Latest iOS 12 beta hints at rounded displays for Apple's 2018 iPad Pro refresh [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2019
The next generation of iPad Pros should have rounded corners on their displays, as with the iPhone X, probing of the fifth iOS 12 beta suggests.

A mockup of a 2018 iPad Pro design.
A mockup of a 2018 iPad Pro design.

Visual assets uncovered in the beta include a rounded, rectangular mask used to round off the corners of interface elements. The PNG file is labeled "J3xx affordance corners," suggesting a 2018-era iPad.

In fact using Xcode's iOS Simulator shows that iOS 12 is able to accommodate rounded corners on an iPad, and a similar asset in the beta appears intended for Apple's 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, currently labeled the N84. It's believed that all three new iPhones shipping this fall -- the others being 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models -- will use edge-to-edge displays.

A 9to5 simulation of multitasking in iOS 12.
A 9to5 simulation of multitasking in iOS 12.

Similar design has been rumored for this year's 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. In fact another recent iOS 12 discovery includes a beta icon clearly depicting an iPad with minimal bezels.

The latest assets were found by 9to5Mac.

The new Pros should also switch from Touch ID to Face ID, improving login convenience, and gain faster processors.

Update: Following the discovery, developer Steve Troughton-Smith posted to Twitter a set of images illustrating what screenshots could look like on a new 11-inch iPad Pro. As seen below, the images provide a correct representation of the iOS 12 user interface on an iPad boasting a screen resolution of 2,328-by-1748 pixels. The simulated screenshots also offer a look at how the new rounded corner graphical style might be applied to the operating system's multitasking windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    montanacoppermontanacopper Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I like it.  Small change, but looks more polished to me.
    caladaniandoozydozendewme
  • Reply 2 of 48
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Funny. CRT-based televisions and monitors used to have rounded corners. Towards the end of the CRT era, more expensive models had squared corners. Some even had vertically-flat screens.

What's old is new again!
    wonkothesanedhawkins541anton zuykovCheeseFreezenetmagecornchipkirkgraythtStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 48
    YES looks great!
  • Reply 4 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Cue the outrage of those who claim that those few lost pixels in the corners are critical to their workflow..
    tnet-primarylkruppGG1SolinetroxcornchipdoozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 48
    slurpy said:
    Cue the outrage of those who claim that those few lost pixels in the corners are critical to their workflow..
    Hah!  Indeed. 
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Reply 7 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    slurpy said:
    It would be funnier of those types didn’t exist but... they do.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm not a fan of that mockup. I'd think they've keep the bezels wide enough to accommodate Face ID tech without a notch.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    slurpy said:
    Ugh! I hope corner-gate doesn't happen, but if the internet has taught me anything is that if you can think of it then someone will complain about it.
    dhawkins541cornchippscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Those few lost pixels in the corners are critically critical to my workflow. Grr! Apple has left me behind!
    claire1doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 48
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I need this iPad yesterday! Choosing between size is gonna be hard this time. Can't wait!
    claire1
  • Reply 12 of 48
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    On the iPad those corners look fine but on the iPhone X they seem far too large, causing the status icons to look crammed for space and asymmetrical.

The corners should be like the 5/5s in size. On the notch as well.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 13 of 48
    The new 11.0” iPad Pro won’t be 2,328-by-1746, if the rumors from Mac Otakara about the device size of 247.5mm x 178.7mm are true. If those are the correct measurements, Apple has changed the aspect ratio to 10:7.

The display (in portrait) would be the same width but about 15mm taller. 
  • Reply 14 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    For real, an app that has a layout with some kind of grid: a text box, x/y graph, list, etc,.....these and many other things are going to be skewed or compromised in corner areas. Items in the corners will either be arbitrarily rounded or shifted in from the corner to create a true squared corner. If you are programming a dynamic screen layout do you now have to program work arounds for the corners?

I don’t like the direction if that’s where It’s going.

• Reply 15 of 48
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    slurpy said:

MisterKit said:
    For real, an app that has a layout with some kind of grid: a text box, x/y graph, list, etc,.....these and many other things are going to be skewed or compromised in corner areas. Items in the corners will either be arbitrarily rounded or shifted in from the corner to create a true squared corner. If you are programming a dynamic screen layout do you now have to program work arounds for the corners?

o_o

edited August 2018 cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 48
    MisterKit said:

Do you not realize Apple solved this problem before the iPhone X was ever introduced?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 48
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    Soli said:
    MisterKit said:

Do you not realize Apple solved this problem before the iPhone X was ever introduced?
    I don’t have an iPhone X. How did they solve the problem?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    MisterKit said:
    Soli said:
    MisterKit said:

I don’t have an iPhone X. How did they solve the problem?
    1) The fact that it's existed for 11 months with rounded corners should be a yuge indicator that this is solvable even without knowing a single specific about how they solved it.

2) Again, without being technical, you can look at their website and introduction video to gain insight into how apps are formatted:

3) If you're really interested in the nuts and bolts of iOS for iPhone X they do have a very detailed HIG:

MisterKitStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 48
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Those few lost pixels in the corners are critically critical to my workflow. Grr! Apple has left me behind!
    You forgot to mention that you’re switching to Surface!
    doozydozenpscooter63king editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 48
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Soli said:
    I'm not a fan of that mockup. I'd think they've keep the bezels wide enough to accommodate Face ID tech without a notch.

Agree with this.

I think there will be symmetrical top and bottom bezels; top for TrueDepth camera and bottom for aesthetics. Plus, when held in landscape mode with one hand the weight of the device will require a tighter grasp, i.e. more thumb over the display.
    [Deleted User]