Multiple leaks highlight yellow S Pen, 1TB storage capacity in upcoming Samsung Galaxy Not...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Multiple leaks for Samsung's Galaxy Note 9 have recently surfaced, claiming the iPhone competitor will offer up to 1 terabyte of capacity using internal storage and microSD cards, with all of the leaks notably being sourced from Samsung's own marketing channels.

The first leak was an early publication of a preorder announcement on a Samsung website, one that has since been deleted. Spotted by Venture Beat's Evan Blass, the now-removed pre-order announcement was a page produced by Samsung New Zealand,meant to be sent out in an email to newsletter subscribers.

The ad email tells readers to "Say hello to super power," showing the rear side of the smartphone and identifying it as the Galaxy Note 9. Along with a view of the base ports, which includes USB-C, a headphone jack, a speaker, and stylus storage, the accompanying image also highlights a yellow or gold-colored S Pen stylus.

...for when this disappears. pic.twitter.com/kCThU2QXTz

-- Evan Blass (@evleaks)

A second leak of a video, also posted by Samsung New Zealand and reported by SamMobile, provides many details about the device. On the back is a dual lens camera with flash, above a fingerprint reader, while the yellow stylus has a button on the side, but it is unclear if this triggers functions on the device or just for the stylus, such as triggering a catch to make the stylus extend.

One major point of the video is a claim to offer up to 1 terabyte of storage "with expandable memory." The small print advises this applies to models equipped with 512 gigabytes of internal storage, combined with a separately-acquired 512-gigabyte microSD card.

Support for memory cards of up to 512 gigabytes in capacity is an upgrade from the Galaxy S9 launched earlier this year, which only allowed cards with capacities up to 400 gigabytes.

Samsung will be unveiling the Note 9 on August 9 during its Unpacked event in New York.

While the Galaxy Note 9 leaks could be accidental, the frequency of leaks for recent devices, as well as the sourcing from Samsung itself, suggests the information may be distributed on purpose to take advantage of reports on technology news websites. Another recent "accidental leak" on the U.S. website revealed a new Galaxy Watch design, while another video "leak" occurred days before the launch of the Galaxy S9 earlier in 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I wouldn't want one for free.

Hate those backstabbers.
    2old4funracerhomie3magman1979SpamSandwicholsbrakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Yawn.

No innovation this year so they decide to bump the storage. Still using inferior UFS (like everyone else). If they wanted to impress on the storage front they should have used NVMe, like Apple has since the 6S.
    2old4funracerhomie3pscooter63magman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This will cause AAPL to tank this morning for sure. My apologies to you critics, you were right all along. Apple is doomed™
    2old4funmagman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I like to think Samsung makes good hardware, including their smartphones. I had an S7 for work, great hardware. The software was OK for about 4-5 months, then it was just horrific. Terrible battery life (after limiting a lot of settings), had gmail consume 5GB in a couple days despite the fact I never used it, the list goes on..... iOS just works too well to consider a Samsung Android product.
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Isn't the reason iPads and iPhones don't have external storage abilities a lot to do with both securities of the devices and DRM so as to make deals with publishers of music and movies easier.  I could be totally wrong but that as my understanding of the logic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp said:
    This will cause AAPL to tank this morning for sure. My apologies to you critics, you were right all along. Apple is doomed™
    I hope not lol, I finally am into seven figures!  All from a modest investment years ago :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    “Leaks” as if anyone other than Samsung would leak them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I thought I came to APPLEInsider.
    brakkenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Looks meh to me. 
    pscooter63magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    1TB on a mobile phone? What’s the point other than spec whoring?
    bigbillygoatgruff
  • Reply 11 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I thought I came to APPLEInsider.
    But we always need to know about the next iPhone killer on the horizon, don’t we?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Fingerprint sensor still on the back (and so many hoping for it to be under the screen).

Apple will be releasing their second generation FaceID next month which will no doubt see improvements all around with accuracy, speed and reliability. This while everyone else still can't decide between using facial recognition or an in-screen reader.

It'll be just like TouchID was when it launched. Apple comes out with the only fingerprint reader that actually works well while everyone scrambles to match (anyone remember how poorly Samsungs first fingerprint sensor was)? By the time they had their first sensor out Apple had already moved on to their second generation (and even better) version of TouchID.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Is this a non-exploding Note? I prefer phones that don't explode. 
    edited August 2018 magman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Oh, a rectangular pencil - that seems comfortable to hold...

...if you're a carpenter...

magman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I think you got this wrong. If the same logic was applied by ALL the companies for the past 20+ years, we would have been stuck with 128KB of storage now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They make some explosive products.
    claire1magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    I think you got this wrong. If the same logic was applied by ALL the companies for the past 20+ years, we would have been stuck with 128KB of storage now.

No, he's right. It's just for bragging rights. It's like processors advertising their clock rates and seeing who has the higher numbers.

Complaining about running out of storage on a 16GB phone is a legitimate complaint since a lot of people on these devices do use up their storage. Saying we need 1TB as a solution is asinine. Especially when half of that 1TB is slow-ass SD card storage with restricted functionality.
    pscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30

No, he's right. It's just for bragging rights. It's like processors advertising their clock rates and seeing who has the higher numbers.

Complaining about running out of storage on a 16GB phone is a legitimate complaint since a lot of people on these devices do use up their storage. Saying we need 1TB as a solution is asinine. Especially when half of that 1TB is slow-ass SD card storage with restricted functionality.
    It is not complaining about inadequate storage, more like moving technology forward. And if I remember correctly, Samsung has developed a faster UFS card storage solution last year and S8 and S9 phones support faster removable storage. So it is NOT useless as you think it is. It is very useful in certain scenarios.
    williamlondonsingularity
  • Reply 19 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    If the SD card interface supports video recording @ 4k, being able to stuff a 512 GB SD card in the thing may be useful for someone. I'd still be a bit nervous about committing many hours of video or even tens/hundreds of gigabytes of data or photos to an SD card that's sitting in a smartphone unless I have a reliable backup. In my opinion, the main problem with having massive storage in a portable device is the relative ease of losing massive amounts of important data and work if the device is lost, stolen, dropped in a toilet, chewed by your dog, or whatever fate can befall these stylish little devices. To avoid this you need a backup, and with a terabyte of data at risk you'll need a very large and high performance backup solution, a requirement that's difficult and/or costly to achieve with mobile devices.
    jcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30

It is not complaining about inadequate storage, more like moving technology forward. And if I remember correctly, Samsung has developed a faster UFS card storage solution last year and S8 and S9 phones support faster removable storage. So it is NOT useless as you think it is. It is very useful in certain scenarios.

Faster UFS is still UFS. And you still have limitations within Android as to whether you want to just store photos or music or use it as an extension of your built-in storage. It’s a clusterfu?k however you slice it.
    magman1979pscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra