Tim Cook honors the late Aretha Franklin

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2018
After the passing Thursday morning of the legendary Queen of Soul, Apple's CEO says "her voice will keep lifting us, through the music she gave the world."

Aretha Franklin on Apple Music

Following the death of the legendary American soul singer Aretha Franklin, Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted his condolences.

"We mourn the passing of Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul," Cook posted to Twitter Thursday morning. "her voice will keep lifting us, through the music she gave the world. Our thoughts are with her family, her loved ones and fans everywhere. Take her hand, precious Lord, and lead her home."

We mourn the passing of Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul. Her voice will keep lifting us, through the music she gave the world. Our thoughts are with her family, her loved ones and fans everywhere. Take her hand, precious Lord, and lead her home. pic.twitter.com/I84HTEVZU1

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

A towering figure in American popular and soul music, Franklin won 18 Grammy Awards and sold over 75 million records worldwide. Her biggest hits included "Respect," "Think," "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" and "Chain of Fools."

Franklin died of cancer Thursday at age 76, a few days after a public announcement that she had entered hospice care kicked off a wave of tributes from throughout the music industry and beyond.

Most of the significant music in Franklin's catalog is available on Apple Music. Franklin also appeared last year in an Apple Music-exclusive documentary about music impresario Clive Davis.
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    RIP Aretha.
    ronnchasm
  • Reply 2 of 10
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    She inspired generations of singers and music lovers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0tf35Mbo
  • Reply 3 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Wow, I guess I must have been living under a rock this morning. Had no idea she passed until coming to AI. RIP Aretha. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I love Tim
    manfred zorn
  • Reply 5 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Well, that was not what I wanted to see first thing this morning.

RIP and , of course R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Ms Franklin.

chasm1983
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Sad news indeed. 

• Reply 7 of 10
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Very sad news. RIP Aretha, you were and are a legend.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Wow, I guess I must have been living under a rock this morning. Had no idea she passed until coming to AI. RIP Aretha. 
    Same here.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Amazing singing talent. The only limit on her career was material, she struggled when she did not good material as she was dependent upon others compositions. This limited her to interpreting the material of others. And of like Art Garfunkel- amazing voice, but not a songwriter. As a side note, a group is trying to preserve her childhood home in Memphis. Do a quick search and you might want to help them honor this legend.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    davgreg said:
    Amazing singing talent. The only limit on her career was material, she struggled when she did not good material as she was dependent upon others compositions. This limited her to interpreting the material of others. And of like Art Garfunkel- amazing voice, but not a songwriter. As a side note, a group is trying to preserve her childhood home in Memphis. Do a quick search and you might want to help them honor this legend.
    I agree great singers careers hing on producers and songwriters. Ms Franklin was so talented she lifted mediocre songs to good and good songs to great. Speaking of Simon and Garfunkel here version of "Bridge over troubled water" is chillingly beautiful.