to a big fail. Just because it didn't happen this time, just means it's going to be worse when it does happen, sometime in the next 20 years.

Basically, in this kind of punditry, there's wrong, and there's anticipative of future developments.

This is about the dumbest post I’ve ever read on this site and I’ve been here since 2005. But then I read some of your other posts and found out I was wrong.
    edited July 2018 jakespeedRayz2016andrewj5790xamaxPickUrPoison
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Its true, as I can see the data similarly to Apple, that X outsells 8 and 8+, but combined 8 outsells X. It matters a little I guess. The good news is the higher price point 8+ outsells the 8 or the average iPhone sale price would be lower. The other good news is that over 40% of Apple users don't have either and are using 7 or older - which means upgrade cycle coming up of nearly 1/2 the iPhones sold in 2015/16/17 being replaced, plus a few Android devices too.
    edited July 2018 xamaxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    anome said:
    jungmark said:

Apple has sold some 1.4 billion iphones. Apple knows, but I'm guessing, in the next 5 years they sell at least another 1.4 billion iPhones. 20 years, I don't know and I know nobody else does either. But almost no analyst seems to grip the most simple math. For the foreseeable future Apple never doesn't sell 220-250 million iPhones per year. Today's math indicates that is 159.2b in iPhone sales each year for at least the next 5 years. Add subs rev of 50b year and some headphone and mac sales and you get to $300 billion without a new product line each year in the next 5.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    jungmark said:

This is about the dumbest post I’ve ever read on this site and I’ve been here since 2005. But then I read some of your other posts and found out I was wrong.

Maybe you should go through your own history, just to make sure. I'm sure there must be something as stupid there. Like misinterpreting an obviously sarcastic comment about financial pundits and their history of failure with regards Apple.

I mean I could have labelled it "JOKE HERE! LAUGH NOW!" but that seems a bit tacky.

muthuk_vanalingam1STnTENDERBITSwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    anome said:
    jungmark said:

Yeah, but when?

Unless you can say when in the next twenty years then that’s not analysis, it’s just wishful thinking. 

• Reply 15 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

matrix077 said:
    Whoa.. very surprised. Didn’t think anyone will buy it this close to the update. 
    99% of Apple customers do not read Apple blog sites. They buy a phone when they need it, not when forum dwellers tell them to. 

It’s the reason why the folk round here praying that Apple will crash and burn because they didn’t get a Mac with eight SCSI ports have been gnashing their teeth every quarter for the past six years. 

xamaxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    lkrupp said:
    anome said:
    jungmark said:

That actually looks like a post that has a "/s" missing. It seems really obvious.

Edit: Confirmed by the OP.

edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Deleted

edited August 2018
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Cook has repeatedly claimed that the iPhone X has topped sales since its November 2017 launch. This is despite the device starting at $999, making it one of the most expensive smartphones ever, and substantially more costly than the iPhone 8 and even the 8 Plus. ASP hit $724 for the quarter, up from $606 during the year ago quarter. 

Indeed Kantar Worldpanel ComTech recently claimed that the X was just the fourth-best selling device in the U.S. during the last quarter, outdone by the iPhone 8 series. The X did however cling to first place in China, and has done reasonably well in other markets.

I'm confused.  Is this article trying to imply that Cook stating the iPhone X was the most popular iPhone in the quarter means it was the best selling iPhone in the quarter?  If so, that's a gross misinterpretation of what both Cook and Maestri said.  Neither was talking about sales numbers when they made the "most popular" comments.  They were talking about customer satisfaction ratings.  Specifically, they were referencing the customer satisfaction survey done by 451 Research.

Here's Cook: "Phone had a very strong quarter. Revenue was up 20 percent year-over-year, and the active install base grew by double digits, driven by switchers, first-time smartphone buyers, and our existing customers. iPhone X was the most popular iPhone in the quarter once again, with a customer satisfaction score of 98 percent according to 451 Research." Nothing here about sales.

Here's Maestri: "
    The latest survey of U.S. consumers from 451 Research indicates that across all iPhone models, customer satisfaction was at 96 percent. Combining just the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X, it was even higher at 98 percent. Among business buyers who plan to purchase smartphones in the September quarter, 81 percent plan to purchase iPhones, up three points from the last survey."  Nope.  Nothing here about sales either.

Probably why Cook said most popular instead of best selling.  They don't mean the same thing.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    My price predicition for the iPhone XL will be $1149, updated iPhone X at $999, and iPhone 9 at $849. We’ll see next month if I’m right. 
  • Reply 20 of 24

I'm confused.  Is this article trying to imply that Cook stating the iPhone X was the most popular iPhone in the quarter means it was the best selling iPhone in the quarter?  If so, that's a gross misinterpretation of what both Cook and Maestri said.  Neither was talking about sales numbers when they made the "most popular" comments.  They were talking about customer satisfaction ratings.  Specifically, they were referencing the customer satisfaction survey done by 451 Research.

Here's Cook: "Phone had a very strong quarter. Revenue was up 20 percent year-over-year, and the active install base grew by double digits, driven by switchers, first-time smartphone buyers, and our existing customers. iPhone X was the most popular iPhone in the quarter once again, with a customer satisfaction score of 98 percent according to 451 Research." Nothing here about sales.

Here's Maestri: "The latest survey of U.S. consumers from 451 Research indicates that across all iPhone models, customer satisfaction was at 96 percent. Combining just the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X, it was even higher at 98 percent. Among business buyers who plan to purchase smartphones in the September quarter, 81 percent plan to purchase iPhones, up three points from the last survey."  Nope.  Nothing here about sales either.

Probably why Cook said most popular instead of best selling.  They don't mean the same thing.
    No. Most popular iPhone means it sold the most. ASP was $724, do the math. iPhone 8 Plus is only $799, and Apple sold millions of phones at $350, 450, 550, 700, whatever.

Try to model a weighted average that comes out at $724, without having the most popular model at $999-1149.  Can’t be done, the lower priced phones pull down the average drastically, and you can’t sell enough iPhone 8 to offset them. 

Popularity has nothing to do with customer satisfaction. 8/8 Plus/X all had 98% customer satisfaction rates. That means customers were satisfied with the purchase; thoughtbit goid value for the money; would buy again; would recommend to friends. On a scale of 1 to 9, how satisfied were you with your purchase, where 1 is not at all satisfied, and 9 is extremely satisfied. Anything 6 and up is considered satisfied. 

The SE has high customer sat, but it’s not a very popular phone. Apple only sells maybe 20 million a year. 
    watto_cobra