Samsung Galaxy Home will fight smart speakers from Apple, Amazon & Google

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Samdung's engineers must be either very demoralized or amazingly lazy. As an engineer, how many times can you stand having your product manager or boss come to you with an Apple product in-hand and have them issue orders to build a clone of what Apple has already done? Maybe they'll ask for a few visual tweaks to disguise the fakery and slap their own brand and product naming on it, but it's still a lazy-ass clone and somebody else's idea.  Being an engineer, or at least a good engineer, requires a burning desire to take of technical challenges, surprise your customers, peers, and competitors with your engineering prowess, and invest years and year into continuous learning in a field that changes by the minute. Settling for a career of repetitive mediocrity and some bumbling marketeer slathering lipstick all over the pig that you just created, again, for this year's Apple wannabe product clone is something that would cause my head to literally explode. Nobody is completely devoid of pride, much less engineers. As far as anyone knows, Life 1.0 is all there is. Why blow it on working for a division of Samdung whose only strategy is to follow in Apple's footsteps and feast on the chaff they leave behind? Such a sad sad waste of human intellect and opportunity - for what? 
    cornchippropodmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Blunt said:
    They drew inspiration from a cow i guess.
    Samsung does try to milk every opportunity that comes their way.
    cornchipgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    The form is definitely interesting. I don’t think it’s terrible albeit a bit sophomoric perhaps. And not really evocative of a modern piece of sound equipment. Looks like they were aiming for a retro-futuristic type vibe? I guess with bixby on board maybe it makes sense in a “Jetson’s” kind of way. EDIT: I just wonder if when it gets really loud there’s any vibration between the feet & the surface it’s sitting on.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 24 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    cornchip said:
    The form is definitely interesting. I don’t think it’s terrible albeit a bit sophomoric perhaps. And not really evocative of a modern piece of sound equipment. Looks like they were aiming for a retro-futuristic type vibe? I guess with bixby on board maybe it makes sense in a “Jetson’s” kind of way. EDIT: I just wonder if when it gets really loud there’s any vibration between the feet & the surface it’s sitting on.
    The design is actually very retro, as in mid century modern. The shape reminds me very much of Hall China's Flare Ware atomic product line from the 1950s. The body is very similar in form and size to the Flare Ware cookie jar body and the legs remind me of the base that is used with the Flare Ware coffee pot. Take a look:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gold-Lace-by-Hall-China-Flare-Ware-Cookie-Jar-Atomic/332446034043?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=52885&meid=a769edc03d2b43d0be1c4b1aa9e1b89f&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=112671193316&itm=332446034043&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

• Reply 25 of 39
    cornchip said:
    Actually, they may have knocked it off it from B&O (whose style sensibilities have, sadly, gone down the toilet): https://www.beoplay.com/en/products/accessories/a9_cover?country=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIha7Ruvng3AIVlY-zCh1Hng0FEAQYAiABEgKalvD_BwE
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Samsung Galaxy Home
    IT’S. BEAUTIFUL. I don’t believe it. I honestly don’t believe it. It’s a joke, right? Like, this is a parody of what Samsung would create. Right? This is like what a 30 year old unmarried whore buys to compliment her nightly glass of red wine as she waxes quixotic before Bixby (which, itself, MUST–absolutely MUST–be a parody of the name of an assistant you’d actually want to have).

Spindly little legs. I love it.
    Blunt said:

dewmeclaire1muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Hmmm what a surprise! Where have we seen this before?

Milk Music
    Bixby
    SamsungPay
    Galaxy Tab
    Samsung App store

Another me-too product that will bite the dust in 6 months.

Milk Music
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Thank goodness for Samsung...Without them, we’d just take Apple for granted!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    “...considering a cheaper version.” We’ve heard that one before from Steve Ballmer.  :D
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Folio said:
    This "home made" contraption kinda tarnishes the whole Galaxy name brand. What the heck are they thinking? I'm almost embarrassed for them. Yet as an Apple stockholder I do hope they advertise it like crazy.

If flaming phones couldn't tarnish the Galaxy brand, nothing can!!
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    It looks like a pregnant Google Home with legs.
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 32 of 39
    melotron said:
    I just don't want the same pills they are eating at Samsungs design department. 

I actually do :)
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Looks like a Witch’s cauldron to me. 
    edited August 2018 claire1watto_cobracrosslad
  • Reply 34 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Carnage said:
    melotron said:
    I just don't want the same pills they are eating at Samsungs design department. 

I actually do :)

They mess you up so much you can't tell up from down so yeah, probably good pills but not safe for work obviously...
    watto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 35 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Blunt said:
    This is obviously inspired by mid century chair designs.

egg chair

and the legs are essentially the slanted mid-century furniture legs seen in half the furniture of that period.

Design is OK, though seem to take more desk space and be less stable and potentially vibrates more so a bit of a pain for a shelf speaker that's meant to be able to placed anywhere.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    This hideous thing looks like it’s going to take a dump on your credenza.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 37 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I bet those legs really help transmit gut throbbing bass /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    dewme said:
    Samdung's engineers must be either very demoralized or amazingly lazy. As an engineer, how many times can you stand having your product manager or boss come to you with an Apple product in-hand and have them issue orders to build a clone of what Apple has already done? Maybe they'll ask for a few visual tweaks to disguise the fakery and slap their own brand and product naming on it, but it's still a lazy-ass clone and somebody else's idea.  Being an engineer, or at least a good engineer, requires a burning desire to take of technical challenges, surprise your customers, peers, and competitors with your engineering prowess, and invest years and year into continuous learning in a field that changes by the minute. Settling for a career of repetitive mediocrity and some bumbling marketeer slathering lipstick all over the pig that you just created, again, for this year's Apple wannabe product clone is something that would cause my head to literally explode. Nobody is completely devoid of pride, much less engineers. As far as anyone knows, Life 1.0 is all there is. Why blow it on working for a division of Samdung whose only strategy is to follow in Apple's footsteps and feast on the chaff they leave behind? Such a sad sad waste of human intellect and opportunity - for what? 
    Yes, definitely from a Western point of view. But imitation as homage a long tradition in Asian culture. One reason why West in last 100 years has excelled in breakthroughs. And why many Asian nations have excelled more recently in things like manufacturing, ekeing out small improvements over near identical iterations, relentless pursuit of perfection. Game today has changed with HW and SW and robots.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Folio said:
    ... near identical iterations, relentless pursuit of perfection. 
    "Relentless pursuit of perfection"? Samsung?

ROTFLMAO. Your post loses all credibility, btw.
    watto_cobra