Apple Pencil support, 512GB flash storage might be coming to 2018 iPhone refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    dewme said: Other than that, I struggle to see many current use cases for using an Apple Pencil with an iPhone but I'm open to suggestions.
    I think a 6.5" screen would be large enough to get some benefit from the Pencil...mostly for photo/art applications + notes/annotations of PDFs etc. 
    Hand written notes will be a big thing for a certain niche of folks. There are a lot of people who prefer handwritten notes, ranging from journalists, students, engineers to managers, and having that available in the phone you always carry with you and auto-synced across devices would be a nice feature. 

Drawing and annotations will be a nice feature some folks, but not as big a feature as handwritten notes, back of the envelope style doodling stuff. 

There still needs to be improvements in UI and software for styli and typing though. 
    mac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    So with the higher end phones getting more features that the LCD 6.1" iPhone will not, I wonder if we getting closer to an iPhone/iPhone Pro naming convention? Seems like something that could happen now.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    I don’t see Apple adding Pencil support. They’d need to add a digitizer to the screen, increasing costs for every user when only a fraction would use it. I also don’t see Apple storing a version of a stylus inside the phone as this takes up valuable space that could be used for something else (like battery).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    So with the higher end phones getting more features that the LCD 6.1" iPhone will not, I wonder if we getting closer to an iPhone/iPhone Pro naming convention? Seems like something that could happen now.  
    It looks like it is going to be:

iPhone 7/8 and TBD
    iPhone X w/5.8” and 6.5” display

The X style 6.1” LCD, who knows right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    “I don’t see Apple adding Pencil support. They’d need to add a digitizer to the screen, increasing costs for every user when only a fraction would use it.”

But they did this on the iPad. 
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    crosslad said:
    “I don’t see Apple adding Pencil support. They’d need to add a digitizer to the screen, increasing costs for every user when only a fraction would use it.”

Exactly, the cheapest iPad ever offered as well.

If this rumor is true, it probably means the end of the iPad mini, a device I would very much like to have Pencil support for. So it means if I want a small note taking device, I’ll be looking at the 6.5” iPhone. Not ideal for me.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    crosslad said:

The iPad is not the iPhone. A far higher percentage of iPad users would be likely to use a Pencil compared the the iPhone. Better form factor and much better selection of Apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:
    Is there any possibility that iPhone X Plus screen would be full 4K?

That will be huge. 
    Out of curiosity, what's the use case of a 6-inch 4K screen?
    Watching iTunes 4K movies that I have plenty. 
    Anything beyond the current iPhone's resolution is simply a waste of resources, both in making the display, graphics performance, and power usage. Your eyes will not be able to discern the smaller pixel size without using some sort of magnification. The only reasonable use case I can imagine is indeed using magnification by putting the phone into a VR headset. But since the phone's flat screen is not handled well by the dual lens setup on the headsets at such a short viewing distance it'll still look like crud, even if it were a 16K screen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Hm! Could this be the reason Sammy is so paranoid and mocking Apple with their crappy pen lately? 

matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 

No disrespect, excuse me but... This just pisses me off. This is pedaled by the iKnockoff nerds who believe everything they see/read. Android OEMs pedal this BS and then mock Apple for "only" having 1080p.
    This confuses people and makes them believe 4K is better than 1080p on that tiny screen. I have to CONSTANTLY explain this to the iKnockoff morons and it just pisses me off after years(like since 2008) of explaining this.

Sorry.
    bigbillygoatgruffcommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Who will carry the Apple pencil with/on them all the time.. with its currunt size and ergonomic issues.. ?
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Who will carry the Apple pencil with/on them all the time.. with its currunt size and ergonomic issues.. ?
    The same people who carry pencils, pens, and paper notebooks around them all the time. There are a lot more people using pencil, pen and paper than people using the Galaxy Note. If the X models support the Pencil or Pencil 2, or whatever new stylus Apple may have, it will be trying to address pen and paper folks, not Galaxy Note folks.
    mac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Don't need to carry it around all the time. When I head out to a meeting, I don't have to take my huge iPad and look like a geek trying to balance it on my leg and take notes. Now I just grab my phone and my Pencil and off I go, easily holding the phone in one hand and writing on it.

Each use case will vary, but I'm very much looking forward to the possibility -- except for the part of carrying around a 6.5" phone. I really hope this means they'll update the iPad mini, or add a 6.5" iPod Touch with pencil support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    What I find so odd is how some want to have a stylus for iPhone... there's already styluses out there that lets you write on iPhones. I have one and I pretty much never used it on my iPhone simply because it's too small to write on and the stylus just adds bulk to it. I just type text and use a finger to draw. 

I just don't see how Apple would add an extra cost for adding it to satisfy a small percentage of consumers. 

Face it, consumers can be wrong and don't realize how their requests can create more problems than they bargain for. 

More choices != more productivity 

edited August 2018
  • Reply 34 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    4K screen: extremely unlikely, as on other phones that have that (or close to it) its a major battery suck.

Pencil support: unlikely, because it would hurt iPad sales (and an iPad is cheaper than an iPhone ...), because of the inevitable violation of Jobs’ Law on Styluses, and because the experience would be unsatisfactory compared to an iPad. However, I can’t rule it out completely because Apple would make a few million bucks a quarter selling replacement Pencils for iPhone users (iPad users lose them too, but not as much as iPhone users surely would).

512GB storage: very unlikely — this would just give TSA agents more fun when they confiscate your iPhone at the border. You should storing your stuff in the cloud (and subscribing to Apple Music or Spotify) if you need something more than your apps.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    mac_128 said:
    Don't need to carry it around all the time. When I head out to a meeting, I don't have to take my huge iPad and look like a geek trying to balance it on my leg and take notes. Now I just grab my phone and my Pencil and off I go, easily holding the phone in one hand and writing on it.

Each use case will vary, but I'm very much looking forward to the possibility -- except for the part of carrying around a 6.5" phone. I really hope this means they'll update the iPad mini, or add a 6.5" iPod Touch with pencil support.
    Interesting. Agree about the iPad being too large. My favorite note taking device for meetings is a 6"x9" steno pad and a pen. I then transcribe my notes to digital format which actually helps with recall. Perhaps an iPad Mini sized device would be about the right size, especially if I could integrate whiteboard photos into the handwritten notes on the device. The main issue I'd still have is that writing on a glass surface has never felt easy or natural for me. Perhaps some different tips for the Apple Pencil would alleviate the unnatural feel of writing on glass with it.

In any case, even the largest jumbo phone that's being speculated about would still be way too small for me. Add to that an Apple Pencil is rather long and slippery and I can see it simply adding a layer of claptrap that would distract me and reduce my engagement in the meeting. Technology sometimes gets in the way. Despite many attempts over the past 25 years to make meetings more productive with the use of various technologies I've yet to find anything that adds a whole lot of value. About the best thing I can think of is taking pictures of whiteboards, screen shots, flip charts, etc., with my phone.  No doubt, there are hundreds of terabytes of recorded video teleconferences laying dormant on every company's servers, slowly gathering digital dust and decay, and with almost nobody giving a crap that they even exist. But my steno pads and digital photos still work for me. Capture, digitize, and consume on the cheap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    When is Apple releasing a USB-C thunderbolt 3 display?
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 42
    claire1 said:
    Hm! Could this be the reason Sammy is so paranoid and mocking Apple with their crappy pen lately? 

matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 

No disrespect, excuse me but... This just pisses me off. This is pedaled by the iKnockoff nerds who believe everything they see/read. Android OEMs pedal this BS and then mock Apple for "only" having 1080p.
    This confuses people and makes them believe 4K is better than 1080p on that tiny screen. I have to CONSTANTLY explain this to the iKnockoff morons and it just pisses me off after years(like since 2008) of explaining this.

Sorry.

How could Android OEMs mock Apple when the best they have is 1440, a far cry from full 4K?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    No, the screen size and resolutions will be:
    - iPhone X: 5,8" super retina (scale 3, 458 ppi) OLED with 1125 x 2436 pixels (same as the current iPhone X)
    - iPhone X Plus: 6,5" super retina (scale 3, 458 ppi) OLED with 1242 x 2688 pixels.
    - iPhone: 6,1" retina (scale 2, 326 ppi) LCD with 828 x 1792 pixels.

The 6,5" Plus and 6,1" will have the same number of logical points (414 x 896).
  • Reply 39 of 42
    matrix077 said:

That will be huge. 
    No, the screen size and resolutions will be:
    - iPhone Xs: 5,8" super retina (scale 3, 458 ppi) OLED with 1125 x 2436 pixels (same as the current iPhone X)
    - iPhone Xs Plus: 6,5" super retina (scale 3, 458 ppi) OLED with 1242 x 2688 pixels.
    - Iphone Xc: 6,1" retina (scale 2, 326 ppi) LCD with 828 x 1792 pixels.

The iPhone Xs Plus and Xc will have the same number of logical points (414 x 896).

You’re a dream breaker. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    NY1822 said:
     "limited within $1,000 threshold as to encourage purchasing from consumers" 

...it's time for analysts to get over this and face the fact that the $1,000 threshold has been broken through and has been proven to be a non issue for sales"
    Not quite, the mix of lower end models is much higher this year.