Google may be prepping self-designed smart display for Christmas

Posted:
in General Discussion
Potentially creating an even bigger gap with Apple in the smartspeaker market, Google is looking to ship its own smart display in time for the holiday shopping season, a report claimed on Friday.

The Lenovo Smart Display in action.
The Lenovo Smart Display in action.

"Google targets to ship some 3 million units for the first batch of the new model of smart speaker that comes with a screen," said one of several Nikkei sources. Few other details have been teased, but the product would presumably become the new flagship of Google's Smart Display platform, launched earlier this year.

The first such hardware was actually the third-party Lenovo Smart Display. LG, JBL, and Sony are working on their own equivalents.

The Smart Display platform is a branch of Google's Android Things, and mostly enhances the use of Google Assistant with visual feedback. It can also perform tasks that are hard or impossible on the audio-only Google Home however, such as watching YouTube videos and security cameras, or taking people step-by-step through recipes and driving directions.

Apple is already a latecomer to the smartspeaker space, having only launched the HomePod in February 2018. Amazon pioneered the market with the Echo in 2014, and the Google Home arrived in November 2016. Apple has so far bet on raw audio quality over Siri functionality, charging $349.

Rumors have swirled that Apple could ship a cheaper HomePod to combat its weak market position. There have been no rumors of a model with a display, despite the incoming wave of Smart Displays, and Amazon's existing Echo Show and Echo Spot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Silly Google. Christmas is for Apple.
    SpamSandwichanton zuykovracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Slap a speaker on a tablet, and prop it up with a stand and you got a Smat Display...?

Removal of battery optional...

bonobobanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just imagine what IT will be able to track without your knowledge!
    tallest skilrotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Just imagine what IT will be able to track without your knowledge!
    These smart devices are certainly capable of "understanding" (!) how to deliver... ahem... More relevant results. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Google LOVES to spy on you. 
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Slap a speaker on a tablet, and prop it up with a stand and you got a Smat Display...?

Removal of battery optional...

Sort of. Smart displays have a custom UI that makes them easier to use at a glance.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, it might be if they can deliver the stuff on time.

FolioRoger_Fingaswatto_cobraGilliam_BatesGilliam_Bates
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:

Yup. The challenges of making products that so many people want and how to build them fast enough.
    racerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    While the screen version looks clunky, competition is really amping between these three. Major pushes by Google You Tube and Amazon Music promoting their music streaming next quarter. Part of their strategy now seems to be let's hook 'em on our own ecosystem to loosen the grip on the iPhone. I won't be surprised to see Amazon try and reintroduce a phone in the next few years.

Meanwhile, for the few that might have missed this latest test of Siri against rival agents in today's NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/17/technology/alexa-siri-conversation.html
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apropos of nothing, it looks like AAPL May hit $220 today or next week. It has been leaping tall buildings this whole week.

That is all.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Apropos of nothing, it looks like AAPL May hit $220 today or next week. It has been leaping tall buildings this whole week.

That is all.
    Love this stock so much. Remember it was just in $90 not long ago...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

The reason Apple can’t really compete with this will be SIRI. Not a supply chain issue, so current management can’t figure out what to do.

• Reply 13 of 21
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    entropys said:

The reason Apple can’t really compete with this will be SIRI. Not a supply chain issue, so current management can’t figure out what to do.

Even if not 100% rooted in fact, the laconic observation still appeals :smile: 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Rayz2016 said:

Does it come with a pair of Glasses?

Now available at your nearest floating container... er uh... Google Store, the SmartScreen Spyker system¡

(You say it does'nt have a camera -- why the hell do you think they are giving away Glasses 'just pay shipping and handling'). /s
  • Reply 15 of 21
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Apple needs to craft a kitchen app for iOS, prop your iPad on a stand next to your optional Home Pod and “wha-lah”, problem solved.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Yes this will be the Christmas of the HomePod.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

entropys said:

I'm sure Lenovo feels great about this new production from Google.   Another partner screwed over.   

It can't long for the Samsung version shows up...   I hope it is at least better than Google's.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I hope they've zeroed in on the 3 names that they will be renaming the product with in rapid succession.
  • Reply 19 of 21

Not sure if this was a deliberate play, but it reminded me instantly of "silly rabbit, tricks are for kids"!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I think I’m missing something...

What is the need for this?
    I have a MacBook Pro, iMac5K, iPad Pro, iPhone X, Apple Watch, Apple TV, AirPods and about to get a HomePod.  
    What’s its purpose?
    I find Siri extremely useful, except for some very unique situations.  My devices are within reach, or already on me, so why the extra ecosystem?
    Im not about to use the tiny screen that I can’t hold and walk around my house with...?
    My smart devices are automated, and Siri handles scene setting by voice.
    I don’t have kids, are these for kids?