Google Pixel 3 XL leak shows taller notch than iPhone X coupled with big chin

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google is seemingly following the same trend as other Android smartphone producers for the next generation of Pixel devices, a video leak suggests, by copying the iPhone X's use of a notch at the top of the display in a device believed to be the Pixel 3 XL.

The Google Pixel 3 XL shown in images and a video on a Ukranian tech blogger's Telegram channel allegedly depict a "pre-release version" of the smartphone, notes Android Police. The exact source of the unit is unknown, with the potential to change ahead of an expected October launch, but the level of finish and the packaging suggests little will change if the leak is genuine.

Shots of the phone's interface advise its model name is the Pixel 3 XL, running on the recently-released Android 9. Inside is a Qualcomm processor with two clusters of four cores, running at 1.77GHz and 2.80GHz in each cluster, with 3.46GB of RAM suggesting it could have 3.5GB or 4GB of memory, and an Adreno 630 GPU.

The settings also suggest the screen resolution to be 1,440 by 2,960, with a pixel density of 494 pixels per inch.

One major notable addition to the design is the use of a notch at the top, allowing it to have an edge-to-edge display that reaches the top two corners, but with a noticeable bottom "chin" section for a speaker and mouthpiece. It is unclear what is in the notch section at the top, aside from a camera and speaker, but the images don't suggest any extra sensors have been added, such as found with the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera.

If the leak really does show a Pixel 3 XL, it is a sign that Google is following the trend of adding a notch to the top of their screen in order to make it bigger. While Apple's implementation was for practicality, to increase the amount of space the screen takes up on the front of the iPhone X as well as to house more sensors to enable Face ID, other Android vendors were quick to try and copy the design in their own products, with varying success.

The back cover appears to be similar in design to the existing Pixel 2 XL, featuring a single camera lens, flash, and a fingerprint reader. In the box are some earbuds, a USB-C cable for charging, a charger, and a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for use with wired headphones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    That notch is just too much. 
    supadav03ronnjbdragonolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 77
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Oh boy, this "notch" thing is really getting interesting.

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    supadav03ronnpscooter63anantksundaramSnickersMagooclaire1LukeCagewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    supadav03magman1979ronnpscooter63jbdragonanantksundaramlkruppSnickersMagoomejsricbrakken
  • Reply 4 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Bebe said:

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 
    edited August 2018 ronnolsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 77
    It was pretty funny when Google announced support for notches in Android P. It was claimed by the fandroids that Google was simply making the change to support vendors who want to use a notch, not because Google themselves thought a notch was a good idea.

If the Pixel 3 actually has a notch, the sheer number of exploding heads will make people think it's Scanners all over again.
    pujones1Rayz2016ronnnetmagepscooter63anantksundarammelodyof1974StrangeDaysclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 77
    It was pretty funny when Google announced support for notches in Android P. It was claimed by the fandroids that Google was simply making the change to support vendors who want to use a notch, not because Google themselves thought a notch was a good idea.

If the Pixel 3 actually has a notch, the sheer number of exploding heads will make people think it's Scanners all over again.
    Heads are already exploding. SOOO many Android users think notches are ugly. 
    supadav03ronnCarnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 77
    sflocal said:
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    Why haven't you looked rather than assuming they aren't complaining? If you have time to type you could at least take a moment to check. 

The likelihood of a notch on the XL version is being roundly ridiculed. If it turns out there's no reason other than "just because" I can't imagine how loud the complaints will get. Over 450 posts on a 5 hour old story...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/
    edited August 2018 jasenj1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 77
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Very ugly. First of all, the notch + chin design has to be the worst current phone design out. Either go notch with no chin, ala the iPhone X or go with very thin bezels on top & bottom like the Galaxy/Note series. Beyond that issue, the actual notch on this phone is extra ugly. So long/tall. 🤢🤮
    ronnStrangeDaysSnickersMagoocreateriomuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That notch is less aesthetically pleasing than on the iPhone X, but more space for data in the Status Bar is a plus. The biggest fail I see is still keeping the chin. if your display tech, engineering, and/or cost require that you need to have some extra space would it not be better to have it at the top so that you can presumably put the camera and other sensors in the top row without a notch? Well, At least they didn't stick the camera in the bottom-right corner. 
    edited August 2018 ronnStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Can we also take a moment to note that it comes with USB-C earbuds, which I assume means it has no 3.5mm jack?
    StrangeDayschasmwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Soli said:
    Can we also take a moment to note that it comes with USB-C earbuds, which I assume means it has no 3.5mm jack?
    It didn't have one this year either. The original Pixels did but not since. 
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Natch’ it has a Notch!
    SpamSandwichpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    It didn't have one this year either. The original Pixels did but not since. 
    Sure, but it's still commonplace on Android-based devices, and Apple is probably the only HW vendor I trust to consider a major change and stick with it. Remember when Samsung was touting a phone with USB 3.0 which meant that extra long Micro-B port? I'm pretty sure they dropped back to USB 2.0 Micro-B for the next generation.

edit: The Galaxy S5, which dropped down to USB 2.0 for the S6 which also had 1.5x faster charging than the S5 according to one biota text I saw. They both had a horrible doors over the USB port, as if that's a reasonable option for something used daily.

edited August 2018 pscooter63watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Soli said:
    That notch is less aesthetically pleasing than on the iPhone X, but more space for data in the Status Bar is a plus. The biggest fail I see is still keeping the chin. if your display tech, engineering, and/or cost require that you need to have some extra space would it not be better to have it at the top so that you can presumably put the camera and other sensors in the top row without a notch? Well, At least they didn't stick the camera in the bottom-right corner. 
    Hmmm...
    I think Google is adding a universal "dark mode" this year, and a poster has offered this image using it. If that's the plan it would look a little LESS ugly. Ugly rather than fugly. In either event I would have zero interest myself.

Thumbnail
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    Hmmm...
    I think Google is adding a universal "dark mode" this year, and a poster has offered this image using it. If that's the plan it would look a little LESS ugly. Ugly rather than fugly. In either event I would have zero interest myself.

[image]
    That does look much better with the black bar at the top. It also creates a uniform look that probably matches the height of the chin to the notch.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 
    3D face recognition AND a fingerprint reader?

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?
    ronnStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

3D face recognition AND a fingerprint reader?

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?
    Exactly. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Buncha frickin’ hacks and thieves.
    anantksundaramclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 77
    Buncha frickin’ hacks and thieves.
    Cher song?
    SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 77