Kuo: 'Apple Car' likely to launch in 2023 to 2025, fuel $2 trillion company valuation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A bit presumptuous of Kuo I’d say.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    maestro64 said:
    This guy is usually good at what's coming in 6 months since we had some friends working at Apple suppliers. Beyond this he is just guessing, he has no eyes and ears inside Apple so no ideas what the future holds. To think a car can drive  another 1T valuations is nuts all the car companies today do not add up to that.

This guy is better off trying to figure out what this falls iPhone will be.
    Indeed!
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Oh no, not that picture again...
    The dreaded egg returns! :)
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Apple could not make a bigger mistake. It is because Apple is a U.S. company and the U.S. is car crazy that they have such a blind spot. Apple should be focussing on ways to reduce the need to travel and on the efficiency of the residual need. Car travel is not it. Within 20 years private vehicles will be all-electric but only as a stepping stone to no private vehicles. Apple should be exploiting VR and AR to make travelling redundant and on AI to optimise public transport. 
    frantisek
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Will someone at Apple have the good sense to think from the start about markets other than the US? Safety standards, possibly charging cables and chargers may be different (or by that time, totally harmonised int he EU), and we would hope that, if Tesla is able to sell cars int he EU, Apple also will.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Kuo actually sounds about right although I think it could be sooner...

I have a feeling that some of Apple Physical Car's hardware work is being done at zoox.  ( zoox.com )
    About a year ago, 17 Apple car engineers joined zoox together as a group and I think Apple may have arranged that move.  Not sure who is funding them.
    Zoox is extremely secretive and they appear to use autonomous technology that is patented by Apple like map-less autonomous driving.

Check out their "crab like" 4 wheel steering capable test cars.

Interesting thesis and the video was very interesting too. Thanks for the link.
    davgreg
  • Reply 27 of 73
    I think Kuo is right. 
    But I really pray ,Apple chooses a Uber like usage model ,since buying a car is not what most folks can do.
    Say what?

buying a car only takes one to have gainful employment and a responsible sense. 

Its not rocket science. 
    But who will have a job in 5-10 years? Aren't Robots and AI supposed to replace us meatsacks by then?
    Even renting a car/taxi will take money and there may not be much of that around if few of us have jobs.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    It is question where is Apple heading and whether Apple knows that as their strategy evolved and changed a bit in last years I would say.

They can:
    be building just autonomous system integrated with rest of iOS ecosystem and find a partner within car companies even it failed few years ago
    or it can license it what is not much probable
    design car completely alone or with some engineering company and build it yourself or in OEM factory

And question is whether first version will be fully autonomous system or system still needing driver control. Final goal is fully autonomous one of course. Zoox
    as partner looks interesting.

And there are markets with different habits and rules. In US as I got you have to sell cars via dealers. Not sure we have such rule in Europe.
    We can guess Apple cars will be premium one so they may have one factory for whole world or two, US and Asia. premium cars can withstand some transport costs.
    In case Apple want to build them in masses they need more factories.

And AR glasses. They can be of good use here as they can give driver better experience any projection on front screen. When you turn head they will give you all info in that direction. There can be short distance wireless charging ready at that time so may work hours without cable or massive battery.

Even Apple would never released a car It can have positive effect on whole industry that will try to come up with solutions before Apple so it can stir innovation.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 29 of 73
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Oh no, not that picture again...
    I literally came here to write just that.
    That picture must be erased from all internet logs. It hurts.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    I think Kuo is right. 
    But I really pray ,Apple chooses a Uber like usage model ,since buying a car is not what most folks can do.
    Ive been leasing for years. For me, THAT is the future. No way do I want a “shared” car.
    davgregiqatedo
  • Reply 31 of 73
    timmillea said:
    Apple could not make a bigger mistake. It is because Apple is a U.S. company and the U.S. is car crazy that they have such a blind spot. Apple should be focussing on ways to reduce the need to travel and on the efficiency of the residual need. Car travel is not it. Within 20 years private vehicles will be all-electric but only as a stepping stone to no private vehicles. Apple should be exploiting VR and AR to make travelling redundant and on AI to optimise public transport. 
    Nah. I can’t imagine shared public vehicles ever become a thing for people who can afford to buy or lease, but I believe eventually self-driving cars will be so good it will become unthinkable to drive your own car, unless you’re a criminal or terrorist.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    timmillea said:
    Nah. I can’t imagine shared public vehicles ever become a thing for people who can afford to buy or lease, but I believe eventually self-driving cars will be so good it will become unthinkable to drive your own car, unless you’re a criminal or terrorist.
    Or want freedom. These autonomous cars will be centrally controlled. If Big Brother wants you to pull over, you will pull over. With the doors locked. By then I will feel like Sylvester Stallon in Demolition Man.
    bigbillygoatgruff
  • Reply 33 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The last time I checked the market capitalization value of the big car companies, it was something around $200B for Toyota followed by most of the other big companies at around $60B each. If you add them all up perhaps they could make $1T but I doubt it.

Apple should do well selling cars considering that CarPlay in current cars doesn't have access to the full set of car data like tire pressure, gas usage, window controls, etc. If Apple ever builds a car it will definitely have access to all the car's data. When Apple sells its own cars (with "CarPlay+") some other car manufacturers could refuse to install CarPlay on their own cars, at which time consumers will be forced to purchase a car from Apple if they like the Apple Ecosystem. It will be like the current Mac/PC situation, where consumers must choose between Apple hardware & software or Microsoft+Vendors hardware/software, except that now Microsoft Windows is replaced with Google Android Auto. In the mid 90s Apple allowed hardware manufacturers to install Mac OS on their own hardware, but people don't remember that, and 20 years from now people may not remember the day when car companies installed CarPlay on their cars.
    Risky exposing your internal car electronics to a consumer OS.  If an app crashes and causes a part of my OS to restart, are my car windows going to open?  Worse?

I don't think I trust iOS's resilience enough to put it anywhere near the real-time systems embedded in my vehicle, travelling 90 kmph down a busy road.

Keep the entertainment and the vehicle operations systems isolated from each other pls.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 34 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    timmillea said:
    Or want freedom. These autonomous cars will be centrally controlled. If Big Brother wants you to pull over, you will pull over. With the doors locked. By then I will feel like Sylvester Stallon in Demolition Man.
    Do you get involved in police chases often?
  • Reply 35 of 73
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    One of the best memories of my life was a fortnight cruising down the coast in a convertible with a beautiful blonde beside me.  We went where we wanted, and no one knew where we were. We lived out of the car. We were free. We got married, got kids and a mortgage. Freedom over. But that is another story. Thing is, we knew we were free and the world was our oyster.

You won’t get that feeling in an cookie cutter boxy EV accessed by subscription service. 
    anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamhubbax
  • Reply 36 of 73
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    entropys said:
     These autonomous cars will be centrally controlled. If Big Brother wants you to pull over, you will pull over. With the doors locked. By then I will feel like Sylvester Stallon in Demolition Man.
    Enhance your calm, John Spartan.  
    netmage
  • Reply 37 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple Car concept:

edited August 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Apple isn't going to manufacture an entire car unless they have major technologies to leverage versus competitors in the same space. Just look at Tesla: currently, the only thing they have going for them is the perception of a higher quality build and nicer designs. The actual technology inside the car is no different than anyone else. That's not the type of product that Apple would be interested in producing. 
  • Reply 39 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple isn't going to manufacture an entire car unless they have major technologies to leverage versus competitors in the same space. Just look at Tesla: currently, the only thing they have going for them is the perception of a higher quality build and nicer designs. The actual technology inside the car is no different than anyone else. That's not the type of product that Apple would be interested in producing. 
    A technological advantage isn’t why people buy Apple products. Ease of use, design and customer service are where Apple excel. A car needs all three. Technology wise Tesla are winning the electric car race, but on a design front the company is lacking.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 40 of 73
    ireland said: A technological advantage isn’t why people buy Apple products. Ease of use, design and customer service are where Apple excel. A car needs all three. Technology wise Tesla are winning the electric car race, but on a design front the company is lacking.
    What makes it easy to use? Technology, i.e., the operating systems and other aspects like custom chip and hardware designs. If you've noticed, Apple is dropping products from their lineup that didn't leverage any Apple-specific technologies (Cinema Display, WiFi routers). A car wouldn't be any different. Apple isn't interested in using industrial design by itself to differentiate things.

Also, what specific technology does Tesla have that is significantly different from competitors? It's definitely not the electric tech or batteries.
    edited August 2018