Apple's iPhone X bests Samsung's new Galaxy Note 9 in benchmark testing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I’m curious what the ratio of software to hardware is in Apple’s benefit in their performance superiority. Like, how much is it because Android is a resource hogging, inefficient OS compared to iOS; and how much is because the silicon is superior to everyone else on the market? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    payeco said:
    I’m curious what the ratio of software to hardware is in Apple’s benefit in their performance superiority. Like, how much is it because Android is a resource hogging, inefficient OS compared to iOS; and how much is because the silicon is superior to everyone else on the market? 
    There was a video of the iPhone 6 beating the S8 in real world performance so this knockoff is probably comparable to iPhone 7.
    Bluntmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    nunzy said:
    Specs mean nothing. Apple has the best user experience no matter what the specs say. Apple carefully integrates the software and the hardware so it seems like it is faster.
    Seems like it’s faster ? 
    nunzywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    slurpy said:
    tipoo said:
    Their silicon team continues to impress me, but I start to wonder what that gets us when iOS has been dropping frames on animations since iOS7, and with iOS11 started losing out in memory residency tests for multitasking too. 

Hopefully 12 fixes all this and it doesn't go back in future versions, but the silicon team must hate how much the software team hides their performance. The near doubled single core score is a silicon junkies curiosity but it should have been putting the UX way further ahead than it is.

I see Samsungs "water cooling" again just meant a heat pipe though. 
    I can't relate to this comment at all. My iPhone 7 is buttery smooth, I've never noticed any skipped animation or interface lag. 

And some people absolutely can't, but Apple came out and said it was a bug in the next frame prefetching. I'm glad its being fixed, but for people who notice, that was a slightly annoying 4 years. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/202/

Part of the reason I moved to iOS was in fact its framerate performance vs Android, in its first six versions. 

Edit: Actually I forgot they even addressed it semi-directly in the iOS12 keynote by talking about how the processor ramps up faster when a scroll is detected 

edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    payeco said:

Benchmarks are testing the silicon. Which is absolutely superior to everyone out there. User experience of the device is a combination of both. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    payeco said:
    The OS shouldn't interfere much with low level benchmarks like Geekbench, while graphics test that use Metal may benefit from that if Vulkan isn't used on Android. 

The silicon is flat superior though on the CPU, Apple makes 6-wide processor cores while everyone else was playing with 2-4, and are still on 4-wide in most cases. Except for that last Exynos, but that seemed to take too much power and couldn't put the performance down on the ground. People have kept saying iPhones winning on benchmarks was because iOS was light and it did it with lesser hardware, but it was also because the silicon was just better and bigger. Less cores, but each twice as big as the competition, that's what some youtubers never understood lol. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Stay tuned to AppleInsider for more on Samsung's Note 9. We will be putting the new handset through the paces in the coming weeks, including in-depth testing and real-world comparisons with Apple's latest hardware.
    Why bother...
    Just filling in the time till the September rollout.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59

In June, an unverified Geekbench entry saw a mystery "iPhone11,2" device with "A12" CPU turn in respective single- and multi-core scores of 4,673 and 10,912, and a compute score of 21,691. The figures are a significant improvement from iPhone X, which averages 4,206 and 10,128 in single- and multi-core tests, respectively, and a Compute score of 15,234.

There wasn't much in the article that was notable (And that's not meant as a criticism ai!) -- until I came to this...

While by most criteria, those ARE a "significant improvement", aren't they some of the smallest ever recorded for a new iPhone?

(And no, I didn't go back and check year by year.  Nor do I mean to disparage Apple.  I mean it rather as a question.)
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 29 of 59
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    You can hook the Note 9 up to a bigger screen with an hdmi cable and run a limiteded sort of Windows like OS. That's what i read in the newspaper today. I bet it will look like shit and is totally useless but hey it's in there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,685member
    Blunt said:
    You can hook the Note 9 up to a bigger screen with an hdmi cable and run a limiteded sort of Windows like OS. That's what i read in the newspaper today. I bet it will look like shit and is totally useless but hey it's in there.
    This isn't new. The new part is that you don't need the Samsung dock to make it work and is actually a result of Huawei's own desktop mode which which debuted last year and took Samsung to task for requiring a dock (at significant cost).

It's somewhat limited but if you are in a squeeze without a PC it can save the day.

muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 59
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    KITA said:

Moving on to graphics testing, the publication ran the demanding 3DMark Slingshot Extreme 3.1 test to find the Note 9 best its S9+ forebear with a score of 4,639. Apple and OnePlus both beat Samsung with scores of 4,994 and 5,124, respectively. It appears 3DMark has optimized its test suite since Tom's last ran the evaluation, as the S9+ previously hit a tally of 5,793, while the iPhone X notched 3,998.
    Sustained performance is the elephant in the room. We should wait until the Note 9 is properly tested before jumping to any conclusions. Clearly the iPhone can't even sustain anything close to that score.

This is the Graphics score of the test ,not the combined score (Physics is excluded):

The OnePlus 6 has, by far, the best Snapdragon 845 implementation with very little throttling (some of the gaming phones with high binned / overclocked SoCs might be even better, but they have yet to be tested). It's also important to note that this test is OpenGL on Android and Metal on iOS. Newer games, such as Fortnite, use Vulkan.

I don't think the A12 will overtake that level of GPU performance, Qualcomm has a clear lead, and the 7nm Snapdragon 855 is only 5~6 months away (entered mass production a month or so back).
    But Apple's animation make iPhone feel snappier. That's more important.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Stay tuned to AppleInsider for more on Samsung's Note 9. We will be putting the new handset through the paces in the coming weeks, including in-depth testing and real-world comparisons with Apple's latest hardware.
    Why bother...
    Exactly. Samsung should die screaming in a fire created by their own defective batteries.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    This isn't new. The new part is that you don't need the Samsung dock to make it work and is actually a result of Huawei's own desktop mode which which debuted last year and took Samsung to task for requiring a dock (at significant cost).

It's somewhat limited but if you are in a squeeze without a PC it can save the day.

It would be interesting to see what an eGPU would do for that...

I see the future being just popping your iPhone into a simple dock that adds keyboard, mouse, screen, and external storage...  Technically its all doable....   Today.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:

So, you see people “in a squeeze without a PC” but they happen to have a monitor, HDMI cable, keyboard and mouse lying around to connect together?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:

So, you see people “in a squeeze without a PC” but they happen to have a monitor, HDMI cable, keyboard and mouse lying around to connect together?
    No. Just a cable.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:

No. Just a cable.
    And are people actually using this? Any good stories about it saving the day online? Asking for a friend.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    KITA said:

Moving on to graphics testing, the publication ran the demanding 3DMark Slingshot Extreme 3.1 test to find the Note 9 best its S9+ forebear with a score of 4,639. Apple and OnePlus both beat Samsung with scores of 4,994 and 5,124, respectively. It appears 3DMark has optimized its test suite since Tom's last ran the evaluation, as the S9+ previously hit a tally of 5,793, while the iPhone X notched 3,998.
    Sustained performance is the elephant in the room. We should wait until the Note 9 is properly tested before jumping to any conclusions. Clearly the iPhone can't even sustain anything close to that score.

This is the Graphics score of the test ,not the combined score (Physics is excluded):

The OnePlus 6 has, by far, the best Snapdragon 845 implementation with very little throttling (some of the gaming phones with high binned / overclocked SoCs might be even better, but they have yet to be tested). It's also important to note that this test is OpenGL on Android and Metal on iOS. Newer games, such as Fortnite, use Vulkan.

I don't think the A12 will overtake that level of GPU performance, Qualcomm has a clear lead, and the 7nm Snapdragon 855 is only 5~6 months away (entered mass production a month or so back).
    Physics scores almost entirely depend on number of cores, not their individual performance. It like using a 22 Core Xeon for movie editing, where the slow cores will render much faster than the 8 Core CPU with much faster cores.

but the physics test has been criticized for being unrepresentative. Almost no software uses 8 cores on Android devices. So this test doesn’t show much of use. Apple, for example, uses Metal for physics, but this test doesn’t. So it’s useless on iOS devices.
    ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:

No. Just a cable.
    And are people actually using this? Any good stories about it saving the day online? Asking for a friend.
    What makes you think people wouldn't use it?

It's not going to be your first option if there are better ones available but if you find yourself needing that kind of option, it's nice to have it to hand.

Huawei is also using its cloud services in China to to run a virtualized Windows 10 through some of its phone users in China. That service might come to Europe too at some point.
    edited August 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 59
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:

No. Just a cable.

So absolutely useless then. A parlor trick to convince elitist users that they're actually accomplishing something.

Edited: Don't you mean a cable and a monitor? Please explain what kind of situation you'd find yourself in where there's a spare monitor handy that's not already connected to a much more capable PC?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 59
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    tmay said:
    KITA said:

Funny how you always seem to see an"elephant in the room" named "Sustained Performance", as if that is the only metric of value for any phone. 

Enjoy your day, 
    It's not the only metric, but sustained graphics performance is critical for gaming, AR or other 3D applications that are open for more than ~30 seconds.

A lot of the important metrics of a phone are rarely discussed. It's mostly just peak performance of an isolated Geekbench CPU test.
    muthuk_vanalingam