All three 2018 iPhones to support wireless charging, AirPower mat to cost $150, rumors say...

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
As predicted Apple's 5.8-, 6.1-, and 6.5-inch iPhones shipping this fall should all offer wireless charging, and the company's long-delayed AirPower mat should finally ship around the same time for $150, reports claim.

AirPower

Apple engineers are still in the process of "debugging" the mat, Loveios said on Monday, citing supply chain sources for the Chinese-language site Chongdiantou. That would be consistent with a recent Bloomberg report, which said that Apple is aiming for a September window.

The earlier story blamed delays on "technical hurdles." Apple is believed to be using a more advanced coil system than most Qi-compatible wireless chargers, likely to handle the AirPower's ability to charge several different kinds of devices regardless of which order they're in on the mat.

When it was first revealed last year, the promise of the AirPower was an accessory that could charge iPhones, Apple Watches, and a still-unreleased wireless AirPods case. The mat will be able to handle up to three devices simultaneously.

That could be appealing to people who want to avoid hooking up multiple Lightning cables when they charge at night, and/or have a more convenient option when they travel.

It's typically been assumed that all of this fall's iPhones would support wireless charging, given compatiblity in the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X. The 6.1-inch model is expected to be a "budget" LCD device though, and dropping wireless would be one way to keep prices down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    The AirPower mat is a unicorn. 
    albegarcking editor the gratelkruppanantksundaramcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    When 2017 iPhones 8/Plus supported wireless charging than why anyone doubt for 2018 iPhones and write article on it. and wireless mat, will hear more next month.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Spending $150 on a charging mat is absolutely laughable. Since when did it become so hard to plug a wire into your phone to charge it? 
    cornchiplukeirogifan_new
  • Reply 4 of 30
    mac-daddy said:
    Spending $150 on a charging mat is absolutely laughable. Since when did it become so hard to plug a wire into your phone to charge it? 
    Who said it was hard to plug in a cable?

the convenience of not having to chase around 3 different cables, in the dark, while someone else is asleep in the same bed and fumbling around with trying to plug in a cable would be nice. 

Yeah, $150 is a little steep, but this is Apple we’re talking about. $80 is high for their round Apple Watch charger, but my wife loves her’s. And that only charges 1 Watch at a time. So, charging 3 things for less than twice is much isn’t so outrageous. 
    albegarcnetroxStrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    BtheBBtheB Posts: 6member
    Obviously, a flat mat will not work for those of us with the stainless steel mesh loop band on our watch.
    Also, many of us with Apple Watch really appreciate its' night-clock appearance, when the watch is charging in a more vertical position.
    I doubt that either of those features will exist with this 'flat-mat' design... too bad.
    albegarcracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mac-daddy said:
    Nonsense. It's about convenience, especially while traveling. I'll gladly toss one of these into my bag rather than multiple chargers and cables. 
    djkfisheralbegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

BtheB said:
    Obviously, a flat mat will not work for those of us with the stainless steel mesh loop band on our watch.
    Also, many of us with Apple Watch really appreciate its' night-clock appearance, when the watch is charging in a more vertical position.
    I doubt that either of those features will exist with this 'flat-mat' design... too bad.
    Compromise, in all things. I think the primary use design consideration here in convenience.
    djkfisherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    At $150, the next generation of AirPods better ship exclusively with the inductive charging case or people will be looking at $150 + a case to get the triple-play benefit. $150 is going to be a tough sell all around but $150+ to get no-plugs for AirPods, phone and watch is going to be even more difficult.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mac-daddy said:
    Laughable for you maybe. What makes your opinion the last word on the subject? Apple will sell tons of them and I will be one of the first in line for my iPhone 8 and Watch. A few premium luxury automobiles are advertising wireless charging shelves in their vehicles. Get in the car and drop your iPhone on the charging shelf and off you go. 
    djkfisherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    pigybank said:
    The AirPower mat is a made of unicorn. 

Fixed that for you...

I expect we'll see it at the phone launch next month. I'll also be interested to see what else it works with. iPads? Can you change anything else with it while charging an iPad on it? I also think we'll see the next-gen AirPods, possibly shipping exclusively with the AirPower charging case. (Not the mat, obviously.) I expect that will mean a price increase for the new AirPods, so possibly they'll keep selling the old ones, and the standalone charging case.

Then again, what do I know? I'm frequently wrong, or at least off by a couple of years. I have no information more than anyone else here.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I can install 10 Ikea wireless chargers around the house for the same price.
    edited August 2018 grifmxairnerd
  • Reply 12 of 30
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    mac-daddy said:
    Nonsense. It's about convenience, especially while traveling. I'll gladly toss one of these into my bag rather than multiple chargers and cables. 
    How do you charge your iPad with this?  Oh, wait...need another charger in that bag!  So much for convenience.
    edited August 2018 dhawkins541
  • Reply 13 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Laughable for you maybe. What makes your opinion the last word on the subject? Apple will sell tons of them and I will be one of the first in line for my iPhone 8 and Watch. A few premium luxury automobiles are advertising wireless charging shelves in their vehicles. Get in the car and drop your iPhone on the charging shelf and off you go. 
    Yeah, off you go without CarPlay because you need to be plugged in for CarPlay!!!!  Laughable!!!
    edited August 2018 airnerd
  • Reply 14 of 30
    fallenjt said:
    Now THAT's convenience!  :)
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 15 of 30
    deminsd said:
    mac-daddy said:
    How do you charge your iPad with this?  Oh, wait...need another charger in that bag!  So much for convenience.
    So 4 cables and chargers is more convenient than 2?

deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Yeah, off you go without CarPlay because you need to be plugged in for CarPlay!!!!  Laughable!!!
    Wireless CarPlay is a thing. 

deminsd said:
    fallenjt said:
    I’m hoping you forgot the sarcasm tag. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    ym73ym73 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    mac-daddy said:
    Who said it was hard to plug in a cable?

the convenience of not having to chase around 3 different cables, in the dark, while someone else is asleep in the same bed and fumbling around with trying to plug in a cable would be nice. 

Yeah, $150 is a little steep, but this is Apple we’re talking about. $80 is high for their round Apple Watch charger, but my wife loves her’s. And that only charges 1 Watch at a time. So, charging 3 things for less than twice is much isn’t so outrageous. 
    I still thing the price is outrageous considering QI chargers are available for under $20 that will charge the iphone just fine. I understand that these are more advanced since it can detect the devices anywhere on the mat and most QI are picking about the placement of the devices. Given all that $150 for the mat and $80 for the Apple watch charger are outrageous amounts. I saw several charging pads that can charge an iphone and apple watch at the same time for under $30. The Apple version will look better and will probably work better, but is it really worth $120 more?
    grifmxairnerd
  • Reply 17 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    It is his opinion and I'm sure plenty of people agree with him. I'm also sure plenty of people with agree with you and Apple will sell a ton of these. However, if Apple fans actually paid attention to value for the money they would realize how insanely overpriced some Apple products really are. There are products available right now on Amazon that can charge an Iphone and apple watch at the same time for under $30. The ability to place a device anywhere on the mat does add a little extra convenience. However, you are mostly getting prettier packaging for $120 more. I'm sure once the case for wireless airpod charging is released, there will be an QI charger available that will charge all three things at the same time will become available and will cost half or less compared to Apple's price.  
    grifmxmuthuk_vanalingamrogifan_newairnerd
  • Reply 18 of 30
    deminsd said:
    fallenjt said:
    That really is convenience. The ability to charge anywhere in the house for a price of a singe Apple charger. What would be more convenient is if the wireless chargers were built into the furniture so you wouldn't have visible cables everywhere. When QI charging came around I saw a picture of a guy who added a qi charger to a desk and it looked great. I'm not sure if any furniture manufacturers are doing this now. 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    By the time the AirPower mat ships, we’ll have REAL wireless power available on all other devices.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    wood1208 said:
    When 2017 iPhones 8/Plus supported wireless charging than why anyone doubt for 2018 iPhones and write article on it. and wireless mat, will hear more next month.
    ?