Apple Pencil support, 512GB flash storage might be coming to 2018 iPhone refresh

Posted:
in iPhone
An analyst firm has chimed in on 2018 iPhone rumors, adding the possibility that Apple Pencil support may be coming to the high-end releases in the fall.

The company expects that the the 6.1-inch LCD version will come with Face ID, Dual-SIM technology. The firm expects it to retail for between $699 and $749.

The 5.8-inch OLED iPhone will be priced at $899 to $949. The 6.5-inch device will come in storage capacities up to 512GB, with one variant of the size potentially having dual-SIM support and ex expected to be "limited within $1,000 threshold as to encourage purchasing from consumers" according to Trendforce.

Trendforce isn't clear what specific models will get Apple Pencil support, saying that it will be "offered as an option."

Both the 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models are expected to have 4GB of RAM. The 6.1-inch LED devices will have 3GB of RAM, the same as the iPhone X.

The analyst firm believes that all three models are expected to ship in September and October.

Previous iPhone rumors

Rumors about the new devices started in January.

More recently, pricing information has pegged the 5.8-inch OLED model as costing between $800 to $900. The 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" priced between $900 to $1000. The LCD model is likely to be between $600 to $700, according to the supply chain.

Foxconn will continue to be the main iPhone assembler this year, with it said to handle all 5.8-inch OLED units and 80 to 90 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED version, as well as 30 percent of LCD model orders. Pegatron is identified as taking 60 percent of the LCD orders and between 10 and 15 percent of the 6.5-inch OLED model orders, while Wistron makes up the remainder.

As of late, there have been alleged front glass leaks, and mockups floating around the Internet of the same sizes as predicted by Trendforce.

Other than the Apple Pencil claim, the report by Trendforce doesn't seem to be based on any new information. Instead, like previous reports by the firm, it appears to be an amalgam of data from several sources.

Additionally, Trendforce is repeating the "lower than expected" and "fallen short of the high expectations" line for iPhone X sales, without addressing which metrics are being used for the comparison.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Is there any possibility that iPhone X Plus screen would be full 4K?

That will be huge. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Out of curiosity, what's the use case of a 6-inch 4K screen?
    redgeminipa[Deleted User]racerhomie3claire1bigbillygoatgruffwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 42
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Watching iTunes 4K movies that I have plenty. 
  • Reply 4 of 42
    When is the reported Apple Event?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    When is the reported Apple Event?
    Hasn't been announced yet. We're guessing the week of Sept. 10.
    chasm
  • Reply 6 of 42

matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Oh, iTunes streaming? You should have a 1080p version if you got them through iTunes. Not quite the same resolution, obviously.

If you've got them from a different source than iTunes, they'll play on the iPhone now.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 7 of 42
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Question of the day right there. I’m frequently baffled by the requests for some many pixels in a small display that there is no way people will be able to discern them. 

If we already have phones with so many pixels that the majority of the population can’t see the individual pixels then why do we need to, say, double that number? I just don’t get it.

More pixels requires more processing power which requires more battery use and potentially more RAM which requires more battery use. For what?
    racerhomie3bigbillygoatgruffchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Do you think that LCD model will have the same A12 CPU as OLED models?
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    That'll matter on a screen so small... why? Pushing such high pixel counts on such small screens is nothing more than marketing hype, as density that high on such a small screen only causes more issues than needed, such as battery consumption and performance degradation. It's pretty much impossible to see pixels on the iPhone X as it is, unless you're intentionally trying to see them at an inch away from your eyes. The only way I can see the pixels on my iPhone X is if I use a jeweler's loop.
    racerhomie3chasmwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Support for Apple Pencil on the iPhone would be somewhat useful for the Apple Store if they care about capturing legible signatures. I suppose they really don't care what it looks like but my signature done on an iPhone using my finger looks like it was done by a tree dwelling primate. 

Other than that, I struggle to see many current use cases for using an Apple Pencil with an iPhone but I'm open to suggestions. At the very least Apple would have to come up with a shorter pencil if they expect you'll carry it around with you. Unless of course Apple is going to release the Apple Pocket Protector™  that not only provides a convenient and overtly stylish docking port for your Apple Pencil, but also recharges the pencil, and perhaps a tiny powered screwdriver, in similar fashion to the AirPods storage/charging capsule. Apple logo covered eyeglass tape optional.
    MisterKit[Deleted User]command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    "offered as option" pencil support doesn't make any sense unless the "option" is to buy the Pencil, but this presupposes that the likely candidate model would be the 6.5 inch; the priciest model in the line. Apple certainly isn't going to make a variation of the 6.5 with added Pencil support.

I'd be all in for Pencil support, even though my use case is limited, but I'm just not seeing this rumor as being close to happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 42
    frantisek said:
    Do you think that LCD model will have the same A12 CPU as OLED models?
    Likely, but not certain. There hasn't been any discussion about it at all.

There is precedent. The iPhone SE had the same A9 as the iPhone 6s line -- but the former was released about six months later.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42

matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Oh, iTunes streaming? You should have a 1080p version if you got them through iTunes. Not quite the same resolution, obviously.

If you've got them from a different source than iTunes, they'll play on the iPhone now.

They play but not at full 4K resolution. For instance, on my iPhone X it only play full HD HDR version. 
    chasm
  • Reply 14 of 42
    dewme said: Other than that, I struggle to see many current use cases for using an Apple Pencil with an iPhone but I'm open to suggestions.
    I think a 6.5" screen would be large enough to get some benefit from the Pencil...mostly for photo/art applications + notes/annotations of PDFs etc. 
    mac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This doesn’t seem to be anything more than pure guessing and speculating not based on any rumors or supply chain chatter. But if Apple does bring a version of the pencil to iPhone how do they do it and not have it look like a rip off of the Galaxy Note?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
     "limited within $1,000 threshold as to encourage purchasing from consumers" 

...it's time for analysts to get over this and face the fact that the $1,000 threshold has been broken through and has been proven to be a non issue for sales"
    edited August 2018 crudmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I can perhsps understand them giving the 6.5” Pencil support, but not the smaller iPhone. Even at 6.5” is debatable if it’s a good idea; it may cause product confusion—one of Apple’s favourite games these days. 
  • Reply 18 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Unless you have superman eyes, that's a ridiculous answer. You can still watch 4K scaled down and I'm sure you won't see the difference.
    tmaywatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This doesn’t seem to be anything more than pure guessing and speculating not based on any rumors or supply chain chatter. But if Apple does bring a version of the pencil to iPhone how do they do it and not have it look like a rip off of the Galaxy Note?
    They won’t, because only you care. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    Bragging rights. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon