'iPhone X Plus' design seemingly revealed in iOS 12 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
Further spelunking into Apple's latest iOS 12 beta on Friday reveals what appears to be an iconographic representation of the company's widely rumored "iPhone X Plus" handset, a larger-screened version of the current iPhone X.

iPhone payment glyph found in iOS 12 beta. | Source: Guilherme Rambo via Twitter

Line drawings buried in the latest iOS 12 beta's PassKitUIFoundation, discovered by iOS developer and 9to5Mac contributor Guilherme Rambo, indicate the general design of "iPhone X Plus," as well as a "square and weird" 2018 iPad Pro.

While not highly detailed schematics, the image appears to indicate that a new, larger "iPhone X Plus" is indeed being prepared for launch with a taller and slightly wider screen than the original iPhone X. The telltale True Depth camera "notch" remains, though the cutout's silhouette features a tweaked design compared to Apple's iPhone X. Specifically, the "iPhone X Plus" notch terminates in a right angle, akin to the actual iPhone X design that debuted last fall.

In addition to iPhone, a glyph indicating a bezel-less iPad model was also found in the firmware. Oddly rendered as a square, the icon is believed to be designed for quick and easy graphical manipulation and is not thought of as evidence of a square-shaped iPad.

The glyphs were found in PassKitUIFoundation, the iOS wallet user interface. Icons in the repository are used in Wallet animations like those seen when triggering Apple Pay on iPhone.

It's unclear whether or not either glyph indicates a final product design, but widespread rumors suggest Apple is working on both a larger iPhone X model and a redesigned iPad that replaces the Touch ID home button with Face ID technology.

Earlier beta snooping unearthed an iPad line drawing similar to the iPhone version found today, showing a bezel-free tablet without Apple's trademark home button. Notably, the icon failed to include a Face ID notch, suggesting the specialized biometric feature will be integrated into a side bezel.

Apple is expected to unveil the next generation of iPhones in September. Along with a refreshed 5.8-inch iPhone X, the company is anticipated to introduce a 6.5-inch handset with OLED display and a 6.1-inch model that will use traditional LCD tech.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That doesn't look larger to me. In fact, it looks more exacting than the other image currently found in the iOS 12 beta that is labeled D22, which I believe was the code name for the iPhone X last year. The notch on the D22 image (far right) looks more like what we're seeing with iPhone X knockoffs.

(Left to right) iPhone X, "Payment_glyph_intent_phone.caar" file, "Payment_glyph_phone-D22.caar" file

Then there's the wonky square image that looks like an iPod Nano. 
    I really can't see a perfectly square iPad coming out, nor the return of the iPod nano, and the buttons are wrong for the Apple Watch, so I'm wondering if Apple will simply manipulate (i.e.: stretch) the image as needed for whatever aspect ratio is needed to match that iPad.
    edited August 2018 Rayz2016caladanianthtnetmage
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looks like the 6.1", to me   :D
  • Reply 3 of 28
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    The square is a smart home hub to put on the wall.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hagar said:
    Likely not as it was found in passkit, aka Wallet.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    ireland said:
    hagar said:
    Likely not as it was found in passkit, aka Wallet.
    More likely a new watch, but I don’t understand the button then, hmmm... interesting. 
  • Reply 6 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Any trace of code referring to iPhone SE 2 ? or it is Spring 2019 release or the era of smaller iPhone is dead ?
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 7 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    wood1208 said:
    or the era of smaller iPhone is dead ?
    I hope that's not the case. I'm looking at getting an SE 2 and retiring my SE to backup. Even having to wait to 2019 would be disappointing, but somewhat preferable to no SE 2 at all.
    netmage
  • Reply 8 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    Since so many people call the Watch 'square' maybe Apple decided to make one.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wood1208 said:
    Any trace of code referring to iPhone SE 2 ? or it is Spring 2019 release or the era of smaller iPhone is dead ?
    macgui said:
    I hope that's not the case. I'm looking at getting an SE 2 and retiring my SE to backup. Even having to wait to 2019 would be disappointing, but somewhat preferable to no SE 2 at all.
    What’re they going to do? They can’t put any newer hardware in it. How would an SE2 differ from the original?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    wood1208 said:
    macgui said:
    What’re they going to do? They can’t put any newer hardware in it. How would an SE2 differ from the original?
    The SE2 could have haptic-feedback home button, 2nd generation TouchID, A10 SoC.  That's assuming just a basic upgrade.  Or Apple could make an SE 2 based on iPhone X specs => FaceID, all-screen front, A11 SoC.  I am confident many iPhone users would love the latter.
    aylknetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Shouldn’t there be iPhone XL, XXL... and for the morbidly obese... iPhone XXXL?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    wood1208 said:
    Smaller better not be dead.
    aylk
  • Reply 13 of 28
    wood1208 said:
    macgui said:
    The SE2 could have haptic-feedback home button, 2nd generation TouchID, A10 SoC.  That's assuming just a basic upgrade.  Or Apple could make an SE 2 based on iPhone X specs => FaceID, all-screen front, A11 SoC.  I am confident many iPhone users would love the latter.
    Second gen Touch ID would be cool. It’s so much faster. I do see Touch ID fazed-out over time, though.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    ireland said:
    wood1208 said:
    macgui said:
    Second gen Touch ID would be cool. It’s so much faster. I do see Touch ID fazed-out over time, though.
    I would love to see an iPhone SE based on iPhone X specs but I'm not banking on it.  Knowing Apple, they'll let it linger with TouchID  until demand for the SE fades.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I don’t see a “right angle”. Looks exactly the same if you zoom in, rounded. Same as iPhone X. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    wood1208 said:

The SE was an inexpensive (production lines already in place) experiment to gauge how much interest there was in a smaller iPhone.

I believe it proved to be popular, so this year, we'll get a true small flagship phone; the iPhone 9 mini. With a slight increase in screen size due to the bezels being shrunk with the Home button replaced by the TrueDepth camera.

The SE may just remain as is with a price drop. I have one, and it is still a great phone... and iOS 12 is supposed to make sure it remains so.

This will give sales a huge boost this year... two small models to choose from, a cheaper older phone, or a more costly brand new phone. A majority of people would obviously go for the new model.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

wood1208 said:
    macgui said:

SE size is too small for the Taptic Engine and the screen is too small for the TrueDepth camera notch.

iPhone 9 mini, will have 4" (maybe slightly larger) display, A12, TrueDepth camera, but will have a top bezel to accommodate it. (and a bottom bezel for symmetry)
  • Reply 18 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mjtomlin said:
    iPhone 9 mini
    Where did the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S+ go? Won’t we have the iPhone 8S and iPhone 8S+ this year? iPhone 9 and iPhone 9+ are next year, then. But the iPhone XI and iPhone XI+ are this year, too.

Introducing iPhone. One phone, three sizes.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I think the new image is a new general "abstraction" of all new iPhones, the X2 (or Xs) and Plus. And maybe the SE successor, the 6.1" XE.

The iPad image will probably be stretched along the side lines.Images like this are easily be stretched and this is done to a lot of iOS image resources.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    mjtomlin said:

wood1208 said:
    macgui said:

SE size is too small for the Taptic Engine and the screen is too small for the TrueDepth camera notch.

iPhone 9 mini, will have 4" (maybe slightly larger) display, A12, TrueDepth camera, but will have a top bezel to accommodate it. (and a bottom bezel for symmetry)
    Isn’t there a Taptic Engine in the Watch?