Turkey's president calls for boycott of Apple products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    The US has military bases in Turkey. If this escalates and the armed forces pull out or get tossed out that opens the door for Russia or China to move in. This is just the start of a much bigger and more complex chain of events.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    spice-boy said:

tmay said:
    U.S. nixed Turkey getting F-35's as they are now considered within sphere of influence of Russia, and frankly, unstable. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/22859/no-stealth-for-you-trump-signs-defense-bill-that-blocks-transfer-of-f-35s-to-turkey This isn't the first, nor will it be the last, boycott of Apple products for political reasons.
    Turkeys not the only country within the "sphere of Russia's influence" I can think of one much closer, no, not Canada. 
    Duly noted!
  • Reply 23 of 50
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    lkrupp said:
    Oh well. Turkey is a disaster waiting to happen, and lets not forget the economic boom the US is currently having eh.
    That “disaster waiting to happen” will be Turkey running into the arms of Vladimir Putin. Erdogan is all but a dictator now and if he pulls Turkey out of NATO we will be in a world of hurt as Turkey is crucial to our ability to retain what little influence we have these days in the Middle East.

But regarding Apple they became a symbol of American power and influence in the world when they reached that $1 Trillion mark. The world’s most valuable company has a giant target on its back now and will be used as a political bargaining chip whenever it suits the situation. Turkey, China, India are not stupid when it comes to using economic threats to remind the U.S. of its limitations. And Apple is a sitting duck right now.
    Turkey and Russia, no that will not mix at all. You should look at recent events.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-34957034/turkey-russia-jet-row-russians-in-turkey-reflect-on-sanctions 
    tallest skilanantksundaram
  • Reply 24 of 50
    It always has to be Apple mentioned as some target. WTF! Another good reason for WS to downgrade the stock. How do the main FANG stocks always avoid these problems?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    JoeBee said:
    Economic boom, lol. Imaginary numbers while wages are down, jobs are vanishing, our schools are war zones and real people are suffering on the street. If Turkey is a disaster waiting to happen, it's only because they are a few steps further down the same road we are on.
    Wages are down? Really? Everywhere I go it says they are hiring. The economy grew quite a bit better for the last two years. UNemployment is really low. 
    The fact that schools are war zones is a responsibility of those who vote for local politicians and determine, what is done in those schools. In any free country there will be people on streets that suffer, if that was their choice. You CANT do anything about it for precicely that reason alone.
    The economy has not grown more in the last 2 years than it had over the previous 6. Or 2 for that matter. Take into account it takes a minimum of 18 months for any changes made to effect the economy, unless you cut stimulus checks which have not been done. So any trends you are seeing were already in place by the previous policies. Just like it took 18 months to start seeing the effects of changes made in 2009. Notice the trend when you factor in the time for changes to take effect.  The Trump tax cuts weren’t passed until December of 2017, so nothing so far has been it’s result.  Allowing the one time tax free repatriation of off shore money was more about allowing the rich easier access to their money before protectionist policies could effect them  few corporations actually passed that money to employees even Apple spent a huge portion of theirs on stock buy back like everyone else, but because they had so much cash to bring, the minimal things announced sounded enormous, but it was a fraction of what they spent on their own stock just last quarter  Don’t be fooled be the media spin and distracts.  I find they will tell you most of the truth, but leave out key info or spin it so it sound like something completely different.  The numbers and trends tell the real story  
    dewmetmayphilboogiebaconstangsphericroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 50
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    spike2013 said:
    The US has military bases in Turkey. If this escalates and the armed forces pull out or get tossed out that opens the door for Russia or China to move in. This is just the start of a much bigger and more complex chain of events.
    The US already strengthened its bond with Israel.
    Reach from there is about the same.
    Also, Israel can act on its own in a way no one can. 
  • Reply 27 of 50
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    JoeBee said:
    Economic boom, lol. Imaginary numbers while wages are down, jobs are vanishing, our schools are war zones and real people are suffering on the street. If Turkey is a disaster waiting to happen, it's only because they are a few steps further down the same road we are on.

Not to get political here, but that just isn't true.  Wages are growing, jobs are booming, record low unemployment, more jobs than people to fill them.  Schools are another matter, but suburban schools and charters are not "war zones" in any respect.  It has nothing to do with the Feds anyway.   Turkey is in no way comparable to the U.S.  
    jbdragonberndog
  • Reply 28 of 50
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

foggyhill said:
    JoeBee said:
    Wages are down? Really? Everywhere I go it says they are hiring. The economy grew quite a bit better for the last two years. UNemployment is really low. 
    The fact that schools are war zones is a responsibility of those who vote for local politicians and determine, what is done in those schools. In any free country there will be people on streets that suffer, if that was their choice. You CANT do anything about it for precicely that reason alone.
    Wages are down buddy when inflation adjusted and not including the top 10%; you're feels has nothing to do with it. As for the rest, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
    If you are an engineer, lawyer or doctor, yeah they're doing great and so fracking what.

Again, just factually inaccurate.  Wages are growing faster than they have in decades...finally.  And why would you exclude the top 10%?   You realize that's dual-income topping out at $133,000 total?  That's two teachers or firefighters or cops or what have you.  Not exactly rich.   And no, the growth is not just for white collar, high-income professionals.  That's what happened under the previous regime.  Steel, autos, small business of all kinds, coal, services, you name it.  The economy is very, very strong and only getting better.  The thing that can hurt it is the massive debt we are incurring.  I realize your comments are likely motivated by political bias (which is fine).   I'm just happy to see the country moving again, no matter who is charge.  
    jbdragon
  • Reply 29 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Anton, please. Don’t fall for bubbles and false normalcy. Never mind outright lies. We’re a few years away from the Second Great Depression. When the market corrects, it will correct to roughly 60% of what it is today. If it was allowed to correct fully (which it won’t be without mass executions), it would correct to just above 30%, BUT the purchasing power of the dollar would be 50x greater.
    tmay said:
    U.S. nixed Turkey getting F-35's as they are now considered within sphere of influence of Russia
    What... officially? Sounds like someone needs to be kicked the fuck out of NATO, then.
    lkrupp said:
    ...if he pulls Turkey out of NATO we will be in a world of hurt as Turkey is crucial to our ability to retain what little influence we have these days in the Middle East.
    Good. Do it.
    spice-boy said:
    Turkeys not the only country within the "sphere of Russia's influence" I can think of one much closer, no, not Canada. 
    Closer to the US? Or closer to the US?
    Political saber rattling. Nothing more.
    When Assad takes his country back and Turkish forces are staring down the barrels of Syrians guns after being pushed back to their OWN border, something tells me it won’t just be political.

And that’s assuming Turkey lasts that long, anyway.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 30 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Oh my god, US will sell 10 iPhones less. 
    tallest skilanantksundaramjbdragonGG1baconstang1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 50
    spike2013 said:
    The US should be shutting down a bunch of these anyway. Complete waste of taxpayer $$$.

If they want to cavort with Russia/China, they can knock themselves out.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your comment, refer to the commenting guidelines below.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    JanNL said:
    I just don't see this having a huge impact on Apple.  People know and love the products.  Apple is not putting the tariffs on these imports.  Thoughts?
    Agree, but you could be surprised as how the people of Turkey ánd Turkish people living in the rest of Europe are slavishly following their "leader". It's unbelievable how some reasonably smart Turkish people are swallowing all the nonsense Erdogan is putting out... but they do.
    Hmmm, that sounds familiar. As I recall, somebody else once called for a ban on Apple. Can’t quite remember the name . . .
    Solitokyojimubaconstangsphericroundaboutnow1983jony0
  • Reply 34 of 50
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    genovelle said:
    JoeBee said:
    The economy has not grown more in the last 2 years than it had over the previous 6. Or 2 for that matter. Take into account it takes a minimum of 18 months for any changes made to effect the economy, unless you cut stimulus checks which have not been done. So any trends you are seeing were already in place by the previous policies. Just like it took 18 months to start seeing the effects of changes made in 2009. Notice the trend when you factor in the time for changes to take effect.  The Trump tax cuts weren’t passed until December of 2017, so nothing so far has been it’s result.  Allowing the one time tax free repatriation of off shore money was more about allowing the rich easier access to their money before protectionist policies could effect them  few corporations actually passed that money to employees even Apple spent a huge portion of theirs on stock buy back like everyone else, but because they had so much cash to bring, the minimal things announced sounded enormous, but it was a fraction of what they spent on their own stock just last quarter  Don’t be fooled be the media spin and distracts.  I find they will tell you most of the truth, but leave out key info or spin it so it sound like something completely different.  The numbers and trends tell the real story  
    Very well articulated and backed by data. Kind of scary to bring un-spun facts and logic into a discussion these days.

As far as geopolitical issues are concerned, I always go back to the fact that when I was in the US military I was trained on the maintenance of one the most sophisticated sensor systems the US had developed up to that point in time. Several of my classmates were Iranians. At the time the US was very friendly and supportive of Iran, offering them insider information and access to some of our best technology and systems. That all changed, instantly, with the capture of the US Embassy in Tehran. In retrospect you have to question why the US would expose itself to such high risks. To understand why you have to consider the reality of US relationships. The US has long standing relationships based on trust and it has other relationships based on transactional benefits. The United State's relationships with Iran (under the Shah), Turkey, (most middle eastern countries) and China are probably transactional. If one side or both sides feels slighted, steps on the other's toes, or commits a major offense all bets are off and former friends become instant enemies. US relationships with UK, France, Canada, (some EU countries), and Mexico are probably based on trust. These relationships can survive greater challenges without resorting to reclassification of the relationship. Unfortunately, in the past two years, the US has started to lean more towards treating all relationships as transactional and has done little to transform transactional relationships like China to be ones based on trust. This is very unfortunate and unsettling for long term social and economic stability and indicative of the short term gain mindset that has infected all facets of life.

Apple is unfortunately an innocent bystander caught up in a situation that they cannot control. They won't be the last.

baconstangsphericroundaboutnow1983watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 35 of 50
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    JanNL said:
    I just don't see this having a huge impact on Apple.  People know and love the products.  Apple is not putting the tariffs on these imports.  Thoughts?
    Agree, but you could be surprised as how the people of Turkey ánd Turkish people living in the rest of Europe are slavishly following their "leader". It's unbelievable how some reasonably smart Turkish people are swallowing all the nonsense Erdogan is putting out... but they do.
    Yeah, nothing like that could ever happen in the United States.   Our "leader" never puts out any nonsense and never would and if he did, responsible people would never accept it.   And we'd never make such silly threats against other countries or foreign companies. 
    dewmebaconstangspheric1983
  • Reply 36 of 50
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    JoeBee said:
    Oh yeah... sure...

• Reply 37 of 50
    Switching to Android would help Russia "look over the shoulder" of anyone they want to in Turkey.  But it would help our spy agencies too, so I say go for it! Although with fewer Turkish lira to the dollar I'd imagine Apple's prices in Istanbul are going up.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would be nice if you would also delete a quoted deletion. Thanks!

• Reply 39 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Would be nice if you would also delete a quoted deletion. Thanks!

Huh. I thought I got them all.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    JoeBee said:
    The fact that schools are war zones is a responsibility of those who vote for local politicians and determine, what is done in those schools. In any free country there will be people on streets that suffer, if that was their choice. You CANT do anything about it for precisely that reason alone.

No, wages are not down, economy is not collapsing and the world is not ending. It is actually the opposite right now.
    Stop watching/reading/listening to BS news that fed you that crap, and instead, look at the facts.
    Wrong. Inflation and lack of pay rises means that effective wages are down. 
    baconstangwilliamlondon
This discussion has been closed.