Garageband - How can you fade in and fade out a single track, for ringtone?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2014
So garageband now makes it very easy to make ringtones, but they sound stupid, when I make them because they end so abruptly.

How could I take the single track and have the music accelerate up in volume at the start, and down towards the end, so that it doesn't just start and end?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibook911 View Post

So garageband now makes it very easy to make ringtones, but they sound stupid, when I make them because they end so abruptly.

How could I take the single track and have the music accelerate up in volume at the start, and down towards the end, so that it doesn't just start and end?

Thanks.

Maybe this will help...

The thing circled in red is what you click to get a volume adjustment. You can add new circles (keyframes) and adjust the volume based on their location. Sorry if you already knew this and there's some different trick to get them to work.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ^^^ got it right. wooo.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Ok, so how do you do this from the iphone version?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ipodgaragebanduser View Post

Ok, so how do you do this from the iphone version?

This thread is from 2007. Absolutely nothing about it is relevant anymore. Please don't necro threads.

Also, this cannot currently be done on the iOS version of GarageBand.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    @Tallest Skil

Actually your comment is irrelevant!. I have the newest OS version of Garage band and I was able to do this without any problem at all..

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mchapman87 View Post

@Tallest Skil

Actually your comment is irrelevant!. I have the newest OS version of Garage band and I was able to do this without any problem at all..

Indeed? That's a pleasant surprise! How do you access the volume graph on the iOS version of Garageband?
  • Reply 7 of 11

What if you are using a track (a song imported from iTunes or your computer)

• Reply 8 of 11

Yeah - I'd also love to know how to do this - it's not in Help and you appear to be the only person on the internet who knows...?

• Reply 9 of 11

I had to do this for a sound clip for my daughter and managed to do this with GarageBand 10.0.2 on my Mac (Mavericks).

I dropped the iTunes music file onto garageband (from Finder), clicked the Mix->Fade Out option in the menu.

This added a Master Track Item to the display. You can double click the volume line to create new points and drag the points up or down to increase or decrease the volume.

You can then export the result to to a new file.

Brilliant! 

• Reply 10 of 11
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

I'll bet he figured it out after six years...:err:

• Reply 11 of 11
    Hey Mystic, you don't have to be an asshole. The Mix-> Fade Out option doesn't show up on my GarageBand either.