Huawei surpasses Apple as world's No. 2 smartphone vendor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Just like one poster said, this is just a bragging right. Who cares?
  • Reply 22 of 141
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Junk for a junk market. As usual, with stolen IP. 

Ugh. 
    Not to mention probably not a lot of profit even if they didn't need any R&D $.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 141
    LOL. Who cares about units shipped? Down that road lies ruin.
    How is shipped vs sold still a persistent thing?  I'm sure you're well aware that Apple's "sold" is the same thing as Huawei's shipped.  Apple has made that clear in their earnings reports.  They consider iPhones sold when they ship to the customer.  That customer is AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.  The only phones that are sold and counted as such are phones sold in Apple stores,  Apple online, and some education sales.  The majority of Apple's phone "sales" occur as shipped.  This is old news.  Not sure how you don't already know this.
    smalmmuthuk_vanalingamgatorguyanantksundaram
  • Reply 24 of 141
    MacPro said:

Ugh. 
    Not for nothing, they spent more on R&D than Apple did.  
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 25 of 141
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    In other news, another noob reporter mistook market share figures as having any relevance to Apple whatsoever. Due to the unnoted string of companies that were poised to ‘kill’ Apple based on such figures, cognitive infarction has been suspected. As part of an on-going series of investigative failures at AI, all staff are being tested for drinking problems, and for links to Microsoft. Daniel Eran and The Macalope were both immediately unavailable at the time of this posting. More news at 11!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 141
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Excerpt below is from recent global smartphone survey (49,000 responses conducted by BAML, updated 30JUL2018). I've not checked it out in detail yet, or compared with prior survey, but I gotta admit it surprises me that Huawei is so high:

iPhone user stickiness is better than the competition

69% of current iPhone owners noted they intend to buy an iPhone for their next upgrade, implying Apple stickiness remains dominant over key competitors including Samsung (53%), Huawei (53%), and Xiaomi (37%). 

• Reply 27 of 141
    dandandandan Posts: 1member
    You’re nuts i live in America every place i go to its 8 out of 10 phones apple where the hell are these other makers selling.  Its bs shipping or manufacture phones not selling
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 141
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    MacPro said:

Ugh. 
    Are you sure, and did you account for the fact that the majority of Huawei's business is still Telecom?

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2018/3/15/an-apple-rd-bonanza

Looks like both companies will spend about $14 B in 2018.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 141
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    How does IDC know?
  • Reply 30 of 141
    mcdave said:
    And units of what shipped?  Are Apple’s, Huawei’s & Samsung’s definition of ‘smartphones’ really the same? Where’s the ASP for the other devices?
    So a smartphone is defined by its ASP? Since when?
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 31 of 141
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    brakken said:
    In other news, another noob reporter mistook market share figures as having any relevance to Apple whatsoever. Due to the unnoted string of companies that were poised to ‘kill’ Apple based on such figures, cognitive infarction has been suspected. As part of an on-going series of investigative failures at AI, all staff are being tested for drinking problems, and for links to Microsoft. Daniel Eran and The Macalope were both immediately unavailable at the time of this posting. More news at 11!
    Apple doesn't care about market share. They would be content to sell just to 1% if they could increase their total profits.
    edited July 2018
  • Reply 32 of 141
    No mention in this article of actual revenue let alone profit. We all know Samsung outsells everyone else by sheer units shipped but its profitability on those sales compared to Apple is pitiful. Same goes for Huawei. I know which I'd prefer "bragging rights" to!
    Samsung’s operating profit this past quarter was $13.3 billion.
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/30/17633350/samsung-earnings-q2-2018-galaxy-s9-sales

Apple’s was $12.6 billion. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/pdfs/Q3FY18ConsolidatedFinancialStatements.pdf

Of course not all of Samsung’s profit comes from smartphones but then neither does Apple's.
    elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 141
    How is shipped vs sold still a persistent thing?  I'm sure you're well aware that Apple's "sold" is the same thing as Huawei's shipped.  Apple has made that clear in their earnings reports.  They consider iPhones sold when they ship to the customer.  That customer is AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.  The only phones that are sold and counted as such are phones sold in Apple stores,  Apple online, and some education sales.  The majority of Apple's phone "sales" occur as shipped.  This is old news.  Not sure how you don't already know this.
    If all these vendors are just stuffing the channel and have all these phones returned to them or written off wouldn’t that show up in their financials? Unless the suggesting is the mobile carriers and other retailers are responsible for writing off this inventory?  Same question though, wouldn’t that show up in their financials? And why would a mobile carrier or other 3rd party retailer order product they didn’t think they could sell? 
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 34 of 141
    If all these vendors are just stuffing the channel and have all these phones returned to them or written off wouldn’t that show up in their financials? Unless the suggesting is the mobile carriers and other retailers are responsible for writing off this inventory?  Same question though, wouldn’t that show up in their financials? And why would a mobile carrier or other 3rd party retailer order product they didn’t think they could sell? 
    I know what you're asking.  I'm just not sure why you're asking.  You're question about writing off inventory doesn't change the shipped vs sold argument.  In this instance shipped and sold mean the same thing.  

To answer your question directly:
    1.  From time to time, companies do write down channel inventory.  Apple did a write down in 2017 and did another in 2018.  Tim Cook spoke about it in last quarters earnings: "We reduced iPhone channel inventory by 1.8 million units, 600,000 units more than the March quarter reduction last year. We exited the March quarter within our target range of five to seven weeks of iPhone channel inventory."  2.  It does show up on their financials.  It just doesn't really get reported by fan sites.  3.  Some vendors are saddled with minimum purchase requirements.  I think Apple recently got into a stink with Japanese telecoms over those minimums.
  • Reply 35 of 141
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    lkrupp said:
    elijahg said:
    rob53 said:
    elijahg said:
    What's the ASP of Hwoowuh phones? Less than half the iPhone's no doubt. Last thing I'd want is a phone that's full of Chinese spyware. Possibly even worse than NSA spyware.

Cook claiming the smartphone market is "very healthy" is probably true, mainly due to people breaking their phones and getting new replacements, and phones getting old and slow, but the number upgrading for features has certainly reduced. That and the saturation of the market means little growth. I have a 6s and it's still fast and perfectly adequate for fairly heavy daily use. I have no real reason to upgrade.
    Glad you’re happy with an older phone but I upgraded to an 8 plus and love it, especially the 2x lens. 
    If the X hadn't been so outrageously priced, I probably would have got one, if anything just for the celebration of 10 years of iPhone! I'd upgraded about every 2 years since the original was released; I had the "2G", 3G, 4, 5s and 6s. I would definitely like to upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth it yet based on features vs cost. Maybe the 9? 11? will take my fancy!
    If the X is so outrageously priced then why is it Apple’s best selling product? Just admit it’s only your opinion, not fact in any way, shape, or form.
    I share that opinion, $1000 for a phone is crazy.  My 6s does everything I need besides stroking my ego (which the X offers).  

I did spend $1000 for an iPad that does offer value.  I use < 2GB of data on my 6s, and probably 30GB+ on my iPad (LTE)... to each his own.
    elijahg
  • Reply 36 of 141
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

Ugh. 
    Are you sure, and did you account for the fact that the majority of Huawei's business is still Telecom?

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2018/3/15/an-apple-rd-bonanza

Looks like both companies will spend about $14 B in 2018.
    Spent.  As in full year 2017.  You're quoting numbers that haven't been tallied yet.  Regardless of how much each company spends, the quote by MacPro is easily refuted.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 141
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No mention in this article of actual revenue let alone profit. We all know Samsung outsells everyone else by sheer units shipped but its profitability on those sales compared to Apple is pitiful. Same goes for Huawei. I know which I'd prefer "bragging rights" to!
    Samsung’s operating profit this past quarter was $13.3 billion.
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/30/17633350/samsung-earnings-q2-2018-galaxy-s9-sales

Apple’s was $12.6 billion. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/pdfs/Q3FY18ConsolidatedFinancialStatements.pdf

Of course not all of Samsung’s profit comes from smartphones but then neither does Apple's.
    Considering that Samsung actually manufactures parts for a lot of Apple kit, I would’ve thought they’d have made a lot more. 
  • Reply 38 of 141
    For Apple to sell more iPhones to China and India, all they need to do is incorporate dual SIM chips.
    Yes, it’s really that simple. I’ve traveled to Asia several times, and when I asked why didn’t you buy an iPhone instead, their answer was so they didn’t have to carry two phones.
    This is also a problem here in the US with corporate issued phones. You must carry your company phone and your personal.

With Apple trying to actually do away with the SIM card in the iPhones, dual SIMs is definitely not going to happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 141
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Huawei and Samsung can battle for top spot by battling to the bottom. Thankfully Apple refuses to get pulled into a race to the bottom.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 141
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    How does IDC know?
    It is the business of IDC.  They know how to get the figures.  They have multiple sources:
     - the IMEI numbers that have been activated in the last quarter (The IMEI is unique identifier per phone, that is used to make the relation between the phone and the SIM card)
     - they ask for the production figures of the phone manufacturers (some of them provide them, others don't)
     - the sold licenses of relevant patents.  Qualcomm has  a large portfolio of patents  and these licenses are only charged for shipped units
     - sales figures of retail shops
     - the numbers provided by telecom regulators

They combine these sources to get a consistent picture.  The published numbers have of course some error, but are generally quite good and they can be used to track market trends.    (The quality of the IDC prognosis for the future is a completely different matter). 

muthuk_vanalingamelijahg