All three 2018 iPhones to support wireless charging, AirPower mat to cost $150, rumors say...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Spending $150 on a charging mat is absolutely laughable. Since when did it become so hard to plug a wire into your phone to charge it? 
    Laughable for you maybe. What makes your opinion the last word on the subject? Apple will sell tons of them and I will be one of the first in line for my iPhone 8 and Watch. A few premium luxury automobiles are advertising wireless charging shelves in their vehicles. Get in the car and drop your iPhone on the charging shelf and off you go. 
    I don’t really consider a Toyota Camry or a Chevrolet Cruze a luxury automobile. Your definition is probably different than mine and, for you, those are the type of cars you look to when you are wanting a luxury automobile. So don’t try and spin this as, because Apple brought out a wireless phone this past year, all of a sudden only top tier car manufacturers are starting to put wireless charging into their cars. Wireless charging has been available for a few years in cars and well before Apple announced wireless charging phones. 

Now! Will Apple bring wireless charging to the mainstream like they do with most of the things they introduce? Absolutely! Apple almost always does it right and makes things people want and use and would not live without. This is why, to me, Apple is so great and I love when they finally enter a space and make things better overall. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I will further investigate how to spend $120 on packaging for my $15 Ikea charger
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 23 of 30
    RobinZypherRobinZypher Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    :P I owned a wireless charger from my S7edge never bother using it before for my iPhone X and not planning too. I'm already happy with fast charging capabilities of my phone using my MBP charger never care about this wireless thingy again its bothersome and piece of crap currently unless they can adopt real fast charge on that aswell
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    AirPower lol!! Sounds funny, more interested in the new phones instead of it.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mac-daddy said:
    Spending $150 on a charging mat is absolutely laughable. Since when did it become so hard to plug a wire into your phone to charge it? 
    Nonsense. It's about convenience, especially while traveling. I'll gladly toss one of these into my bag rather than multiple chargers and cables. 
    Is the mat as big that you can charge multiple devices? Are you going to have special compartment in your luggage to fit it? Well I prefel to wind few cables with multi-USB charger instead. It is matter of taste. Also as one mentioned electromagnetic charging has its limitations if knows how it works. cables have only one limitation: distance.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Laughable for you maybe. What makes your opinion the last word on the subject? Apple will sell tons of them and I will be one of the first in line for my iPhone 8 and Watch. A few premium luxury automobiles are advertising wireless charging shelves in their vehicles. Get in the car and drop your iPhone on the charging shelf and off you go. 
    Get something else on that charging pad in the car accidently and see what happens. As much as portable makes sense, the car has limited space and safety is the key. And yes $150 for utility such as charger is steep price - it should not be questionable. Regular cable full power chargers now cost $10-$30 and they can charge up to 8 devices at the same time. Apple makes things expesive and we should noty discuss that. I do charge iPad four iPhones and some Android as well as some special purpose batreries on the same USB charger at the same time for fraction of fancy wireless pad. I could understand $50-$70 but $150 is really laughable (Charger for half of price of some mobile devices? Seriously?)
  • Reply 27 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    deminsd said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Nonsense. It's about convenience, especially while traveling. I'll gladly toss one of these into my bag rather than multiple chargers and cables. 
    How do you charge your iPad with this?  Oh, wait...need another charger in that bag!  So much for convenience.
    My iPad doesn't require daily charing or charging simultaneously as my watch, phone, airpods. And it uses the *same cable* that plugs into the AirPower. It doesn't get any easier.
  • Reply 28 of 30

deminsd said:
    lkrupp said:
    mac-daddy said:
    Yeah, off you go without CarPlay because you need to be plugged in for CarPlay!!!!  Laughable!!!
    What the fuck are you talking about? CarPlay comes in wired and wireless varieties, and wireless bluetooth for music regardless. 

Troll harder, bro.
  • Reply 29 of 30

deminsd said:
    mac-daddy said:
    How do you charge your iPad with this?  Oh, wait...need another charger in that bag!  So much for convenience.
    So 4 cables and chargers is more convenient than 2?
    It's even better than that -- one cable, as the same exact Lightning cable that connects the AirPower at night can be removed and plugged into the iPad when needed.

So one cable in my bag, to charge all my devices (don't need to charge my iPad at night the way I need to charge my phone, watch, AirPods so no issue there). Yep, this will be convenient. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mac-daddy said:
    Is the mat as big that you can charge multiple devices? Are you going to have special compartment in your luggage to fit it? Well I prefel to wind few cables with multi-USB charger instead. It is matter of taste. Also as one mentioned electromagnetic charging has its limitations if knows how it works. cables have only one limitation: distance.
    I consider the size of the AirPower small, especially since it's flat. One cable, for all my mobile devices while on the road. I don't care that it charges slower than wired, as I'll be sleeping w/ it on the bedside. Just like how I don't wake up to unplug my iPhone when its finished charging and is just sitting there doing nothing for hours.