Doug Field returns to Apple's 'Project Titan' after stint at Tesla

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    What short memories people have! His experience with safety critical electric vehicle systems goes back long before Apple. He was of course chief technical officer for the design of the Segway.
    SpamSandwichRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    DAalseth said:
    My guess is Field was brought back so Mansfield can retire. Apparently he’s tried to retire twice. But bringing him back and hiring someone from Google’s Waymo project tells me this project isn’t just about software but an actual vehicle. What if Apple was designing its own autonomous/self driving vehicles to support a new ride-sharing service?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Apple is one of the few organizations that could bankroll Musk's bid. Apple and Tesla's systems would work well together. Plus while apple has a software platform, Tesla actually builds a car. That was always the problem with all this talk of an Apple Car. Apple has no knowledge or experience making things like doors or windshields or drivetrains. Tesla does. add Apple Software to Tesla's software and you'd have something fantastic.
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. CarPlay is not an autonomous/self driving vehicle software platform. I’d honestly trust Apple more building a car chassis than car software. But I don’t see them ever hooking up with Tesla because you don’t get Tesla you get Elon Musk. And sorry, Musk is no Jobs.
    Who in the past 5-10 years had experience building software for autonomous vehicles before they started getting experience building software for autonomous vehicles?

Learning by doing is a thing in emerging markets.
    Agreed. Which is why I also say just because Apple doesn’t have prior experience building a car chassis doesn’t mean they can’t learn. Apple’s pretty good a building hardware and knows a thing or two about running large supply chains. What we do know is Apple’s MO is building the whole widget, not giving technology to someone else to put in their product. Honestly if Tesla can build a car certainly Apple can. It’s not like Musk had all this experience in the automotive field. 
    Yup, agreed. People like to pump up Musk as an uber engineer like he's in there turning a wrench, but he got his start w/ angel investors and a Citysearch-like website during the dot com bubble. There's nothing he's doing at Tesla that Apple can't, if it wants to.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    My guess is Field was brought back so Mansfield can retire. Apparently he’s tried to retire twice. But bringing him back and hiring someone from Google’s Waymo project tells me this project isn’t just about software but an actual vehicle. What if Apple was designing its own autonomous/self driving vehicles to support a new ride-sharing service?
    I was just thinking the same thing. Apple is one of the few organizations that could bankroll Musk's bid. Apple and Tesla's systems would work well together. Plus while apple has a software platform, Tesla actually builds a car. That was always the problem with all this talk of an Apple Car. Apple has no knowledge or experience making things like doors or windshields or drivetrains. Tesla does. add Apple Software to Tesla's software and you'd have something fantastic.
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. 
    What? Apple has been testing self driving car systems for a number of years now. They are looking at deploying self driving shuttles between their campuses. 
    As far as Musk not being a Jobs, SpaceX? Tesla? Musk has lots of really creative ideas and has pulled them off for the most part. No one is Steve Jobs. But Musk is daring, imaginative, creative and goes through with what he promises. Musk will go down with Jobs and Edison, and Ford and a lot of other major figures in this space.
    Eh, that's a stretch IMO. Edison and Jobs and Ford exploded their industries (lighting, computers, cars). Just blew them wide open, with new offerings that linked the man to the product type. Musk hasn't done that. Starting a company or a brand isn't enough. Sure Teslas are cool electric cars, but Tesla wasn't the first or the most successful company to do this product. It might not even be here in 5 years, who knows. And while SpaceX is interesting it's not a product home run either. Nor is the lithium-ion battery factory.

History will know, but I don't see it yet.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. CarPlay is not an autonomous/self driving vehicle software platform. I’d honestly trust Apple more building a car chassis than car software. But I don’t see them ever hooking up with Tesla because you don’t get Tesla you get Elon Musk. And sorry, Musk is no Jobs.
    Who in the past 5-10 years had experience building software for autonomous vehicles before they started getting experience building software for autonomous vehicles?

Agreed. Which is why I also say just because Apple doesn’t have prior experience building a car chassis doesn’t mean they can’t learn. Apple’s pretty good a building hardware and knows a thing or two about running large supply chains. What we do know is Apple’s MO is building the whole widget, not giving technology to someone else to put in their product. Honestly if Tesla can build a car certainly Apple can. It’s not like Musk had all this experience in the automotive field. 
    Yup, agreed. People like to pump up Musk as an uber engineer like he's in there turning a wrench, but he got his start w/ angel investors and a Citysearch-like website during the dot com bubble. There's nothing he's doing at Tesla that Apple can't, if it wants to.
    Apple is MANAGING a supply chain. They require suppliers to supply them with supplies! Musk and team created from scratch a vehicle factory. Not a small engineering and management problem, which is only part of what they’ve taken so long to approach making a profit. Part of that problem is Musk himself. He needs to be restrained and focused.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. CarPlay is not an autonomous/self driving vehicle software platform. 
    And yet, you’ve spent the past few years bleating that Apple shouldn’t have bought Beats, insisting they should’ve built a streaming service in house, even though they had no experience in building a streaming service. 

The answer is that Apple will acquire the talent and/or learn how. Just as they did with phones, tablets and watches. 

Still, the inconsistency in your logic makes me wonder if there is another reason you dislike Beats. Perhaps it has something to do with the people who came with it. 
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 26 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    DAalseth said:

Apple is MANAGING a supply chain. They require suppliers to supply them with supplies! Musk and team created from scratch a vehicle factory. Not a small engineering and management problem, which is only part of what they’ve taken so long to approach making a profit. Part of that problem is Musk himself. He needs to be restrained and focused.
    Elon is personally responsible for fucking up manufacturing of the Model 3; his ego wouldn't let him recreate the successful systems that experienced automakers use, he tried to rush the Model 3 into production, and then he compounded that by overpromising and underdelivering, time and time again.

Now Tesla is at a precipice, looking for an angel. 

Elon is a fraud.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tmay said:
    DAalseth said:

Elon is personally responsible for fucking up manufacturing of the Model 3; his ego wouldn't let him recreate the successful systems that experienced automakers use, he tried to rush the Model 3 into production, and then he compounded that by overpromising and underdelivering, time and time again.

Now Tesla is at a precipice, looking for an angel. 

Elon is a fraud.

I don’t necessarily disagree with most of that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    Apple has no experience creating the kind of software needed for automobiles either. 
    What? Apple has been testing self driving car systems for a number of years now. They are looking at deploying self driving shuttles between their campuses. 
    As far as Musk not being a Jobs, SpaceX? Tesla? Musk has lots of really creative ideas and has pulled them off for the most part. No one is Steve Jobs. But Musk is daring, imaginative, creative and goes through with what he promises. Musk will go down with Jobs and Edison, and Ford and a lot of other major figures in this space.
    Sure they’ve been working on stuff but their experience in bring this to market is zilch right now. And for all we know their is a prototype vehicle they’ve been working on too.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I personally think Segways are unsafe. The self-balancing systems should more intelligently limit and manage potential speed increases when the system detects more erratic, unintented moves. I’ve seen a few people practically kill themselves on these things. And each time it’s been a combination of a lack of experience combined with bad software design. Like the way users shouldn’t be allowed to beta test Tesla’s unsafe autopilot on public roads. We need more consumer protection in place regarding both these categories. There should be no world where an autopilot system crosses the line toward oncoming traffic. ‘We’ve issued a software patch to fix that particular issue’. Feck that shit.

They should add a tag line to their brand: “Our cars are killer” 
    edited August 2018 claire1
  • Reply 30 of 44
    digitol said:
     Apple and Tesla actually have  pretty good relationship. In fact a majority of Tesla owners use iPhone. You will find that the iPhone works better with Tesla, than any other phone/brand. Tesla is a great company, that actually manufacturers and designs their products in USA. More specifically California, Michigan(Detroit), and Nevada. Many X Apple Engineers have but 1000's of hours into the Tesla. The Tesla UI was done by many of the iPad team engineers. So really if you don't support Tesla you are in a way downing Apple, and further downing true "made in the usa" companies. So in short, if you don't like apple&Tesla, you are a terrorist. :smiley:  
    Can’t tell where your comment ends and your sarcasm begins.
    DAalsethclaire1
  • Reply 31 of 44
    The service is secondary to the vechiles be made. We were told Apple were no longer making an actual vehicle. I never believed one word of that. It was as obvious as the impending iPhone.
    claire1
  • Reply 32 of 44
    DAalseth said:

Personally I don’t love Elon, but I do believe he deserves more credit than you are giving him for what he has done.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 33 of 44
    DAalseth said:

He’s been overworking himself for a number of years; he appears tired often and sometimes sick, even. He’ll wear himself out the way he’s going.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    Sure they’ve been working on stuff but their experience in bring this to market is zilch right now. And for all we know their is a prototype vehicle they’ve been working on too.
    N/M
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 35 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    DAalseth said:
    Musk will go down with Jobs, Tesla, Ford, and a lot of other major figures in this space.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Fatman said:
    There must have been a non compete in place... and he is that good that Apple is willing to risk a pay off. This hire plus the recent news of the Chinese employee stealing Apple’s secret plans all point to the possibility of my next car being an Apple product.
    Unlikely. That’s his area of expertise. You can’t enforce a contract forbidding him to work. Even an NDA would be difficult or so minimal that it wouldn’t make sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    DAalseth said:

MacPro said:
    I bet it was al agreed, part of the joint plan and the so-called spat between Tesla and Apple was a cover-up.  Maybe Apple is the secret sugar daddy for Musk going private?  OK, I haven't had my coffee yet ;)

The Saudis are the ones providing Musk with billions to go private, if it’s approved.
    After the conniption fit the Saudis are having with Canada, I think a lot of people and companies around the world are having second thoughts about dealing with them. They may have deep pockets but those pockets are in a pair of crazypants. I don't think you can trust them not to do something stupid. I would not take money from them if there was any other option. Too many possible strings. 

Apple would never bankroll Tesla. What for? They have practically nothing of value in terms of IP. And they are terrible at ramping up production and building vehicles. Tesla's knowledge of building cars is only "slightly" above Apple, and light years behind the established automakers. One only has to look at how they screwed up the Model 3 ramp up for proof. Or look at the Model S on a hoist. They are so poorly built that no two vehicles are identical (esp true of the first few years). Autobody shops HATE working on them because of this inconsistency. How are you supposed to repair a vehicle when it doesn't even confirm to the specifications it's supposedly built to? Shops I've talked to (that specialize in high-end and aluminum vehicles) say the Model S reminds them of kit cars.

If Apple partners with an automaker I'm convinced it would be VW or BMW.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    DAalseth said:

Agreed. I'm sick of the nonsense "Apple can't do that" logic because Apple has never been in some market. I can think of at least 2 product categories Apple was new in and "knew nothing about" that Apple entered and succeeded in. These comments are ridiculous.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    digitol said:
     Apple and Tesla actually have  pretty good relationship. In fact a majority of Tesla owners use iPhone. You will find that the iPhone works better with Tesla, than any other phone/brand. Tesla is a great company, that actually manufacturers and designs their products in USA. More specifically California, Michigan(Detroit), and Nevada. Many X Apple Engineers have but 1000's of hours into the Tesla. The Tesla UI was done by many of the iPad team engineers. So really if you don't support Tesla you are in a way downing Apple, and further downing true "made in the usa" companies. So in short, if you don't like apple&Tesla, you are a terrorist. :smiley:  
    But Telsa doesn't have CarPlay or Apple Music.   Apple seems like the only company that can save Tesla from the shorts  Elon's Tweeting.
    But it doesn't seem like a very Apple thing to spend 20-50 Billion to buy either Buy Tesla or invest in Tesla. (And yes Elon is very visionary but very erratic too).
  • Reply 40 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    Musk says that Telsa will be able to pull off Full Self Driving using just his camera based visionAI while everyone else like Waymo says that you need LIDAR which makes it prohibitively expensive to put on private passenger automobiles (plus the oversized hardware looks horrible).   This seems to limit LIDAR to self driving car services.    I believe that Apple has the skill's to both miniaturize LIDAR and make it less expensive.   This would put any Apple Car in first place with customers.  So I do hope they bring Titan out of deep sleep and make an EV or Apple takes a major stake in Tesla and brings their skills to help Tesla.