Google Pixel 3 XL leak shows taller notch than iPhone X coupled with big chin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:
    Oh boy, this "notch" thing is really getting interesting.

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 
    3D face recognition AND a fingerprint reader?

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?
    Why not ask Essential or Sharp?

Some phones have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND in screen sensors. Options can come in handy.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 77
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    That notch looks wrong even for notches, I wonder if it's because of the ratios mentioned here - the iPhone X never has a vertical tangent on its notch

https://medium.com/tall-west/no-cutting-corners-on-the-iphone-x-97a9413b94e
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    Buncha frickin’ hacks and thieves.
    Cher song?
    Pre-fix the words “We’re a...” and you have Google’s chorus. With Schmidt on lead.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Soli said:
    Can we also take a moment to note that it comes with USB-C earbuds, which I assume means it has no 3.5mm jack?
    I wasn't looking at the notch. All I saw was more dongles in the box than Apple. I guess Google wins. /s
    StrangeDaysronnking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 77
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    This is the 3rd year in a Row of Google copying the iPhone!!! It looks almost like a iPhone x, other than a deeper notch and the bezel on the bottom. I get the bezel on the bottom. Google is using a cheaper screen. Apple is using a Flexable OLED screen. Apple is bending the display back around on the bottom as to not have a bezel on the bottom like everyone else.

It's sad how much Google is copying Apple year after year. Google has been trying to be more and more like Apple. I thought it was bad with Google bashing Apple for not having a headphone jack and they did on their Pixel, and yet 1 year later, tossed the headphone jack. The priced this pixel phones to match Apple's price, but include no headphones, and generally there's less storage on the phone. Then they come out with these dorky, not fully wireless Bluetooth headset.

Rumors are that this year Google will include wired headphones. We'll see!!! I'm not sure who would buy this phone?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 26 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Can we also take a moment to note that it comes with USB-C earbuds, which I assume means it has no 3.5mm jack?
    I wasn't looking at the notch. All I saw was more dongles in the box than Apple. I guess Google wins. /s
    If the rumours are true that Apple will be dropping the Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter from this year's iPhone I'd bet that Google will follow suit next year.
    melodyof1974watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Rumor is that Sammy's new phone has a notch at the bottom!
    claire1SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 77
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    It didn't have one this year either. The original Pixels did but not since. 
    Where's the indignant outrage?!
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 77
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Two notches must be better than one, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?

Some phones have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND in screen sensors. Options can come in handy.
    Please list said phones that have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND an in screen sensors, then note which of those modes is actually secure.
    edited August 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    Why haven't you looked rather than assuming they aren't complaining? If you have time to type you could at least take a moment to check. 

The likelihood of a notch on the XL version is being roundly ridiculed. If it turns out there's no reason other than "just because" I can't imagine how loud the complaints will get. Over 450 posts on a 5 hour old story...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/
    Oh I look around.  Sure, Fandroid-eccentric sites have their chatter.  Where's the media-level outrage?  I clearly remember news sites, outlets, and the such complaining about Apple's notch.  Heck, even Samsung's recent ads made up fun of it.  Now that it's the norm and the king of Android is on board, barely a peep.

I think Fandroids are more up in arms that the notch essentially copies Apple, and in some way validate's Apple's decision, more than if it proves any real benefit to an Android phone.
    anantksundaramnunzyclaire1watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 32 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's notches all the way down!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This is what Google comes up with, almost a year after the iPhone X is released? A taller notch AND a chin? Fucking pathetic. That phone looks absolutely hideous.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    It's notches all the way down!
    My wish is Nachos all the way down!
    claire1SpamSandwichwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Carlose17520Carlose17520 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    sflocal said:
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    Why haven't you looked rather than assuming they aren't complaining? If you have time to type you could at least take a moment to check. 

The likelihood of a notch on the XL version is being roundly ridiculed. If it turns out there's no reason other than "just because" I can't imagine how loud the complaints will get. Over 450 posts on a 5 hour old story...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/
    Oh I look around.  Sure, Fandroid-eccentric sites have their chatter.  Where's the media-level outrage?  I clearly remember news sites, outlets, and the such complaining about Apple's notch.  Heck, even Samsung's recent ads made up fun of it.  Now that it's the norm and the king of Android is on board, barely a peep.

I think Fandroids are more up in arms that the notch essentially copies Apple, and in some way validate's Apple's decision, more than if it proves any real benefit to an Android phone.
    I don’t think you’re being objective here, I think you just want to see what you want to see. News and media outlets have all expressed how hideous this notch is. YouTube videos as well regarding this leak have expressed their distaste and just how little this makes sense especially for Android. 
    Carnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Any notch on screen (that includes iPhone) looks like crack in someones bottom part of body. It is simply ugly, weird flaw in screen. It is time to understand that rather than treating it as "cool thing".
  • Reply 37 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Any notch on screen (that includes iPhone) looks like crack in someones bottom part of body. It is simply ugly, weird flaw in screen. It is time to understand that rather than treating it as "cool thing".
    1) How exactly does this look like an ass crack?

2) Why do you need 7 words to say ass? If that's too vulgar for you, why not butt, buttocks, backside, behind, bum, rear end, derrière, bootyfannykeister, tochus, heinie, arse, caboose, posteriorhaunchesgluteus maximus, and countless other options that are just a single word.

3) Neither the iPhone X notch nor your intergluteal cleft are flaws. Both serve very distinct and not at all accidental purposes.

netroxanantksundaramStrangeDaysronnLukeCageRayz2016watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 77
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    When you functionally need the camera and scanners on a front screen with edge to edge display, the rule of design is to embrace those technologies well in UI design. A notch embraces them but it has to be well designed. Apple made it well designed. The notch on others isn't. 

claire1tmayStrangeDaysronnRayz2016watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 39 of 77
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:

F$@#$n hypocrites.

I mean the few hundred vocal people don't compare to the millions of android users and front page attacks on Apple.

Also if the notch is for some FaceID that collects your data, I bet the fandroids won't criticize them for it where Apple was grilled for using FaceID as an "excuse" for the notch.

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 77
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

Please list said phones that have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND an in screen sensors, then note which of those modes is actually secure.
    But but but more shit thrown against a wall is better! right...?
    ronnclaire1watto_cobra