Apple pulls iOS 12 beta 7 OTA update amid performance woes

Posted:
in iOS
The latest iOS 12 beta 7 over-the-air update has been made temporarily unavailable as Apple investigates reports of unexpected performance issues associated with the release.

iOS 12 beta

The company pulled access to OTA beta 7 downloads about three hours after the update went live on Monday.

While Apple has not issued a statement on the matter, developers testing the seventh iOS 12 beta have reported seemingly widespread bugs and system degradations. Common complaints include longer than normal app launch times, sluggish lock screen animations, non-functioning lock screen and Notification Center assets, and more.

Apple has apparently taken notice, pulling the OTA update from its servers. Developers still have access to the IPSW file, which is available for download and manual installation via Apple's Developer website.

The cause of the performance issues is unknown at this time, and it is unclear when Apple intends to release a patched version of the software. The bug or bugs likely impact the release timeline of an expected public beta build.

Apple seeded iOS 12 beta 7 earlier today with minor improvements and bug fixes.

As part of its release notes, Apple announced Group FaceTime, a marquee iOS 12 and macOS Mojave feature that will allow up to 32 participants to take part in a FaceTime call, will not be ready in time for launch. The feature "has been removed from the initial release of iOS 12 and will ship in a future software update later this fall," Apple said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    It looks like the icon cache was destroyed after the update. Every app froze for a few seconds on the first launch, but leaving the device idle for some time fixed all the apps.
    longpathboxcatcherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Yep, I experienced all of that. Some apps took forever to launch right after the update, but it's all running smoothly now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    That's why they call it a BETA. Watch the haters swarm, though.
    longpathfreethinkingMisterKit
  • Reply 4 of 30
    i thought Cook's main selling point of iOS 12 update was stabliity and from my recollection, this is probably the least stable I've seen in a major update in beta, esp. the 7th version.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    No problems here on iPhone 7. Working great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I experienced that as well. All is good now, though. And yeah, I’m sure there will be a few who will say iOS 12 is doomed because of this “hiccup”  :D
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Monstieur said:
    It looks like the icon cache was destroyed after the update. Every app froze for a few seconds on the first launch, but leaving the device idle for some time fixed all the apps.
    The descriptions given by others who saw the issue occur, followed by it clearing up on its own is consistent with your assessment. Hopefully this won't badly throw off the delivery schedule of the final version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I think I'll just turn Automatic (OS) Updates off for now.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    markbyrn said:
    i thought Cook's main selling point of iOS 12 update was stabliity and from my recollection, this is probably the least stable I've seen in a major update in beta, esp. the 7th version.
    Emphasize BETA.

this is a non-issue.  People just love to make it bigger than it really is.
    longpathlamboaudi4mike1jbishop1039watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

Obviously not a non-issue if Apple pulled it.
    boxcatcherelijahg
  • Reply 11 of 30
    No issues so far yet on my iPhone X and the newest iPad. Pretty stable. Don't know when I'll see the issue.  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I think I'll just turn Automatic (OS) Updates off for now.
    Maybe you shouldn't be running a beta version of iOS if you don't want to be a beta tester?
    elijahgnetmagemacseekerlamboaudi4mike1jbishop1039watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

Nothing usual about finding bugs in Beta software from any software developer. The whole point of a Beta is to shake out any remaining issues before the final release.

So yeah, it is a non-issue. This is how it's suppose to work in Beta.
    edited August 2018 dewmenetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30

zhtway said:
    No issues so far yet on my iPhone X and the newest iPad. Pretty stable. Don't know when I'll see the issue.  B)
    Are you testing Beta software in your iPhone and iPad?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    markbyrn said:
    The general impression is that iOS 12 beta has been the most stable version so far.
    dewmelongpathlamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I haven’t encountered any new issues with this beta on my iPad Pro 12.9”. I’ll check it out on my iPod 6th gen to see how it fares. I wouldn’t read too much into experiencing a regression on a beta, regardless of this being the 7th one. With continuous integration Apple could easily do a release every day. The number of changes is likely very small so finding the offending code should be easy. If anyone has a repro scenario that induces the faulty behavior, please post it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    kevin kee said:
    markbyrn said:
    The general impression is that iOS 12 beta has been the most stable version so far.
    Definitely agree. Running the previous beta on my daily driver, and I’d say it’s now on par with, or even better than iOS 11 ever was.

Snappy, stable and virtually bug-free. Excited to see how much more performance they can squeeze out of it as we get closer to the final version.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    nunzy said:
    That's why they call it a BETA. Watch the haters swarm, though.
    Yup i counted several morons who have done that, they are idiots, no freaking clue what beta really means! 
    commentzillamike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    sflocal said:
    markbyrn said:
    Emphasize BETA.

Nothing usual about finding bugs in Beta software from any software developer. The whole point of a Beta is to shake out any remaining issues before the final release.

So yeah, it is a non-issue. This is how it's suppose to work in Beta.
    So beta releases usually get released and then pulled a few hours later? I don’t think so,
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 30
    markbyrn said:
    Dude. What does that general statement mean? Have you heard of the concept ‘beta’? iOS12 has been fantastic so far. If a developer beta happens to be buggy, it has nothing to do with “Tim Cook’s selling point”.
    If you can’t handle ‘beta’, wait for the final version. Especially don’t download developer betas and choose the public beta which they retracted.
    watto_cobra