Samsung debuts iPhone X-challenging Galaxy Note 9 with upgraded S Pen, full-day battery & ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2018
Samsung on Thursday announced its main competition for this fall's iPhones in the form of the Galaxy Note 9, the latest version of the smartphone often credited for popularizing "phablet" sizes.

Samsung Galaxy Note9

The U.S. version of the new phone has a faster Snapdragon 845 processor, a 6.4-inch 2960x1400 OLED display, and louder AKG speakers. Other improvements include a larger, "all-day" 4,000 milliamp-hour battery, and an upgraded S Pen with Bluetooth support. The stylus can be used to do things like trigger photos, control slideshows, and play and pause videos.

The phone also supports Samsung's desktop-style DeX mode without a separate dock. Further making it a potential desktop replacement is an option of 128 or 512 gigabytes of internal storage, which can be supplemented by an upcoming 512-gigabyte micro SD card to hit 1 terabyte of space. Apple's iPhone X tops out at 256 gigabytes of storage.

The Note 9 is otherwise a modest evolution of last year's Note8, including previous features such as USB-C, dual rear cameras, a headphone jack, and a front-facing iris scanner. Samsung has however responded to complaints and moved the fingerprint reader from the side of the rear camera module to below it, making it easier to reach while reducing accidental lens smudges.

The phone's "Intelligent Camera" has the same specifications as the Note 8, but can alert people to flaws in images such as closed eyes, and will automatically optimize output in many cases based on scene and object detection.

The product should launch Aug. 24 in four colors, with preorders starting Aug. 10. The 128-gigabyte model will cost $999, while the 512-gigabyte version will be $1,249.

Apple is expected to premiere three new iPhones this fall, including 5.8-inch OLED and 6.1-inch LCD models. The most direct competition to the Note9 should be a 6.5-inch OLED model, sometimes nicknamed the "iPhone XS Plus." There's no indication however that Apple plans to offer a first-party stylus for it.
djfriar

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Oh boy, another iPhone killer on the loose. Apple can’t catch a break can they. /s
    evilutionericthehalfbeemagman1979neo-techFlytrapSolichabigracerhomie3wlymStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 36
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    It's still Samsung, it's still riddled with security issues, pathetic biometrics, that crap-tastic OS called Android, made even more crap-tastic with Samsung's TouchWiz, and ArsTechnica recently reviewed their "DeX" system on one of their new tablets and panned it quite badly.

Sorry Samsung, give it up, you produce garbage, exploding garbage if I recall... All-day battery? Coming from you and model of phone this alone would be a no-starter for me!
    StrangeDaysredgeminipalostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I'm curious if they're going to catch the same crap that Apple did for a $1000 phone. We'll see, I guess.
    dewmeneo-techracerhomie3wlymStrangeDaysalbegarcredgeminipalostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Hey, an all-day battery! Just like my X!

What a turdsicle.
    magman1979racerhomie3StrangeDaysSpamSandwichacejax805redgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I'm curious if they're going to catch the same crap that Apple did for a $1000 phone. We'll see, I guess.
    Yeah, Apple got skewered by every major news organization for the X pricing. But like many things it’s the pioneers and first wave who take most of the arrows. Samdung will probably get off without any such onslaught, like they always do as a follower. 
    StrangeDaysflashfan207redgeminipalostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    The most boring flagship phone announcement I've ever seen. 
    Same old slow Snapdragon 845 processor.. cmon.
    A11 in the iPhone X is already faster in every way.
    The only plus for Samsung is the extra RAM. 
    Just wait for Apple's next iPhone lineup sporting the A12...
    magman1979neo-techwlymStrangeDaysalbegarcdoozydozenacejax805redgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 36
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Android phones are competition for other Android phones. There is no competition for the iPhone because no matter what you do, it's running iOS instead of Android.

lkruppmagman1979neo-techracerhomie3StrangeDaysdewmeflashfan207doozydozenacejax805redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Funny how the Samsung fanboys trash Apple for things that suddenly become just fine when Samsung follows suit.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenredgeminipalostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 36
    This won't do anything to stop the bleeding at Samsung, after the disappointing S9 sales. Nothing special, and a price that matches (or exceeds) the iPhone X.

I guess not enough people were using the stylus as a.......stylus, so they tried to make it more useful by turning it into a remote?
    magman1979StrangeDaysdoozydozenacejax805redgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Apple's commitment to ever improving the iPhone materials, cameras, glass, chips, software, security, batteries and on and on pays off. It is just a superior device and, for me, the way it syncs with my MacBook, iPad, AppleWatch, AirPods and AppleTV is just magical. 

I love Apple and their attention to detail! I will never have a Samsung device in my home!  :)
    magman1979racerhomie3anantksundaramacejax805redgeminipalostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 36
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

I’m going to bet right now that the "liquid cooling" just means a heat pipe. Microsoft pulled a similar truthiness.

A lot of SoC makers and phone makers are also touting GPU performance improvements right now, I think this might mean more of the Android stack moving to Vulkan?

vadimyuryev
  • Reply 12 of 36
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    lkrupp said:
    Funny how the Samsung fanboys trash Apple for things that suddenly become just fine when Samsung follows suit.
    They are all just haters. Every Samescam customer is a hypocrite.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This is essentially a Galaxy Note 8s. No major changes from the Note 8. This doesn't bode well for Samsung since Galaxy S9 sales have been sluggish and now a new phone that's not much different from its predecessor. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Is this really challenging the iPhone X? First of all, I don't think any Android-based vendor is really challenging Apple on smartphones, but this is even more disparate since this is much a larger display. This is more of iPhone 8 Plus competitor and then whatever Plus-sized iPhone Apple announces next month.

Of course not. I imagine he defense will be that it has a larger display, more pixels, AKG speakers, a larger battery, and a digitizer because superficial specs alone should dictate cost. Utility and value are just Apple marketing buzzword.
    edited August 2018 StrangeDaysentropysdoozydozenredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Not mentioned is the little trick with the S-pen no longer needing a battery or charging. They've ripped a page from Wacom's playbook and opted for an electromagnetic field to power it. Of course that might come with a couple of new restrictions on where it can be used. 
  • Reply 16 of 36
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
     Out of all these things the only thing I want is to see 512GB iPhones.
    flashfan207watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Eyes closed detection? How weird. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Ho- hum.   No excitement 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
     Out of all these things the only thing I want is to see 512GB iPhones.
    Meh. I got the 64gb X, and I'm using about half. With iCloud Music Library and iCloud Photo Library, I just don't need as much on-board storage as I used to.
    king editor the grateredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    bushman4 said:
    Ho- hum.   No excitement 
    No excitement. Yes excrement.
    edited August 2018 lostkiwiwatto_cobra