Google Pixel 3 XL leak shows taller notch than iPhone X coupled with big chin

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Any notch on screen (that includes iPhone) looks like crack in someones bottom part of body. It is simply ugly, weird flaw in screen. It is time to understand that rather than treating it as "cool thing".
    Nah. It’s a functional compromise that is well worth the value it enables. Get over it, I’m sure you’ve got plenty else to complain about in a product you don’t use.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 77
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    It's funny how the competition even copies Apple's bad design ideas.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    While we revel in the hypocrisy of Google (a beloved weekly activity here), let's remember that the Pixels have, thus far, sold about a million units each or thereabouts per year. In the time it will take me to type this post, Apple will have sold a quarter-million iPhones. So there's that.

Even if the Pixel 3 doubles sales (and it doesn't sound like it will, based on the bleating of the fandroidboyz) -- that's maybe 2M or thereabouts in its first year. In short, the Pixel has thus far been a major flop -- and having both a Leno-esque chin and a bigger notch (which may or may not house anything more than the front-facing camera, like most notched Android clones) makes this a fail on all fronts -- even as a copycat of the iPhone X (which it very obviously is intended to look like).

Even if the notch is justified on the Pixel 3 as it is on the iPhone X, Google will still not sell even a tiny fraction of them in a year compared to what Apple sells in a quarter.

Maybe non-tech people are finally starting to figure out that everything Google does is in sole service to one goal: collect and then sell information about the user.
    claire1SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,310member
    Any notch on screen (that includes iPhone) looks like crack in someones bottom part of body. It is simply ugly, weird flaw in screen. It is time to understand that rather than treating it as "cool thing".
    Still, I have to wonder why so many Android OS users are so fond of, and vocal about, blindly fingering the touch ID sensor on the back of those devices that had them. You seem to confirm that it is a fixation with that region of the human anatomy, not that there is anything wrong with that, albeit it isn't my cup of tea.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 77
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    Why haven't you looked rather than assuming they aren't complaining? If you have time to type you could at least take a moment to check. 

The likelihood of a notch on the XL version is being roundly ridiculed. If it turns out there's no reason other than "just because" I can't imagine how loud the complaints will get. Over 450 posts on a 5 hour old story...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/

I don't speak for the OP, but I suspect it's because they didn't have to go looking to see the fandroids bitching about the iPhone X Notch, they went out of their way to complain about it here. And normally if there were something about an Android phone, someone would stick their head in to take a swipe at the iPhone.

But now, silence.

The notch doesn't bother me either way. I didn't even mind bezels, and thought the demand from some to remove them was absurd. Then again, this one is ugly. It would look neater if it were slightly wider, and didn't come down as far. You know, like Apple's.

As for having face recognition, and fingerprint recognition, I actually see that as a bonus. Multiple verification options means either you can use the one that better suits you, or you can use both for added security (presuming the OS lets you do that). I don't like the placement of the fingerprint reader on most Android phones, including this one, I find it better to have it where the iPhone does.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Soli said:
    1) How exactly does this look like an ass crack?

2) Why do you need 7 words to say ass? If that's too vulgar for you, why not butt, buttocks, backside, behind, bum, rear end, derrière, bootyfannykeister, tochus, heinie, arse, caboose, posteriorhaunchesgluteus maximus, and countless other options that are just a single word.

3) Neither the iPhone X notch nor your intergluteal cleft are flaws. Both serve very distinct and not at all accidental purposes.

He only used 6 words for "ass" (or "arse"), since one of the words was "crack". Of course, another one was "bottom", which by itself is a perfectly adequate word for "arse". So overly wordy, and redundant.

Oh, "fanny" and "fanny crack" mean something completely different outside the US. Might want to avoid that one.

And, technically, "gluteus maximus" is two words, but that's really just nitpicking at this point.

Soli
  • Reply 47 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    anome said:
    Soli said:

2) Why do you need 7 words to say ass? If that's too vulgar for you, why not butt, buttocks, backside, behind, bum, rear end, derrière, booty, fanny, keister, tochus, heinie, arse, caboose, posterior, haunches, gluteus maximus, and countless other options that are just a single word.

3) Neither the iPhone X notch nor your intergluteal cleft are flaws. Both serve very distinct and not at all accidental purposes.

He only used 6 words for "ass" (or "arse"), since one of the words was "crack". Of course, another one was "bottom", which by itself is a perfectly adequate word for "arse". So overly wordy, and redundant.

Oh, "fanny" and "fanny crack" mean something completely different outside the US. Might want to avoid that one.

And, technically, "gluteus maximus" is two words, but that's really just nitpicking at this point.

1) I like the nitpicking. I realized that crack shouldn't be included in the number of words after a bit after I posted.

2) Fanny is interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to describe a word with the same spelling and pronunciation that has distance meanings that are yet connected in meaning. I'm honestly sure if this is a true polyseme, but I can't think of a better term.

edited August 2018 anome
  • Reply 48 of 77
    tmay said:
    Still, I have to wonder why so many Android OS users are so fond of, and vocal about, blindly fingering the touch ID sensor on the back of those devices that had them. You seem to confirm that it is a fixation with that region of the human anatomy, not that there is anything wrong with that, albeit it isn't my cup of tea.
    I think they call that anal-retentive.
    tmay
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    Soli said:

2) Why do you need 7 words to say ass? If that's too vulgar for you, why not butt, buttocks, backside, behind, bum, rear end, derrière, booty, fanny, keister, tochus, heinie, arse, caboose, posterior, haunches, gluteus maximus, and countless other options that are just a single word.

1) I like the nitpicking. I realized that crack shouldn't be included in the number of words after a bit after I posted.

2) Fanny is interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to describe a word with the same spelling and pronunciation that has distance meanings that are yet connected in meaning. I'm honestly sure if this is a true polyseme, but I can't think of a better term.

I suspect it started out meaning the same thing everywhere, but one of the meanings drifted. I hesitate to suggest which one, but a lot of these things start out as explicitly rude, and become more innocuous over time.

(Plus, it is a girl's name.)

• Reply 50 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    anome said:
    Soli said:

I suspect it started out meaning the same thing everywhere, but one of the meanings drifted. I hesitate to suggest which one, but a lot of these things start out as explicitly rude, and become more innocuous over time.

(Plus, it is a girl's name.)

Not too much data, but the path seems unambiguous: Vagina from the Brits came 4 decades before the Americans made into butt.

anome
  • Reply 51 of 77
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:
    Oh boy, this "notch" thing is really getting interesting.

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 
    3D face recognition AND a fingerprint reader?

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?
    Why not ask Essential or Sharp?

Some phones have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND in screen sensors. Options can come in handy.
    Please list said phones that have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND an in screen sensors, then note which of those modes is actually secure.
    https://www.cnet.com/reviews/huawei-porsche-design-mate-rs-preview/

How did you manage to take 'options' and somehow link them with 'security'? Or were you just throwing security in, knowing full well that it wasn't even on the table?

There are pros and cons to all biometrics. That's why options are handy.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 77
    CarnageCarnage Posts: 91member

Some OEM can update their Commercial.

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 77
    tmay said:
    If you had ever used one, you wouldn't have to wonder. Rear placed sensors are hit 100% of the time, first time, because your hand is holding the phone and 'knows' where the sensor is. Similar to how you can touch your nose although you can't see it.

Perhaps they are vocal because some people criticise them without even using one. At the end of the day it is a question of preference.

I prefer a rear mounted sensor.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 77
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    lmac said:
    It's funny how the competition even copies Apple's bad design ideas.
    If this rumor is true, I absolutely agree.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    anome said:
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    Where's the outrage about the notch?  Fandroids were getting their tighty-whities all in a bunch when Apple did it.  Suddenly it's okay now?

F$@#$n hypocrites.
    Why haven't you looked rather than assuming they aren't complaining? If you have time to type you could at least take a moment to check. 

The likelihood of a notch on the XL version is being roundly ridiculed. If it turns out there's no reason other than "just because" I can't imagine how loud the complaints will get. Over 450 posts on a 5 hour old story...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/

I don't speak for the OP, but I suspect it's because they didn't have to go looking to see the fandroids bitching about the iPhone X Notch, they went out of their way to complain about it here. And normally if there were something about an Android phone, someone would stick their head in to take a swipe at the iPhone.

We don't have to go anywhere to see Apple fans going out of their way to bitch about the probable Pixel notch, just as some Apple fans here posted their displeasure with the iPhone notch. 

Normally if there's something about the iPhone several someone's do the Whadabout Google swipe. Android fans just don't come here to complain about their Android phones as a rule. If you want to see if they're complaining and about what you need to venture outside the AI garden. You wouldn't typically go to Android Central to see what Apple fans are saying would you, altho there are a lot of Apple users on Android fan sites. 
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 77
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

If this story is true, I'd like to hear from those who said that the  iPhone X is ugly because of the "notch".
    How about the ones who are proclaiming the Pixel XL is ugly because of "the notch"? The complaints from the Android faithful are pretty loud. 

There is a rumor going about today that claims the notch is needed for Google's implementation of 3D face recognition, but I'm not at all convinced. 

This is definitely one of those “wait and see” scenarios. If there is no face recognition then what is the point of the notch?

Some phones have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND in screen sensors. Options can come in handy.
    Please list said phones that have facial recognition, rear fingerprint sensors AND an in screen sensors, then note which of those modes is actually secure.

How did you manage to take 'options' and somehow link them with 'security'? Or were you just throwing security in, knowing full well that it wasn't even on the table?

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    If you had ever used one, you wouldn't have to wonder. Rear placed sensors are hit 100% of the time, first time, because your hand is holding the phone and 'knows' where the sensor is. Similar to how you can touch your nose although you can't see it.

Perhaps they are vocal because some people criticise them without even using one. At the end of the day it is a question of preference.

So, you wax poetic about a device, the Mate RS, that has both an under screen and rear mounted touch ID sensor, then note how much you love the utility of rear sensors "because your hand is holding the phone and "knows' where the sensor is.

I'm surmising that the Mate RS has an under screen touch ID sensor precisely due to the limitations of a rear mounted sensor when the phone is sitting on a desk.

I'll take a touch ID on the front of a phone over a rear mounted sensor anytime.

BTW, you stated that there was a phone that had all three modes of unlock; a rear mounted, under screen, and Face ID sensor, yet the Mate RS only has two of those, AFAICT.
    edited August 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    anome said:
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:

F$@#$n hypocrites.

We don't have to go anywhere to see Apple fans going out of their way to bitch about the probable Pixel notch, just as some Apple fans here posted their displeasure with the iPhone notch. 

Normally if there's something about the iPhone several someone's do the Whadabout Google swipe. Android fans just don't come here to complain about their Android phones as a rule. If you want to see if they're complaining and about what you need to venture outside the AI garden. You wouldn't typically go to Android Central to see what Apple fans are saying would you, altho there are a lot of Apple users on Android fan sites. 
    I would note anecdotally from my readings on various "neutral" sites, that at the time of the iPhone launch, most Android OS devices users were very much against the notch. I would also note that many AI users were as well, as you have stated. 

Evidence has shown that actual users get over the notch in a very short amount of time, as will hesitant Pixel 3 users. 

That said, Google's notch is larger comparatively than most notches on competitive devices, and there is that chin that is also a distraction. A bit of a miss design wise, but shouldn't effect sales to "pure" Android OS user base.

• Reply 58 of 77
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Bebe said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

So, you wax poetic about a device, the Mate RS, that has both an under screen and rear mounted touch ID sensor, then note how much you love the utility of rear sensors "because your hand is holding the phone and "knows' where the sensor is.

I'm surmising that the Mate RS has an under screen touch ID sensor precisely due to the limitations of a rear mounted sensor when the phone is sitting on a desk.

I'll take a touch ID on the front of a phone over a rear mounted sensor anytime.

BTW, you stated that there was a phone that had all three modes of unlock; a rear mounted, under screen, and Face ID sensor, yet the Mate RS only has two of those, AFAICT.
    I said it was nice to have options.

You prefer front mounted, I prefer rear mounted. Preference.

The Mate RS has a rear mounted sensor, in-screen sensor and facial recognition.

Rear mounted sensors have not been a problem while mounted on a desk or in a support.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    anome said:
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:

F$@#$n hypocrites.

I would note anecdotally from my readings on various "neutral" sites, that at the time of the iPhone launch, most Android OS devices users were very much against the notch. I would also note that many AI users were as well, as you have stated. 

Evidence has shown that actual users get over the notch in a very short amount of time, as will hesitant Pixel 3 users. 

That said, Google's notch is larger comparatively than most notches on competitive devices, and there is that chin that is also a distraction. A bit of a miss design wise, but shouldn't effect sales to "pure" Android OS user base.

I think it will DEFINITELY affect the XL sales with the "normal" Pixel 3 getting a higher percentage of sales comparatively than last years models. We'll never know tho since Google doesn't break numbers down by specific model, and often not reporting numbers at all which is not all that unusual. Unless sales are spectacular (they're not) and worth crowing about why mention 'em? 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 77
    I think most Android notches can be 'turned off'.

Most people wouldn't even know it was there if they picked up a phone with the notch blacked out.

Of course, you have the forehead back but you will have that (for a time) anyway until the notch contents can be further integrated into the frame.