Your revised MWSF predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After all the rumors I thought another thread might be a good idea. Let's reference this in a few weeks to see who was right.

After recent info/rumor, I am going to say (not just what I want mind you) these are my offical predictions:

1. New flat-screen iMac

---up to 900mhz G3

---15" TFT

---top model with SuperDrive

2. PowerMac G5

--rumored speeds of 1.2, 1.4, 1.6

--DDR

--faster BUS

3. TiBook speed bump to around 850MHZ

--cd-rw/dvd combo drive

4. ---Final Cut Pro X

---Photoshop for X

---10.2 demo

I also think a possible ibook speed bump. I'm not convinced on the iphoto thing. Of course I'm sure there will be more. This is the really hot stuff though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    final cut pro is for next week's DV expo
  • Reply 2 of 101
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    true.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Flat-screen iMac

up to 1 Ghz G3

128-256 RAM

60-80 MB HD

15" TFT

slightly better video card

combo drive top end and maybe SuperDrive

PowerMac G5

933, 1.2, 1.4 dual 933

faster BUS (top two models only)

low volume of top end CPUs will cause a shipping delay

17", 19" 22" LCDs

Photoshop for X demo (typical shootout)
  • Reply 4 of 101
    If there is an ibook bump I will be extremely pissed as I just ordered a new 600.. not to mention it just came out.

Sheeeeeeeesh.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    I don't believe the G5 rumors. I believe MSWF will be the 'Gigahetz Expo'. We'll see Ghz+ G4s and maybe even G3s.

LCDs are still pricey. If there is an LCD iMac it will be a smaller screen, around 14", which BTW, it perfectly acceptable as long as the resolution is like on the Pismo. I have a Pismo and its 14" LCD is more than adequate for a consumer desktop system.

I think the LCD iMac may appear later in the year or Apple will offer it only as a higher end iMac, with the CRT model iMac sticking around on the low end for education sales and 'beginner' sales.

Absolutely NO SuperDrive in the iMac. Get over that fantasy. It will be another 6 months minimum for the iMac to get a SuperDrive.

SuperDrive probably will appear on a $1999 model PowerMac. It will basically be a low-end PowerMac plus the cost of the SuperDrive.

Other than that, I won't speculate on specs.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    PowerMac G5

-speeds of 1.0,1.2, and 1.4 GHz (maybe SP 1.0 SP 1.4 MP 1.2 if they have dual config)

-new faster bus (400 MHz)

-DDR RAM (not sure which variant....most likely it will be PC2100, however the MPC 8540 lists support for DDR333 so that could be a sign, if so Apple would have a lead on the competition)

-Hyper Transport

-FireWire 2, USB 2.0, Gigawire

-new case design w/2 full size drive bays (most likely silver)

I think speeds will be lowered a tad to make sure they don't have any problems getting the machines out. Apple doesn't want to risk it if the 1.6 GHz chips are not available.

iMac

-probably coming at MWTY

-new form factor

-IBM Sahara processor

-faster bus

-LCD

-Super Drive option

-GeForce2 MX

Powerbook G4

-coming at MWTY

-Radeon Mobility 7500 or new nVidia NV17 (??) mobile GPU

-combo drive

-Apollo 7460 G4 (speeds 1 GHz+)

-higher resolution

iBook

-coming in spring

-IBM Sahara processor

-better graphics
  • Reply 7 of 101
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I was gunna reply to this a little while ago but I was on a G4 at the Apple Store at Tice's Corner and a salesman was about to sell someone a G4 and I didn't wanna have the costomer see G5.... anyway...

I still don't think we'll see the G5 at MWSF. Probably G4s past 1GHz and there better be new iMacs.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    I just can't see apple releasing the superdrive on a non-G4 mac...

They would have to re-write iDVD to NOT take advantage of Altivec, which it is heavily relying on now... and it could potentially take many hours to encode something.

• Reply 9 of 101
    i think the imacs would only sport a superdrive if the rumors of a g4 powered imac are true... even then though its a bit of a stretch and would only be seen in the high end imac... it would help mac apple's "digital hub" a little more equal along the product matrix though
  • Reply 10 of 101
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    i think we'll see new imacs, but no G5.......

when's MWSF?
  • Reply 11 of 101
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Blizaine said:

[quote]I just can't see apple releasing the superdrive on a non-G4 mac...

They would have to re-write iDVD to NOT take advantage of Altivec, which it is heavily relying on now... and it could potentially take many hours to encode something.<hr></blockquote>

You're wrong. iDVD will not have to be rewritten. All SIMD-aware programs run fine on non-SIMD processors like the G3. You don't have to have a non-SIMD and a SIMD version of the same program --the SIMD version will do for both G3 and G4 processors.

And yes, the iDVD benefits greatly, as most other high-end programs do (like PS, Illustrator, InDesign...) from SIMD. That's why Motorola designed it in the first place. Its a very powerful and elegant solution.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Two things. Alternatively, nothing that I want, or nothing I can afford.

Whatever happens, I'm waiting for default OSX.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Ok, here it goes. I am going with my gut feeling here:

MYSF:

PowerMac G5:

Price: 1599 2199 2999

Processor G5: 1.0Ghz 1.4Ghz (2)1.2 Ghz

DDR RAM: 256MB 512MB 512MB

HD Storage: 60GB 80GB 2x60GB

Video Radeon: 32MB Dual64 Dual64

Optical: SuperDrive

Others: USB2.0(?), Firewire2, AirPort Standard(?), 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet, etc etc.

iMac2 LCD:

Price: 899 1099 1299

Processor G4: 867Mhz 867Mhz 867Mhz

PC133 RAM: 256MB 256MB 256MB

HD Storage: 40GB 60GB 80GB

Video Radeon: 32MB 32MB 32MB

Optical: CDRW Combo Super

Others: USB, Firewire, AirPort, 10/100BaseT Ethernet, 15" LCD Monitor, software including new iApp, Second Monitor Support(?).

New iDevice (I am thinking the iCamcorder. What else could possibly supplement the new iMac than that???)

New Displays:

17" LCD $499

19" LCD $799

22" LCD $1699

Seybold:

OS 10.2 comes out. Standard on all Macs from then on out. Boots into 10 nativily (sp?).

PowerBook G4:

Price: 1999 2699

Processor G4: 667Mhz 800Mhz

PC133 RAM: 256MB 512MB

HD Storage: 30GB 40GB

Video Radeon: 32MB 32MB

Optical: Combo Combo

Others: USB2.0(?), Firewire2, AirPort Standard, 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet, PC Slot, New Battery Type(?), Second Monitor Support

iBook:

Price: 1099 1299 1499

Processor G3: 750Mhz Across the Board

PC100 RAM: 256MB 256MB 256MB

HD Storage: 20GB 30GB 40GB

Video RageMob: 16MB 16MB 16MB

Optical: DVDRom CD-RW Combo

Others: USB, Firewire, Airport Standard, 10/100BaseT Ethernet, 56K Modem, New Battery Type(?), software including new iApp, Second Monitor Support (?)

iPod:

Price Reduction: 299

I know that these seem a little over the top considering Apple's stance as of recent. However I really think that these sort of things will happen, give the mood of Apple as of recent. The forray into retail, the iPod, the discounts as of recent. It all points to some serious changes.

Even if I am wrong, it still looks like a plausable lineup given today's prices.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    no wonder people get so dissapointed after the expos now. look at these predicitions. there is no chance in hell Apple could ever live up to half of them
  • Reply 15 of 101
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>no wonder people get so dissapointed after the expos now. look at these predicitions. there is no chance in hell Apple could ever live up to half of them</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really. They are wishful but I don't think overly, at not Mike's.

I think the iMac could get the G4 since Moto has a buch and it won't scale well enough for the towers. (Apollo rumored to be a portable chip)

If the G5 does come out, I think Mike's assesment is close.

not sure about the monitor prices, but I read they might debut new monitors therfore reducing the prices somewhat on existing ones.

So, Mike's seems most reasonable and I hope true. I can't wait to swipe a G5 + cinema display!!
  • Reply 16 of 101
    tltl Posts: 33member
    iMacs:

about the same price points, maybe 100$ cheaper

700, 800, 800 Sahara G3s

CDRW, CDRW, Combo

128, 256, 256

30, 40, 60

Same case

PowerMacs:

same prices

933, 1.0, 2x933 7460s

Combo, Super, Super

256, 256, 512 DDR

40, 60, 80

same form. usb1, firewire1.

Software:

PhotoshopX

ASS (HA apple script studio) finally released

reviews of iPod, Retail stores - everything doing better than expected.

And, of course, Steve comes riding out onto the stage on a Ginger-mobile and wows the crowd with an Apple bumper sticker he put on it.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: tl ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 101
    Mike, I don't think Apple will be updating that many (all?) their products. I'm expecting new Power Macs and iMacs.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    tltl Posts: 33member
    In Mike's post he specified that the 'Books will be updated at Seybold.

Read it carefully
  • Reply 19 of 101
    [quote]Originally posted by tl:

<strong>In Mike's post he specified that the 'Books will be updated at Seybold.

Read it carefully</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't Seybold a pro event? Why they release a new iBook there?
  • Reply 20 of 101
    [quote]bout the same price points, maybe 100$ cheaper

700, 800, 800 Sahara G3s

CDRW, CDRW, Combo

128, 256, 256

30, 40, 60

Same case
    <hr></blockquote>

Who would buy the iMacs if they still had the same case. It really is a time for a change and I'm sure Apple knows that.