Apple hits $1 trillion market cap, the first US company ever to hit milestone [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Maybe God knew what he was talking aboutšŸ¤”...When he warned us not to take a bite from the ā€˜Tree of Knowledge.ā€™ šŸ¤£
    dragan0405
  • Reply 42 of 146
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    danvm said:
    Apple is the first US company with $1T valuation, and second worldwide, behind PetroChina. 

Did PetroChina legitimately get to 1T? Is it even a publicly traded company?
    It happened on their first day of their IPO during a spike. It wasn't sustained (a blip), they certainly didn't close that day anywhere near $1T USD, and have been far from it ever since. That's why I don't count this spike as a milestone for Apple until it's sustained, which at least means closing the market with a $1T market cap.
    edited August 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 43 of 146
    danvm said:
    Apple is the first US company with $1T valuation, and second worldwide, behind PetroChina. 

Get serious here. Petrochina is/was a joke. The stock runup that it had which put it briefly at $1T was a silly little bubble for a commodity company in a nascent Chinese exchange that was having trouble pricing its stocks in its early days. It is at ~25% of that value now, which is closer to its true price.

The beauty is AAPL is still an undervalued company at this price. It will continue to grow from this level, (in that process, it surely will fall below that number as well, I.e., there will be volatility). It is the first legitimate trillion dollar company. Period. 
    Yes, let's get serious. If we don't count PetroChina's single day blip to $1T USD then why should we could Apple's? How about we save the party favors and rejoicing in the streets until the milestone can be sustained, not just a very brief, inter-day spike in the market?
  • Reply 44 of 146
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Soli said:
    danvm said:

It happened on their first day of their IPO during a spike. It was sustained for more than a moment, they certainly didn't close that day anywhere near $1T USD, and have been far from it ever since. That's why I don't count this spike as a milestone for Apple until it's sustained, which at least means closing the market with a $1T market cap.

PS: If not for buybacks Apple would've reached this a long time ago.
    You make the assumption that the share price would have gone to the necessary number to equal 1T without the buybacks; part of Appleā€™s value is the companyā€™s buybacks. 
    ronn
  • Reply 45 of 146
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Doomed! /s
    cornchippscooter63watto_cobradragan0405
  • Reply 46 of 146
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    danvm said:

Get serious here. Petrochina is/was a joke. The stock runup that it had which put it briefly at $1T was a silly little bubble for a commodity company in a nascent Chinese exchange that was having trouble pricing its stocks in its early days. It is at ~25% of that value now, which is closer to its true price.

The beauty is AAPL is still an undervalued company at this price. It will continue to grow from this level, (in that process, it surely will fall below that number as well, I.e., there will be volatility). It is the first legitimate trillion dollar company. Period. 
    Yes, let's get serious. If we don't count PetroChina's single day blip to $1T USD then why should we could Apple's? How about we save the party favors and rejoicing in the streets until the milestone can be sustained, not just a very brief, inter-day spike in the market?
    Well, $208.22 with a couple of hours to go. Looks like it may very well close above $1trillion.
    ronnwatto_cobradragan0405
  • Reply 47 of 146
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    maestro64 said:
    CNBC has the bears out today. Saying Apple is just a consumer electronics company and prices and margins always come down and will come down with Apple too. Also fretting over Apple being too dependent on iPhone and services growth all ties to iPhone. And complaining about all the cash the company has and not doing any large acquisitions with it. Now that the 1T milestone has been hit (even if it was intra-day only) the bears will be out in full force.

Their statement are true for any company this is not unique to Apple. But apple is the only company who has held its margins and grew ASP very few company can say this. Keep in mind the analysis had been completely wrong on apple for a long time. The media should be calling these people out and just keep asking why should anyone trust them since they have wrong along. But the media is afraid to challenge anyone unless it is the most hated leader of the free world.

Now that Apple cross the $1T mark in the sand, it will have less resistance to keep go up more.

Everyone please note, Apple at $1T did it with a PE of 18, not the 146 of Amazon following right behind. Think what will happen if Amazon has one misstep they will come crashing back really fast. 

I will cautions everyone on this $1T number, Apple removed a large number of shares from the market which was revealed Tueday and most financial sites still show the old outstanding shares. It going to take a few days for these website to catch up and the Market cap are automatically calculated based on the current share price and the outstanding shares which is not automatically loaded.

Someone on the earnings call was really pushing Cook on this point...basically arguing as goes the iPhone so goes services. Wall Street just canā€™t stop worrying about the iPhone.  But Jason Snell had some interesting thoughts in his write up about the quarter. He seemed a bit depressed about Cook spending so much time on services. His thought was if Apple starts moving away from being a product company Apple will lose the essence or what it is or what made it great. I must admit Iā€™m much more interested in new hardware than the new TV shows theyā€™re working on. IF Apple were to slowly become a media company selling subscriptions across various platforms and there was less focus on new products Iā€™d probably be less interested in the company. Just like some Microsoft fans have less interest in the company as Nadella re-focuses it on cloud/enterprise. My iPhone 10 is sexy, something to lust after. An Apple Music subscription is not.
    IMO, Apple services are very different from MS cloud services, and more similar to XBox services.  Xbox and Apple services services are very dependent on the device, XBox or iPhone.  If iPhone sales goes down, same happen to the services.  I'm sure Apple focus in the iPhone will be #1 for many years to keep the sales of services going up.  At the same time, I don't think Apple have the same interest in other devices, as Macs.
    edited August 2018 dragan0405
  • Reply 48 of 146
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    lkrupp said:
    Meanwhile the haters, doubters, negative types are losing their minds spewing every invective they can think of. Apple is a Chinese company, Apple is a cult, Apple customers are stupid, break Apple up, itā€™s a lie... the insanity is getting scary. Go to Yahoo Finance and look at the comments. Go to some other financial sites with comment sections. Go to MacRumors. These people are coming unglued, splitting at the seams, their heads are exploding. 

Some people are obsessed alright, the haters thatā€™s for sure.
    If Apple discovered the cure for all forms of cancer and made it freely available (FRAND?), the hate-bags at MacRumors would still spew anti-Apple invective, not just at the company but at its customers (and possibly the former cancer patients).
    cornchipJWSCStrangeDaysanantksundaramradarthekatwatto_cobradragan0405
  • Reply 49 of 146
    seankill said:
    Soli said:
    danvm said:

It happened on their first day of their IPO during a spike. It was sustained for more than a moment, they certainly didn't close that day anywhere near $1T USD, and have been far from it ever since. That's why I don't count this spike as a milestone for Apple until it's sustained, which at least means closing the market with a $1T market cap.

You make the assumption that the share price would have gone to the necessary number to equal 1T without the buybacks; part of Appleā€™s value is the companyā€™s buybacks. 
    I do make that assumption. There is truth to what you say because the buybacks do offer a value to investors, but I don't think there's a 1:1 ratio between the two.

lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    danvm said:

Well, $208.22 with a couple of hours to go. Looks like it may very well close above $1trillion.
    If it closes above $1T I'd say it's a milestone. For some reason Google is still showing Apple with only a $964 market cap.

lkrupp said:
    Currently about $0.15 short. Still possible to close above $207.05 by trading dayā€™s end. I doubt there will a press release from Apple but it will be on the national news this evening for sure. Meanwhile the haters, doubters, negative types are losing their minds spewing every invective they can think of. Apple is a Chinese company, Apple is a cult, Apple customers are stupid, break Apple up, itā€™s a lie... the insanity is getting scary. Go to Yahoo Finance and look at the comments. Go to some other financial sites with comment sections. Go to MacRumors. These people are coming unglued, splitting at the seams, their heads are exploding. 

Some people are obsessed alright, the haters thatā€™s for sure.
    Like this article. Even the image they used is a strong indicator of the type of the reader they're expecting.

edited August 2018
  • Reply 50 of 146
    crapdaycrapday Posts: 31member
    I am verklempt. 

Consider that the company was nearly bankrupt 20 years ago. Jobs is surely smiling up there today. 
    I think he may have been an atheist or possibly a Buddhist...

UPDATE:  Buddhist
    God will accept everyone.
    cornchip
  • Reply 51 of 146
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    jgojcaj said:
    OMG SOOOOO GREEEETTT.
    ...Can they give us a proper MacBook Pro with features and accessibility we need now?
    THANKS!!!!!!! :)
    No because there's nothing wrong with the current one...which is selling better than the one you want. You might as well just shut up about the Mac you would like to see because it Apple is not going backwards. You can join in with the folks who think Apple should release a 17" MacBook Pro again. 
    Solironnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 146
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Man I wish Sog35 was still around. Didnā€™t he sell all his AAPL stock @ $150?
    cornchipSpamSandwichStrangeDaysanantksundarampscooter63mbenz1962ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 146
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    USA! šŸ¤ šŸ‘
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 146
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    CNBC has the bears out today. Saying Apple is just a consumer electronics company and prices and margins always come down and will come down with Apple too. Also fretting over Apple being too dependent on iPhone and services growth all ties to iPhone. And complaining about all the cash the company has and not doing any large acquisitions with it. Now that the 1T milestone has been hit (even if it was intra-day only) the bears will be out in full force.
    The bears are correct.  Prices and margins will come down on existing products.  And if Apple sits and does nothing over the next decade their margins would surely drop.

... as if Apple were going to sit on their arses and do nothing ...

The buffonery continues.  But at least they get to be on TV.
    StrangeDaysanantksundaramronnwatto_cobradragan0405
  • Reply 55 of 146
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Soli said:
    The financial logic of that statement eludes me.  Care to elaborate?
    radarthekatronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 146
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    hentaiboy said:
    That guy really went off the rails.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDaysradarthekatstompybrucemcpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 146
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Rayz2016 said:

Intra-day lasted like 1 second.
    As long as as second, eh?

Not bad.

The obsession with this trillion dollar company thing is getting ridiculous. 
    Not as bad as the Y2K thing. I guess Apple's balance sheet can handle 13 digits, plus change.
    watto_cobradragan0405
  • Reply 58 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Royfb said:
    USA! šŸ¤ šŸ‘
    TSA! TSA! TSA!
  • Reply 59 of 146
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

hentaiboy said:
    He may or may not have jumped off a building...
    anantksundaramronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 146
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    crapday said:
    I am verklempt. 

Consider that the company was nearly bankrupt 20 years ago. Jobs is surely smiling up there today. 
    I think he may have been an atheist or possibly a Buddhist...

UPDATE:  Buddhist
    God will accept everyone.
    easily done when itā€™s make believe. 
    p-dogradarthekatronnevilution