'iPhone X Plus' design seemingly revealed in iOS 12 beta

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    bshank said:
    Isn’t there a Taptic Engine in the Watch?
    yup. Silly to claim that it's too small for one, especially once you drop the headphone jack.

Given that the X approximately has a "6+/7+/8+" screen squeezed into "6/7/8" footprint, it stands to reason that an SE2 would have a screen about the size of an iPhone 6, plenty of space there for a notch.

No way it'll happen this year, parts would have leaked by now. If this doesn't happen next year, it's over for small phones. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 22 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bshank said:
    mjtomlin said:

wood1208 said:
    Any trace of code referring to iPhone SE 2 ? or it is Spring 2019 release or the era of smaller iPhone is dead ?
    macgui said:
    I hope that's not the case. I'm looking at getting an SE 2 and retiring my SE to backup. Even having to wait to 2019 would be disappointing, but somewhat preferable to no SE 2 at all.
    What’re they going to do? They can’t put any newer hardware in it. How would an SE2 differ from the original?
    The SE2 could have haptic-feedback home button, 2nd generation TouchID, A10 SoC.  That's assuming just a basic upgrade.  Or Apple could make an SE 2 based on iPhone X specs => FaceID, all-screen front, A11 SoC.  I am confident many iPhone users would love the latter.

SE size is too small for the Taptic Engine and the screen is too small for the TrueDepth camera notch.

iPhone 9 mini, will have 4" (maybe slightly larger) display, A12, TrueDepth camera, but will have a top bezel to accommodate it. (and a bottom bezel for symmetry)
    Eric_WVGG said:
    bshank said:
    yup. Silly to claim that it's too small for one, especially once you drop the headphone jack.

Given that the X approximately has a "6+/7+/8+" screen squeezed into "6/7/8" footprint, it stands to reason that an SE2 would have a screen about the size of an iPhone 6, plenty of space there for a notch.

No way it'll happen this year, parts would have leaked by now. If this doesn't happen next year, it's over for small phones. 
    1) I have no doubt they could add a Taptic engine, but do wonder how its effectvness is affected by size. Even on my wrist my Watch doesn’t vibrate nearly as effectively as my iPhone through fabric or in a bag.

Personally, I tend to not notice the hourly stand vibration at the 50 minute mark when engrossed in my work, and I still haven’t been able to figure out the series of vibrations to indicate which direction to turn when Maps directions is in use. If there’s a way to make these vibrations more obvious and clear I haven’t found it. I do have vibrate setting to max, BTW.

So, could there not be something to mjtomlin's comment since the internal volume is already at a premium and we know Aplple has combated this in the past with larger and thicker devices, even while taking out components some believe are “required”, like the 3.5mm jack? Would a smaller Taptic engine be good enough for the SE? How large could it be? And what about his mention of a True Depth camera prevents this from being included?

I certainly don’t have answers to those questions, but I do know that Apple makes decisions based on both cost and technical feasibility (which usually also falls squarely within the cost parameter).

2) Eric_WVGG, I'm not sure we can compare before and after the iPhone X the same way by using the display as a benchmark since one was using an LCD with several layers of components and the other is a a single layer OLED. Even with the larger display of the iPhoneX couldn't that still use smaller in terms of volume than the display of the 4.7" iPhone, or even smaller iPhones?

edit: Doing a little research, it looks like Apple switched from a rotational motor (aka: counterweight) in the iPhone 4 (and all previous iPhones) to an oscillating motor for the iPhone 4S before moving back to the rotational motor for the iPhone 5.

From that comparison, it appears that the rotational vibrator is significantly smaller than the linear version. So it could be that Apple needed to save all of the space it possibly could in order to keep the package of the iPhone 5 as thin as possible. It was reduced 18% in thickness from the iPhone 4S and Apple likely had to save space everywhere they could. Perhaps the vibrator was a casualty of that.v

Also, several interesting comments on Quora, but I'm not sure how that relates to the minimum physics and engineering thresholds of the motor for use in a handheld device.

edited August 2018
  • Reply 23 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    wood1208 said:
    Any trace of code referring to iPhone SE 2 ? or it is Spring 2019 release or the era of smaller iPhone is dead ?
    macgui said:
    I hope that's not the case. I'm looking at getting an SE 2 and retiring my SE to backup. Even having to wait to 2019 would be disappointing, but somewhat preferable to no SE 2 at all.
    What’re they going to do? They can’t put any newer hardware in it. How would an SE2 differ from the original?
    The SE2 could have haptic-feedback home button, 2nd generation TouchID, A10 SoC.  That's assuming just a basic upgrade.  Or Apple could make an SE 2 based on iPhone X specs => FaceID, all-screen front, A11 SoC.  I am confident many iPhone users would love the latter.
    Second gen Touch ID would be cool. It’s so much faster. I do see Touch ID fazed-out over time, though.
    I would love to see an iPhone SE based on iPhone X specs but I'm not banking on it.  Knowing Apple, they'll let it linger with TouchID  until demand for the SE fades.
    Actually, come to think of it I would love to see an SE sized X, but with the thinness on current SE to give us as much battery life as possible in such a size. That at a non-crazy price would be awesome.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    mjtomlin said:
    iPhone 9 mini
    Where did the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S+ go? Won’t we have the iPhone 8S and iPhone 8S+ this year? iPhone 9 and iPhone 9+ are next year, then. But the iPhone XI and iPhone XI+ are this year, too.

Introducing iPhone. One phone, three sizes.
    This year we get an updated X and X plus. The branding is on point, so they are likely to retain it.

The LCD model is the lesser, so that will most likely be branded iPhone 9. Or it should be.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    bshank said:
    mjtomlin said:

wood1208 said:
    macgui said:

SE size is too small for the Taptic Engine and the screen is too small for the TrueDepth camera notch.

iPhone 9 mini, will have 4" (maybe slightly larger) display, A12, TrueDepth camera, but will have a top bezel to accommodate it. (and a bottom bezel for symmetry)

Yes there is, but it is tiny compared to the iPhone. The larger the mass of the device the more force is needed to feel the haptic feedback.

In order to make room for it in a phone the size of the SE, the Home button and the audio jack would have to go.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mjtomlin said:
    iPhone 9 mini

The iPhone 9 mini, would be interesting.

At some point, the OLED models should come down a bit in price, and maybe the 5.8” model is replaced by a 6.1” OLED, and a 4.5 or similar OLED becomes the small phone. That should be the only three phones Apple sells at some future juncture. And they should have numberless branding. Perhaps the ‘mini’, the iPhone and the ‘plus’. And lower goddamn prices.
    edited August 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mjtomlin said:
    bshank said:
    mjtomlin said:

wood1208 said:
    macgui said:

Yes there is, but it is tiny compared to the iPhone. The larger the mass of the device the more force is needed to feel the haptic feedback.

In order to make room for it in a phone the size of the SE, the Home button and the audio jack would have to go.
    They would be, though.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    mjtomlin said:
    iPhone 9 mini
    Where did the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S+ go? Won’t we have the iPhone 8S and iPhone 8S+ this year? iPhone 9 and iPhone 9+ are next year, then. But the iPhone XI and iPhone XI+ are this year, too.

I think Apple has done away with the "S" naming style.  iPhone 8 was the 7s, and the next LCD one will be iPhone 9.