Rumored dual-SIM 6.1-inch LCD iPhone potentially exclusive to Chinese market

Posted:
in iPhone
A report out of Taiwan claims that Apple is looking at releasing four models of iPhone in the fall, with a dual-sim model exclusive to China.

Mockup of iPhones

According to a report by Taiwan-based newspaper United Daily News, Apple may launch a unique iPhone for the Chinese market. Citing sources with supplier Foxconn, the report claims that the iPhones currently in production have four separate "codes," which could contradict the conventional wisdom that Apple will release three iPhone models this fall.

The theory behind the speculation is based on the Chinese use pattern of mobile phones. As compared to the United States, many more people in the Chinese market use multiple phone numbers, and potentially do frequent SIM swaps to use one phone. Apple could meet a potential demand by introducing a dual-sim card phone.

Reports of Apple trying a dual-SIM iPhone have spread before, including an early-June report by a Chinese outlet called the 21st Century Business Herald. That report stated that the iPhone would include both embedded Apple SIMs and standard SIM trays.

Even so, the idea of an China-exclusive dual-SIM iPhone is certainly far from the conventional wisdom about this year's iPhone lineup.

As of last month, Apple held 9 percent of smartphone market share in China, although the iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus ranked third and fourth in terms of individual models, Counterpoint Research said.

Another possibility exists that the publication is taking different model numbers to mean differing hardware, beyond the possibility of a carrier-locked phone behind different modems, like is the situation in the United States with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X using Qualcomm or Intel modems, depending on supported carrier.

The United Daily News has a poor track record of predicting Apple's product plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    In Brazil there used to be a need for that, now almost all companies offer unlimited call plans for all carriers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Dual SIM important for overseas travelers and locally those who needs to carry two(job,personal) phones So, dual SIM is not just Chinese user need.
    caladanianolstokyojimumuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    As a US user, I'd like a dual SIM capable phone (on the X+ high end).   Besides the occasional international travel, it'd be nice to keep work and personal stuff easy separated (external exposure)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    wood1208 said:
    Dual SIM important for overseas travelers and locally those who needs to carry two(job,personal) phones So, dual SIM is not just Chinese user need.
    If this rumor is true, I hope I can order one from the US instead of having go to China to get one. I carry two iPhones now when traveling.
    berndog
  • Reply 5 of 7
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Hopefully Apple will be brave and ditch the physical SIM. With an e-SIM, you can have several saved in 1 phone. It’s also smaller and stops the need for a special door which would make the phone easier to waterproof.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm waiting for a zero SIM model (Like the Apple Watch)
    S tupid
    I mbecilic
    M onster

A holdover from the Paleolithic period...   Time to move on...
    ihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    chadbag said:
    As a US user, I'd like a dual SIM capable phone (on the X+ high end).   Besides the occasional international travel, it'd be nice to keep work and personal stuff easy separated (external exposure)
    This is what I do. Until now this habit unfortunately have stopped me from using an iPhone. May change now!